Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

1kg robots - Hellfire Labs - Qld

This will explain it all:

http://www.abbl.org/~hellfire/soh.WMV
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Music inspired by the Olympics.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Last edited by kkeerroo on Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sozbots rule Twisted Evil

Comp coming up

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:16 pm 
andrew

I sense a new weight limit coming on. A new comp system now as well. NOt just are we stuck with featherweights and lightweights to build em cheap but nwo we have these tiny little fighters.

That had to be the coolest things ever. What parts did u use, i noticed a vdd kit spinner assembly and blade mod in there. Also a controller (r those the barello or scorpion ones) what drive motors did u use besides those dick smith ones.

Also what weight limit is it again.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:41 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

2 x Scorpion controllers. We got the discount because we bought 2.
Just the VDD blade, not a kit. The motor is from Dick Smiths. Recomend the hub as I might have to get one as well. I'm using parts from a disk drive at the moment and its bending so the blade hits the motor shaft.
All the drive motors are from Dick Smith. But we stripped the gears of SOH already.
The wheels and hubs are from robot combat, but the hubs don't fit well. We might go to the hobby shop and get some prop adapters instead.
The weight limit is 450g. But we are over. Mainly because we have big batteries so we can play for an hour before recharging. If we get proper ant batteries we'll be under.

And the arena is 1.2m square with 3mm polycarb on the roof and one wall and 3mm MDF on the other walls. We'll be changing the MDF walls to polycarb later.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

i am mega impressed guys.
nice job.
I would love to build something similar but if i cant do it cheap then buggar it. not spending all that money on something so small when i could build a featherweight for cheaper.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

is there a 50% bonus to shufflers?

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:12 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

is there a 200% bonus for spinners whos blade flys off after having singularity back into it and snap the motor shaft right off Very Happy

sounds good fellers

Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nice video there guys, maybe we should make you guys the official video chroniclers of the sport in austrlia, since you always seem to kick ass as far as getting well put together event videos and the like online faster than anyone else does.

I think Antweights and Soz-bots are cute, but they just lack the "fear factor" of the bigger bots. The engineering and skill required to build a good one is just as hard, but your not going to scare many people with something that looks like a mix-master on wheels..

I think their main advantage is that the arena's can be smaller and easier to transport, so its easier to hold more frequenct little events, but you cant pay for lighting, sound, video and lots of spectators to battle in front of with a 4 foot square box,

and I think bigger shows less often with small non-public builder-meetings in between where the builders can show off their creations, fine tune them and have a few battles without the pressure of a fullevent are the way to go IMO.

Good to see that people are covering all the bases though and having a go.. nice job..

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well our box of goodies arrived thursday so we were building them all weekend. So they don't seem to take long to build. I'm guessing that my baby Aggressor will be rebuilt at least 4 time over the next month.
They may not be very interesting to watch, but they are fun to drive.

Also they are slowly getting expensive. I want some 3mm hubs instead of 4mm (I must of hit the wrong button at the market place) and a VDD blade hub and maybe some of those 4mm bearings. Seperatlly that only about $35 dollers of parts, but its adding up. Damn these things are addictive.

Maybe we should have got $20 RC cars and stuck cardboard wedges to the top. They'll proberbly win too.

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:44 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:
Maybe we should have got $20 RC cars and stuck cardboard wedges to the top. They'll proberbly win too.

Someone did that in America and did quite well.. If I recall it was one of those RC monster Truck's and was called "What the Truck ?!" Laughing

That sort of illustrates the problem with the little fella's. you still learn a lot building them and I have no doubt that they are fun to drive, but the public cant really see the difference between them and RC cars..

Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:17 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have rebuilt the robot already.
The four wheels driven off a tamiya twin motor gearbox went well in a straight line but had trouble with turns and ended up stripping teeth from gears.
I removed the damaged gears, removed the two front wheels and added a servo driven lifter on the front. But it will be rebuilt again because the drive wheels are so far behind the center-of-gravity and also the lack of armour is a problem.

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:41 pm 
Eyce

quote:
Originally posted by kkeerroo:

That's what I've done, and me and my bro have staged quite a few fights (Yes- one square meter arena, two dropoffs)

Would those have been the first ant fights in Australia?

Post Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:51 pm 
andrew

Hello antweight ineterests peeps.

the cool antweights i mean in the 500 gramish class. Today i was able to tear apart 1 of 2 busted and stupid discmans (got them fixed twice and still broke) so they were sacrificed to me. I tore the motor spinning part that spins the cd's and attached the motor to a 12 volt battery. a cd gets spun up to a awesome speed and hum in a good 5-6 seconds and is awesome at full speed. The gyro effects i tested was pretty severe also.

Anyway's there was also a micro small motor probably about the same as the motor used in servo's also which could be used in uk antweight bots (aaron if your interested for that small thing u have maybe).

Back to the reason for this. just letting u know that with a small pulley used and drilled the hole to the right size u can pop it straight on then use some epoxy or something and belt drive a spinning mass.

I may build one as i have 2 small rc motor/gearbox/wheel combo's which have been sitting round, 2 raggedy looking servo's that if i dont get fixed will use its guts for the speed controll, thin street sighn, the weopon assembly i spoke of earlier and various drill nicads etc SO maybe a vert spinner sozbot.

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

you talk a big game andrew, but when are we going to see you actually BUILD something like that. Wink

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:36 pm 
andrew

Well sorry for saying what i may have planned mister spinner,walker, flipper talker upperer. I layed out all the parts for my next featherweight and have a good idea on what i need to do and how it will be. When i get the steel bar off nick saturday (thanks also mate) and power supply off jeff (please dont forget) then i can start doing some templates and looking at what will fit where etc.

I will also bring the various pieces to next event and throw some cd's at a few thousand rpm. i knowcked it off at full speed and it sped accross the garage spinnin, under the car, turned and went launching into the other wall where it spun on the spot for a good few seconds.
fun fun
need to research this servo guts as speed controller bit some more

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:43 pm