www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Big Guns
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Big Guns

Some guys are coming around to my work's dam at Logan Village to battle their boats on the 11/9/04. They really shot ball bearing and sink each other.

I am going to take Marauder to show the Big Gun guys. I have a shed with a concrete floor but no arena.

This could be a good opportunity for cross promotion. Would anyone be interested in coming along?

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:51 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well, it would be silly of us to say no. So we'll be there.

Shame they don't allow those big 120 gun sailing ships into the boat thing.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mytqik

Boats firing real projectiles - I'll be there.

Maybe I can mount my 0.222 onto the front of a piece of marine ply & call it the bismark. Laughing

I will confirm the location closer to the day. How long are you expecting to be there for?

Post Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:47 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I have only been to one other event. It lasted about 4-5 hours. The first two hours were spent with people making last minute final touches to their boats.

The address is 48 Travis Road Logan Village. We will arrive about 9.30. To attend you must bring and wear safety goggles while the boats are shooting.

http://www.ausbg.org/

Post Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:41 am 
chris

hmmm i can go but i dont have transport, can I possible hitch a ride with the kerrisons????
sorry to be a bum...........

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:21 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

yeah, sure

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chris

hmmmmm lets arrange over PM

Post Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:17 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Chris, and anyone else under 18 who is coming without a parent, you will need to bring a note from your parents giving you permission to watch the battle. Please have your parent(s) take a look at the above link and assess the risks involved. These boats really shoot ball bearings. Those over 18 will need to sign a waiver upon arrival.

They haven't had any injuries so far, but they are very serious about safety.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:55 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

And people say our sport is dangerous.

Philip, do you have a DVD player? Maybe we could bring some robot DVD's to show these guys some fights. You have my Marayong 4 DVD and my MM3 DVD so I'll bring the Annihilater DVD and those DVD I got from Yankeeville.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:07 pm 
andrew

what dvd's r these mr Kerrison form yankeeville.

R they the 4 pack of metal munching maniacs ones of robot club and grille etc etc

if they r how r they and do they work/have u had any problems with them not playing on certain things.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I've got the 4 pack of MMM discs (just arrived the other day), and they play fine on my computer DVD drive (which is the only DVD player I have).

Overall, they're a pretty good set. the Nationals and the Gourmet damage discs are the best from my browsing so far.. the Robot Club and
Grille disc is only so so, and I'm looking through the Robot Assault one now.

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maelstrom

Be very careful with this kind of event, their claims that it is completley legal in all states and territories in Australia is false, a CO2 powered cannon firing a ball bearing is classified as a firearm as are paint ball guns which just happen to use CO2 to fire a gelatine ball filled with paint (less dangerous but still require a license)
How do I know this? I have been a Sporting Shooter since about 13 years old (I'm now 29) and have dealt with the firearms department and their regulations!
Due to financial difficulty and government restrictions on the sport I was involved (IPSC) in I am no longer a member of the SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association of Australia), I have recently lost 4 pistols due to this fascist dictator government!
They are still doing this only because no one has been injured, once someone is (or someone who knows the firearms laws and is against shooting complains) then it will all come to an end and result in people being fined or jailed.
If you doubt this then go to a lawyer and ask, you can get your first half hour free as a first consultation on a case (they are required by law to provide the first half hour interview free) you only pay if you decide to proceed with the case!

Post Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:55 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

There is a DVD reader in the work computer. The monitor is an old 15" CRT (read shitty).

You can reach me on 0417 073 217. I will carry that mobile on Saturday incase anyone gets lost.

Post Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:43 am 
chris

hey everybody, I had a great day in logan and i think everyone did. the boats we amazing and fun at the same time, we got a good battle in which i imobilised marauder and knocked it cover off but it re-entred after phillip replaced the cover and it flipped sharpshooter several times till it landed propped against the wall on its side and it stayed that way for 30 seconds or more.
thanks for everything phillip and an especially big thanks to the keros (my skill at telling twins apart does not extend to them....) for giving me the ride to and from the place.
c'ya from chris

Post Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:22 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i'm pondering RW on water now
that could be pretty dern cool i'm thinkin
whole new dimension ;->

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number