Ogre - RG2013 lightweight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
Has anyone ever had a 100w scooter motor fail in combat? Smile
I think Glen didn't even kill the one in Visceral with that epic 36v 1:1 drum setup.

daniel did at robo games he he

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh that was 300/500W version. Not quite as reliable.

Post Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

I don't remember killing one. From memory i took the endcap off, advanced it as much as i could and ran threaded rod through it to clamp it together and used it for battleshed haha Surprisingly powerful!

They're a decent motor if underpowered. On 36v i don't think they'd be that bad at all.

Post Wed May 02, 2012 5:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I put the Dewalt 18V motors thru the tentacle torque calculator with various voltages and gear ratios. At 22V and a 27:1 reduction the motors will draw 26.6 amps each to spin a 4" wheel. That works out at 1170 Watts total - way more than the smaller scooter motors can provide! The 500W scooter motors are larger and probably heavier than the DeWalt motors so there isn't much advantage to them apart from the higher thermal mass. The overvolting and gear reduction give a theoretical top speed of 17.7 KPH - way faster that K2 and more in line with Touro Light. That's all theoretical - the reality could be dissapointing...

The reason for picking a 27:1 ratio is that I already have P60 and P80 gearboxes in that ratio, so construction and testing can begin immediately. Building a plywood test platform with 27Kg of concrete on top will give some answers on top speed, acceleration, heating and all the other things we need to know.

The scooter gearboxes might have to go into another project, however they could still be useful with a future brushless drive. the Ebay seller listed a 4.5:1 reduction, so a 2 stage gearbox gives 20.25, a good ratio for an outrunner. Alternatively, they could be hooked up to 500W scooter motors to make a wedge bot for practice matches.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

With 4 motors, at that speed they are going to burn out i'd suspect. Dave in the uk that visits this forum occasionally has a 6wd feather with tons of magnets in it and i dont think he has made it 30 seconds into a fight without smoking a motor. Even if it did work the setup would be on the ragged edge.

The dewalts are good - but they're super inefficient and thats the downfall. If you have the parts see how you go though.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Its all theoretical calculated numbers - the real numbers will be less favourable, particularly the top speed. After looking at about 5 years of lightweight fight videos, two wheel drive looks OK and bots with well supported DeWalts don't seem to break them too often - still wise to test them to get the voltage, gearing and supports right. The nice thing about the DeWalts is the set-up cost; I already have 1 motor, several compatible gearboxes, Victor 885 controllers, etc. I just need 1 more motor and some adaptor plates to couple the motors and gearboxes.

I put an alert on the HK reversable ESC and the motor so I can get a set when they come back in stock - I don't want to rule out anything at this stage.

I was looking at the Oatley 300W scooter motors - slapping one of the scooter gearboxes on the front would give 667 RPM at 24V - not a bad speed with a larger wheel. It could power a cheapo wedgebot for sparing practise.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The Turnigy Trackstar motors just came into stock in the AUS warehouse - ordered a pair for testing, even if the matching ESCs are not in stock. Very Happy Very Happy

Post Thu May 03, 2012 8:09 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've got a Turnigy TrackStar 150A 1/8th ESC on the way for testing the BotBitz brushless drives. It's got a reprogrammable reverse and there are good report of them actually working on 6S (as advertised). Will hopefully find out how good the reverse setup is soon. The bonus is, if it works out well, the Aus warehouse has plenty of stock Smile

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:26 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Is that the TTS-150A? I had a look at the programming card and it had 3 reverse options, none of which looked like instant reverse - hopefully I am wrong about that as the other specs are excellent.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 am 
MikeNCR

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
With 4 motors, at that speed they are going to burn out i'd suspect. Dave in the uk that visits this forum occasionally has a 6wd feather with tons of magnets in it and i dont think he has made it 30 seconds into a fight without smoking a motor. Even if it did work the setup would be on the ragged edge.

The dewalts are good - but they're super inefficient and thats the downfall. If you have the parts see how you go though.

I've seen similar in my Featherweight bot Nyx, 6s lipo, dewalts in high gear driving 4" wheels via a 1.267:1 reduction chain drive. After a full match they'll be pretty warm. I also had them desolder themselves from my drive motors in one match. Ventilation and air flow or heat sinks will help a fair bit.

Post Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I just got back from holidays and the drive system is starting to turn from planning into reality. Here is a disassembled 3 stage P80 gearbox:

The gears are all 12mm wide but there is no technical reason why the 1st and 2nd stage gears can't be narrower; the torque decreases in those stages, so I plan to machine down the 2nd stage gears to 8mm and the 1st stage to just 4mm. This will fit 3 stages into a regular 2 stage gearbox like the one pictured, saving weight & space.

The 4" x 2" Colson wheel will turn down to 42mm wide, providing plenty of grip. With these parts and an 18V DeWalt motor, the total length is around 200mm

I simulated the KE of the disk weapon; with a 325 x 25 x 25mm cylinder (no teeth or spokes yet), the weight is only 4.85Kg and at 7,000 rpm it would have a very handy 30,500 Joules of KE. That's just for a disk, so there is plenty of weight to add spokes and teeth Very Happy I wonder how hard it would be to make and balance a two part disk with a Bisalloy rim and titanium spokes to get more KE for the same weight?

Post Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Are you able to calculate the gyroscopic forces?

Post Mon May 07, 2012 4:47 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

There must be a way, but the only option I know of is to build a prototype.

Post Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 am 
daliad100

http://www.totalinsanity.net/tut/mechanical/gyroscopiceffect.php

I spend way too much time on the internet...

Post Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

be careful cutting the gears down.
*hopefully* the teeth are hardened lol

Post Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number