www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Wolfe Industries-3K build
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Author    Thread
Cpnwolfe

Wolfe Industries-3K build

Hey all, I have been bothering Knightrous and Marto asking questions, and they gave very good responses so I made some orders and nearly everything is in.

Hobbyking-2x #N120.2S.25/19422 Turnigy nano-tech 120mAh 2S 25C Lipo Pack (E-flite micro series compatible)
1x #HKESC10A/14870 H-KING 10A Fixed Wing Brushless Speed Controller 1x #TR_P10A/4204 TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed Controller
1x #FS-L001/9043 Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx USB Cable
1x #MCPX-CHAR/18867 2 Pin JST to 6 x E-Flight Ultra Micro plug Charging Harness
1x #AM-9018AB/9700 2 PIN connector Male/Female 12cm each. (5pairs/bag)
1x #AM-9017B/9682 Male JST battery pigtail 10cm length (10pcs/bag)
1x #CFWFS3x1x1/9781 Woven Carbon Fiber Sheet 300x100 (1.0MM Thick)2x #TR2204-14T/18324 TURNIGY 2204-14T 19g Outrunner
1x #HK-T6A-M1/16255 Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 1)
1x #ACC6/15042 Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

all I am waiting on now is the order to botbiz for some 50:1 motors and esc.

My plan is to build a wedgebot first and when I get that under control I'll add a spinner, see how we go,trying to keep it simple so far.

But because I am new (or stupid) and still figuring this stuff out I ordered all the wrong connector's :s what connectors do you guys use from the batt to the charger and batt to esc?

and mods if this is in the wrong forum please move, flame, comment all you like!

Last edited by Cpnwolfe on Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:56 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Moved to usual spot is in the Builders reports as this is more of a build log regarding your own ant rather than a general question. Might be a good idea to change Title to its name and your team name as you notice that is the format of most of the others here.

Most people really only have 1 connector in their ant weights. The battery plug.

This is because each connector weighs 1 - 2 g and when you only have 150g this adds up quite quick. Everything is typically soldered together. (this also means they can't come unplugged)

To start off with might be better to use plugs but you will probably find you don't end up using them.

One thing I would suggest is getting some heat shrink from hobby king as keeping things neat inside your ant often saves a lot of space.

Steve

(Should get BotBitz stuff friday)

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Smile

List looks fine, only thing would be the batteries will be a bit small in capacity for a spinner. So you might have to grab some 180mah ones when you build that.

And yeah plugs aren't used in ants aside from the battery one. They're just too small to have things like that in there. As for the battery plug most use the balancer one only to save the weight of having a pair of plugs hanging off the battery.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

haha gotta love new players that actually intend to start up with a wedgebot instead of a super ambitious mechanised doom machine, great to see!

(PS. I was one of the latter, but experience punched me in the head eventually)

post pics of sketches or cads or whatever when you have them!

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:54 pm 
Cpnwolfe

Well I'll be honest I was gung ho for building a full scale spinner( of course scarlet inspired) but marto gave me some good advice, and I'll get to that later in time.

soldering everything together sounds a bit better especially for weight and I'll get pics and sketches up as soon as i can still having trouble figuring out how to charge the batt (only comes with a balancer plug that's too small for the charger) I'll post pics to show you what I mean.

Friday sweet hopefully I can start putting stuff together.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:13 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I use the 120mAh batteries in Fury Jr and its fine for a spinner. I use these plugs on the batteries and the weapon motor. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15424__6pin_Micro_Plug_10pairs_bag_.html

Post Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm 
Cpnwolfe

So I have the balancer plug on the batt and the charger only has pos & Neg how do I charge it without blowing it up? (need to do some more research on what a balanced plug actually is lol told you I was new)

and then to go onto the ESC i only use the pos and neg?

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

The battery's plug should fit into the top right socket on the charger, unless the plug is too small. It might not need the positive and negative lines to charge. I use a smilar looking charger, mine is blue, but mine wouldn't charge through the balancing lead and I had to make my own adapter. Everyone else uses the black chargers and seem to be able to charge through the balacing line, so you should be fine if the plug fits. And your right about using the black and red wire off the battery for powering the robot.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:23 pm 
Cpnwolfe

same problem as yours I cannot fit the plug into the charger(too small)

did some reasearch on balancing more up to speed now
https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/charging-how-tos/balance-connectors/
http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

Daniel can you tell me more about your adapter? did you just get a plug that fit the charger and solder'd it up? ie-pos to pos, neg to neg, bal to bal?

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:30 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Ahhhhh, well I cut a plug off a dead battery that had a bigger plug and soldered it up to the little 3-pin connectors that fitted into the little battery. My charger still didn't find the battery so I added an extra red and black wire with a banana plug on each end and shoved them into the charger, which decided it could find the battery. I then covered everything with hot glue to reenforce more terrible soldering. I think I might have more scrap parts lying around then you do.

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:40 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I just made a 3pin adapter for this one. You will need a positive and a negative wire to go to the clip leads on the charger and then 3 wires pos + middle+ neg to go to the balancing port. I didn't really think about the smaller battery plug size.

You can always charge without balancing but it is advisable to balance them fairly often, particularly in high discharge situations, as the cells are never exactly the same.

Also if you make your own connector be careful with shorts as these will damage your battery and potentially lead to fire.

Steve

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
Cpnwolfe

sweet as, it only has one plug on it (the micro connector) so I think I'v ordered the right adapters and some little micro plugs as well so I can solder up an adapter. I will wait until tomorrow to see if my botbiz parts come in then I'll finalize the HK order and see how we go!

Post Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:28 pm 
Cpnwolfe

Botbiz parts are in! those motor mounts are awsome steve did you print them?
and when are the hubs going to be back in stock again?
today was really busy post some pics tomorrow see if I have anything running yet Very Happy

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:50 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Yeh I did. Been throwing them in with motors.

Not sure with the hubs, not really a high priority. Aaron? Would probably be better off just making some wheels just drill them out to 2.8mm or 3mm and add some superglue or a little grub screw.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:11 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I can do a batch of hubs tomorrow.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 pm