www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Hydraulic bottle jack as a flipper?

Author    Thread
nipunmaster

Hydraulic bottle jack as a flipper?

hello everyone. this is my first post. i am a newbie here. i have once made a simple wired DPDT switche controlled robot. Now i am entering in a big robowar competition in India. The maximum size of the robot can be 750*750*1000mm.(l*b*h). I am thinking of making this robot very heavy of the about 20+ kgs. Now my primary weapon will be a steel cutting blade driven by a 1000rpm high torque motor. I want to make a flipper for my robot, but i do not know about hydraulics or pneumatics. I saw some Bottle Car jacks on the net, and i am thinking of using them in my robot for flipping the opponent robots. Now i am making a wired robot, so i need to make some sort of mechanism so that i can up the jack when i want to flip the opponent. Please someone tell me how to do this.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:29 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Hi. I would use pneumatics instead of hydraulics in a robot. A hydraulic car jack is designed to lift a 1000 kg + car slowly. You want to lift a 20 kg + robot quickly.

Do you have any pictures of your robot?

You can find lots of useful information on pneumatics on this site .

Post Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 am 
nipunmaster

i am completely new to pneumatics and dont even know how many parts it would require, how to do it, how it works, everything. so i thought manybe i could attach a electric motor with high torque and rpm to the end of a 5 ton scissor jack to lift the opponent. is it possible to do so? i saw this automatic car jack:

please can someone give a link to some beginners pneumatics guide, i want to make a flipper for my robot. or can someone explain me how to make one.
Thanks! Very Happy

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:46 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Did you read the above linked site?

Post Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:46 am