www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

The sordid tale of the chinese laser (k40 laser engraver)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

That's a better edge finish than the ones at work XD Shocked Wonder how ppi works with the dsp modules... Also they need a real air nozzle compressor lol

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:20 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Nope, bucket bong air filter didn't work haha, not enough power to force the air through it >:

And yeah it makes the hackspace one look like a joke now lol, actual pressure works way better than the little puffs of air on the other comperssors. so so much better. PPI is apparently implemented properly in dsp now. The old ones i'm not sure about?

Had a cool thought too, if i can find a 12v solenoid then can wire that up to the gecko and have it control the air assist too. That'll be heaps awesome Very Happy

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

Rather win! Nice job

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:45 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

remind me about solenoids. I should have some car related ones kicking around Smile

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

One you might find interesting Glen

http://hackaday.com/2014/01/16/cheap-free-mirror-replacement-for-your-co2-laser/

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:42 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Ahoy,

Doing some major work on the laser over the xmas break. Got the new power supply properly setup, new tube, new wiring new bed etc etc. Working freaking great.

Cambam also released an update that has nesting support as well as tons of new features that suit laser cutting just nicely, so i actually bought it eheh. Going from cad to gcode is frighteningly painless now.

Managed to lose all the old notepad files id documented everything on when my old old laptop died. So I've gone back and reverse engineered it all, much of it properly now. Will be releasing the lot in a giant file eventually Smile

Now! the last thing is to get the power adjustment setup so it is automatic. Thus a question for the EMC/linuxcnc types, possibly referring to Jake here Laughing

What's the go with PWM output? Is there some kind of vague maximum limit to the pwm generation that can be calculated off of the base thread or what? The amount of info on it seems very low.

The laser PSU needs a 20-50khz signal to drive it, but not sure if linuxcnc can generate at that speed. Would be VERY nice if so. Otherwise i'll have to use the arduino to step up the frequency which is a bit annoying.

Cheers ^-^

Post Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

The internets said its possible but realistically I wouldn't try to do with through parallel port.

Do you have the tools to measure the signal and verify? I personally would go lower freq out of computer and then use the arduino to step it up at least you can then get it to provide feedback about the state of the input and be semi sure of the output signal.

Steve

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, that's likely the best way. The default output is 100hz from what i can measure.

Need to get a CRO dammit. Trying to measure the frequency using the arduino itself but it's not very accurate or repeatable lol. Perhaps even more so because it's one of those power saving 3.3v Parallel ports. Any recommendations on cheap oscilliscope?

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Seeed Nano Quad is cheap and ok from what I heard Aaron has one. My rigol is great for price but not a cheap bit of gear.

Scope does make things easier.

Steve

Post Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:26 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Now that you are a man with the moneys I'd suggest you invest in a mesa card, they are pretty cheap and you can run up to 100khz PWM.

you can even get them with a db25 plug on them ;->

It'll take most of the timing sensitive stuff out and put it into the FPGA including for stepgen and the like.

The scope is in the back of the falcon at the moment, just got back from mucking about with pinball machines in bega with it.

The PWM output out the pport is going to be more like 200hz than 20khz btw you can work it out but its probably going to be your max step rate / the resolution of your PWM, so if you can step at 10khz and want 8 bits of pwm it'll be 10000/256 = 40hz.

Post Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number