www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

FarmBoy - Team Knightrous - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I did some more research - if I have to spend money on a new tool, it might as well be one with the right dimensions like the series on page 32 of this catalogue: http://www.toolflo.com/cats/Automotive.pdf . There is even an Aussie distributor for once!

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:45 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Good chance the belts your looking at are not the same as what I have.

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:21 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Possibly, but belt standards are global - a PK ribbed belt has the same dimensions in every catalogue I have found. The belt probably fits because its rubber and deforms a bit; if it works, it works.

Post Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:26 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Thanks again to Glen for use of the work shop and providing a large amount of moral support for the robot that will decimate his flipper Cool

Bolt.com.au did an over night delivery of counter sunken bolts

This allowed some rapid assembly of existing parts.

The it was time to drill and tap some holes to bolt the chassis together

Then to save some time machining the bearing blocks, Glen suggested making them out of HDPE, so I managed to make these with just a single pass from the boring bar in the mill.

Time for some sleep. I've got today off, so will have enough time to finish the robot by this weekend and get some much desired testing and driving practice (it's been too long!)

Post Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Didn't end up finishing it for the weekend due to various failures and lack of sleep Very Happy

Another mad night in the workshop at Glen's, even had Welch drop in for a visit to work on his bot (was good to catch up buddy).

I had a couple of miscalculations in the original cad and made the pullies too big for the belt drive, which has caused me to rebuild them about 11ty times. I've now machined them down to a size that is suitable and serviceable, however will now need to run a tensioner (no big deal).

The next bit I worked on was my method for mounting the wheels to the shafts. Originally I was going to just use loctite'd grub screws into the key ways, but ended up going with a slightly easier method, a split pin. The hub and shaft has a hole drilled through them and a split pin is fitted. The split pin takes the torque load and prevents the wheel from coming off. I did run into a small snag with this idea when trying to drill the hardened shafts I use for the belt driven wheels... It's too hard! Even a cobalt drill bit failed to drill it >.> Shuffling to using a M12 bolt with a 10.8 hardness.

I had to cut the top lid in half to easily fit it due to the weapon motor being a little bit dimensionally different to my cad drawings.

However, with a bit of a "lets make it look cooler" discussion with Glen, I'm thinking about remaking the top cover with a sloped panel instead. This will also provide a more inclusive cover over the weapon motor.

Hopefully with a little more work tonight, I should finally have it driving with 4WD! (I've been driving it as a 2WD gimp for a fortnight now...)

Post Wed May 13, 2015 8:03 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

like the speed that shape adds Cool

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed May 13, 2015 10:27 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

well it *does* have a lot of 'speed holes' in it

Post Thu May 14, 2015 3:25 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

*** Obligatory thank Glen for all the awesome help ***

Went with a new theme this week and a new name for this build.
Decided to call it "Immortan" as well as taking on a new Mad Max theme for the build. Broke out the box section and run it through the saw a couple of times to come up with this new post-apocalyptic roll bar setup.

Roughly how the weapon will go. It's a lifter on one side and a hammer/axe on the other. With just 1:1 to the motor and on 12v, it has oodles of grunt and self rights. Increasing the gearing (addition 2:1) to bring it up to a total of 20:1 and a step up to 22.2v should give it plenty of torque and speed for both weapons.

I spaced the weapon motor up 12mm to give more clearance for the battery to sit under the gearing section of the motor. After further assessment, I'm going to shift the motor 10-15mm to the left side of the robot to provide more space for the battery and more space for the weapon sprockets and change to clear the roll bar

I machined up a boss to mount the sprocket to the weapon support shaft.

I also remade the bearing blocks for the two belt driven shafts out of some aluminium stock as the HDPE was a bodge job when I slapped it together.

Decided to start weighting the robot to see how it was all going in the grand scheme. With the base plateform assembled and the weapon motor fitted, it's only 7.6KG. Plenty of weight for the weapon and some Mad Max inspired armor/chassis.

Throwing the rest of the planned materials brings it up to 11.2KG. Thinking heavier weapon and some more spikes!

With everything finished off drive train wise, I thought it was time to do a test drive.
https://youtu.be/7QTRp5syGRc

Post Mon May 18, 2015 12:25 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

What ratio are those gear boxes?

Post Mon May 18, 2015 2:50 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The gearboxes are 20:1 with an RS775 motor.

Post Mon May 18, 2015 7:25 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

love the new cage Very Happy

Post Mon May 18, 2015 8:50 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

They seem to accelerate your robot quite well. What are the dimensions?

Post Mon May 18, 2015 7:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Quick update.

More mad max looking progress.

And pulled some scraps out of Glen bin to make a battery bay.

It just needs foam and a battery clamp.

Post Thu May 21, 2015 10:11 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The Slightly Blurry, Sleep Deprived Event Report

The build for FarmBoy/Immortan was pretty shit, no need to rehash this.

Pre-Event
I finished the robot at 3AM, armouring it up in wood and paper because I thought it was going to be overweight, turned out to be 1kg under weight and I could have used 5mm aluminium everywhere...

Arrived at the event, put the battery on charge and found 10 minutes later that it had postal and was ready to explode. Carefully disassembled the robot to remove it. Unfortunately Hobby King hard fucked Glen and I over in the fortnight before by not shipping our order of spare batteries........ spare batteries.... spare.....

My only spares were a pair of 18.5v 4500mAh batteries that were way too big to fit in the chassis. Shit... Epic robot community to the rescue, Miles gave me a 14.8v 2000mAh that was tiny and fitted in the chassis. This was Kojacks only spare pack, but he still lent it to me. Lots of bro love, Miles!

Was worried the robot would be a bit down on power going from 22.2v to 14.8v, but beggers can't be choosers. (24v weapon motor, running on nearly 12v gives it 1/4 the power, lucky it's a feckin big motor with lots of gearing)

Fight One - FarmBoy VS Kojack
Trololololol. He lends me a battery and then we have to fight first up. Fight went the distance with a lot of dancing and lifting. I 'think' I remember Kojack was having some control issues towards the last half of the match and I was able to smack some agression into him along with a couple of lifts/flips. Goes to a judges decision and FarmBoy is declared the winner.

Fight Two - FarmBoy VS Das Boot
Well I think we've done this before... I think I'm just going to make Das Butt the official rival of FarmBoy (Kojack a close second, because it has FarmBoy 1.0's weapon assembly). So just like in 2013, this match barely goes 20 seconds and history repeats itself. Dat Boot gets a a perfect flip on FarmBoy and just like last time, the weapon failed! Instead of the pinion gear slipping like in 2013, the bloody chain derailed and I couldn't self right.... Win by KO to Dos Boob

Fight Three - FarmBoy VS Zoidberg
Best Match Ever. Just total ownage of Zoidberg by Farmboy. The best way to sum up the fight is to just watch it.
http://youtu.be/PgeT89UU-HI
Win by Ass Whooping - Farmboy

Fight Four - FarmBoy VS Brutus
Newcomer Adam with a Burshless powered axe built in conjunction with Dylon. Looked good, but it had one MAJOR weakness.... Dylon and his insatiable love for Kmart 18V Drills. I'm a bit hazy on the match, but there was a lot of trading of hits, lifts and eventually the chain broke on Brutus, leaving Farmboy to toss it around the arena like a smoldering Kmart drill.
Winner - Farmboy

Fight Five - Farmboy VS Kojack
Here I said, same as ever.
Borrowed a battery, battled clever.
Took on Kojack, jumped the chain.
Lost the battle, damn it again.
Winner by Judgement Decisiveness - Kojack

Post-Event
This nugget robot keeps me motivated for some retarded reason. Despite it's epic amounts of dodgy features (box section bearings bro!) it still did awesome things like the crazy spinning break dancing. I'm going to rebuild it to fix some of the crap rush work.

The BotBitz GM45's worked well as drive motors so actually keen to keep them in the robot now instead of the Dewalts. Just need to design the whole robot to be more serviceable.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:06 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome fight commentary and yep loved the break dancing of farm boy. That final match between Kojack and Farmboy could have gone either way I was totally convinced you had won that.
We can't pick on kmart 18v to much because thats all Pickasso has Shocked

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:38 pm