RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Kang - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Kang - Team Aurora - NSW

its back again!

got bored today and pressured by aarons onslaught of encouragement to build a 6kg robot its coming back to life.

bolted the frame back together with mostly m8 bolts, for lack of m6 and m4s, and got all the stuff lined up. the battery will be a 2.3ah SLA this time as the 7ah threw it overweight, and it frees up tons of space. so the Servo switches from aurora will go into the back.

the radio will be a piece of copper on the top under the lexan with co-ax taking it there from the reciever. still using the ever usefull 2ch AM radio.

weapon will be two pieces of ali tube section in almost exactly the same config as minotaur 1.2 with a big spike on it the end. the radius of spin will be huge, almost 500mm which is like the size of cobra in a robot half the size.

drive will be 12v drills at 12v for reduced current and strain seeing as screwy never got to top speed anyway with its 9.6v drills and i only have 12v motors at the moment.

wheels will be custom jobs this time, well sort of. basically im using these red wheels that have this wide as heck and sweet looking RC car tread on them. lots of grip and something like 105mm diameter.

well given 105mm wheels and 140mm body height, we have a problem! so the body is getting cut down alot to bring down the weight.

one thing i forgot to mention is the addition of two whopping great electromagnets running down either side, which is for coolness and really wank factor lol and also for melbourne, try push me 6kg bots!

Last edited by Glen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:53 pm; edited 4 times in total

Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

more fun!

started the electromagnet. big iron rod, 300mm long, 8mm diameter.
still working on how to get 3ohms resistance on the thing. simple solution - more windings! currently 3 layers of 18 gauge and counting.

trying to get the current consumption less than 40 amps continuous. obviously its no longer just going to be for downforce. looking into the possibilty of an electromagnetic flipper Very Happy

Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i just had one of those moments where you see 2 things that will fit perfectly together, in this case it was 4 hose clamps from a tool box cleanout and two pieces of bodgily cut box section from cobras new hammer.

so ive got screwy all nicely layed out ready to be constructed hopefully this weekend. using box section, hose clamps and L bracket as the drive mountings instead of the old aluminium mounts which where bastards to mount and needed tightening nearly every fight.

still 6mm lexan (of course) with 3mm x 25x25 L-bracket for the frame and armour with 2x 2.3ah batteries in series for 24v on the 12v motors. its using auroras switch controllers and my old attack 2er radio.

design is just going to be random basically. just going to build it as it comes, but it will have a spring tensioned wedge on it. (i like spring loaded things after seeing garys bots hehe). the wheels this time are up the front

it should be terribly underweight so lots of nifty things i can add to it! looks like it will weigh about 5kg max. im mainly getting it redone for my mum to drive, and to have a live target to fight against for cobra. also for soccer as well.

construction will be a real breeze so itll get done when i have the enthusiasm to remount auroras speed controls into it.

ill get a photo tommorow.

Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:12 pm 
andrew

I hope u keep it together. after build my current featherweight and organise if i can use this electric vehicle i will build a hobbyweight. whats the weight limit anyway's as since the weight has gone up to 13.6 doesnt that mean the hobbyweight limit is now 6.8 or somthing?.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:15 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Hobbyweights are actually 12lb bots Very Happy

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:22 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

yes, but that makes them 5.45 Kg, not 6.. so unlike all the other classes, the hobbies actually get harder to build, not easier.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
yes, but that makes them 5.45 Kg, not 6..

whinge whinge, i cant fit 36v nicads and a 5kg spinning bar into that weight limit! lets make hobbies 12kg then Surprised lol

well i had a surge of inspiration from the ole computer case in the background so that has been plundered for screwys new frame. i also managed to get another 2 gearboxes sans motors so thats all great. only needs two motors.

its ultra tiny as well. at around about 300x 200 with a body height of 50mm. but it has gargantuan ground clearance at like 15mm so i can take it off road and so its wedge proof as well Very Happy

its getting a 7ampers for drive in its featherweight configuration and 2x 2.3ah batteries in its hobbyweight config.

should be a fun sucker this one.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:37 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just finished riveting on the motor mounts and battery mounts. rivets are pretty funky though may i add Smile

the motor mounts are like bretts and garys. basically two pieces of box and two pieces of L bracket with 4 hose clamps. because the computer case is pretty flimsy, the box section stiffens it right up.

the battery mounts are just 3 pieces of L bracket riveted onto the base. this means the batteries can be just sandwhiched in there if i want to just give it a test drive. there will be the standard threaded rod and battery bar arrangement. as luck would have it the 2.3ah batteries are as tall as they are wide (when 2 are put side by side) so if i want to use one 2.3ah battery i can lay it on its side and have a tight mount. w00t.

the front rear and top will be lexan. this will be light as hell and doesnt have to be too strong, as the wedges will lay over it.

aint looking half bad..

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:57 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i hate working with steel now Evil or Very Mad just buggered 2 drill bits (they where physically twisted) and a hacksaw blade trying to assemble the thing.

screwy is now a base with 4 drills on it. and it will now be a featherweight. i can do it in 5.5kg, but i want to just load this thing up with fancy things Smile

the base as i said was the steel computer case and the front back and sides should be lexan.

im hoping to jam a compressor and 2 big tyre pumps into it and make it into an axe thing.

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:36 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well screwy will be rebuilt into its original form someday.

but now its taken on a different form - kang http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=285

it is now a 2 wheeler with two 12v drills at 24v running of 2x 2.3ah slas in series OR parrallel. its got auroras switch controllers and the old AM reciever up one end and the 500amp (speak of overkill) cutoff switch on the side.

the base is just a 1mm thick steel computer case that still needs some cutting down with two pieces of 25x25x2 box riveted to it for the motor mounts and stiffening. also has 3 pieces of L bracket riveted to it for the battery mounts. ill be putting on a piece of flat ali bar ala cobra style for a battery clamp as well.

still have to think up the armour for it, as i dont want it to be all fag and box like. so im thinking of some crazy designs with 6mm polycarb. also thinking of weapons. i reckon itll make a damn fine thwacker, but alas my fan motor and boss must be used in something!

this robot is being built for soccer mainly so ill probably be putting the two cybot drives on the side of some box section to act like a little ball holder thing where the two wheels will pull the ball in and hold it. should be interesting!

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got a bit done yesterday,

cut the remaining sides off of the thing and got the wheels mounted on, also finished up the mounts, not as strong as i was expecting but its usable.

the batteries are also changing. the other slas are being free'd up for use on cobra so im changing it over to some custom drill nicads. two 12v packs in parrallel. got them all cut and burred the terminals for soldering so now all i need to now is solder it together and cut some spacing blocks.

all that remains is to bolt on the power switch, radio box and switches which will take all of half a day. just need to find the time in between cobra and school.

Post Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:27 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i finally spent some time staring at the frame and figured out what i want this thing to look like.

also if all goes to plan i can get a few of those 7.2ah Slas to use inside of the thing for power to save the drill nicads and 2.3ah slas for cobra.

the frame i reckon will benefit from a shape that is alot alike a robot called AGSMA by the robotic death company. its basically a box shape with the wheels at the front and sloped V shaped sides like plan B.

i will L bracket the 4mm checkplate steel sides together to form the V shape and figure out some method of attaching the slanty shanty sides to the base.

ill get back to work on the thing someday.. cobras just being a greedy b**ch at the moment

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:09 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

did a bit of work on the thing today.

i got the other hose clamp and replaced the L bracket pieces so the mounts are alot stronger than they where previously.

i also plan on using the drill cells as kangs batteries as cobra is looking to get some 2400mah cells sometime soon. this should mean its light as all hell and should be under the 6kg limit.

im going to use cobras old aluminium frame as kangs sides and rear as it fits nicely around the base. i want to tap the pieces into the box section so i can piss off the nuts. i dont think a 6kg bot will hit hard enough to tear out the bolts.

as for the weapon the sky is the limit. ive got 1 channel and alot of space to spare for the cheapest best weapon i can think of Razz. ive got alot of things laying around so yesss.

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:04 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm though since we adopted the american weights isn't this class a lower weight now? like 5.4 kg not 6kg?

Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:18 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Thats true Sad

Post Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:02 am