www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Kang - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well that was a pathetic experiment lol. just hit something and stopped.... back to the saw.

got the LED setup and ready to go in when i add some wires to the 5v output on the IBC. wouldnt you know it its a goooollllldddd LED as well Very Happy also bent the teeth back on the big saw blade. works good as gold now.... sorry... Confused lol

ah and the batteries are getting cycled. they both seem pretty alright actually. no time to tear them apart. i added some more cardboard lining stuff to the bottom of the battery bay so it wont matter if it slides around any more.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

i would say today was kangs best ever event!

the spektrum has really turned it into a bit of a beast now as it can work upside down as well and doesnt have that giant aerial. best of all no interference!

the andrew mods drives still worked perfect, the 18v @24v drive setup is i reckon the best setup even better than the 9.6v at 12v ones and the wheel decided to screw itself on again Razz

the first fight anguses friend seb drove kang against stealth, it got flipped around and then started smoking after being stacked on the walls. turns out the wires on the bottom of the motor got mashed into the frame and shorted out, ill crack the motor open tommorow and resolder on some wire as its really short and pathetic really. changing the motors really made a difference! in the roadkill match the saw definitely was going much harder than normal despite the very sick batteries.

the batteries actually are still going. i cycled them 5 times before the event and that seemed to help out alot. i got them melting hot about 3 times today on each pack and they came back for more. those nimhs have had like 2 years of hardcore death via me and jeff so they get my thumbs up Smile

fight wise it went very well against jolt. it got his exposed wheels nicely and ended up taking a giant hit that took this huge chunk out of the front. it didnt just ding the front it tore out a bit of aluminium.

roadkill was a good fight. the saw grinded on that and didnt do anything as expected. but the saw and his wedge were mega hot from it just grinding on it Razz it also hit roadkill in the rumble again in the corner where it seemingly busted off a big piece of plastic from the front and got a fairly giant hit for a saw on his wedge which ended up de-toothing my blade Sad

the weapon motor kept falling out of its mounts and sawing on the floor and itself which was very annoying as it kept melting the batteries apart. so ill definitely have to fix that somehow and once thats done im sure it will be a fine little bot, also with the inclusion of some nick-esque batteries Very Happy

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:15 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Just gotta love Ti eh glen! Smile
Next sunday i think a fleamarket trip is needed, that is if uni doesn't tie you down. Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:12 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah flea markets are good, kang needs a saw and im looking for a few scrappy bits and pieces. and another newtown trip Very Happy

i took the motor apart today (the one with the melted wires) and had a bit of a looksie inside as im always curious to see whats inside them.

i had to annihilate the tabs on the bottom of the motor to get it off so ill have to quickly tack weld that back on. like really quickly.

but heres how it looks. 4 brushes which are all fine. thats gunna suck to get them all to go in Razz ill drill some holes in the brush holder with a paperclip going through them to hold the brushes in till i can get the armature in there then ill pull them out through the bottom, i think aaron did that?

ill replace the wires there with 12 gauge and make them come out the side instead of the bottom to prevent a repeat. then this motor will go back into kang.

and the big meaty armature and magnets. still looks fine to me.

i accidentally broke off one of the magnets while i was clamping it in the vice so ill be needing to bust out the minute epoxy on that Razz might even try to time the motors?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:08 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Thats pretty cool glen, they're obviously very stable motors for direct drive saws. Very Happy Stealth bounced kang of its saw more than once during that fight! Shocked
And yeah aaron did that mod for scooter motors. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:58 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed, well the busted motor is now cleaned out with metho and its drying out. ready for modification.

also fixed the other new motor by bending the tab back into shape as that got bent somehow, i think it was when we removed it from the car. thats sitting perfectly now so kang is very nearly ready for brisbane! just the wedges need to go on.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:42 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

kang went good today, the 24v pack seems to have ceased working all together and seems fairly buggered so ill slowly discharge them and charge them up again.

the smaller saw is much more balanced and spins up faster cause its lighter and didnt loose any teeth so thats fine, and the bolts didnt come out at all.

but one of the andrew mod gearboxes seems to have slid out of the fibreglass so ill have to whack some 5 minute epoxy on it and stick it back in. good good! ready for brisbane Surprised

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well i pulled the shitted 24v pack apart and im going to cannibalise that into a new spaced pack out of some old chopping block i got for like $20, it only needs to be junk material lol. im discharging all the cells and then cycling them individually so thatll keep me busy for the week.

Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:30 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

and give my triton a run for its money Very Happy

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:10 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

kangs home too, lots of nice little chunks from reboot but none the less working.

its having some wierd problems though and i havent had a look but on the surface one side of the drive isnt turning and the weapon motor only spins when you hand start it so definitely needs to be given some TLC.

hopefully before the next event i can install two fans on the battery bay, put the plates onto the front of the gearboxes to stop them sliding out and then put the wedges on.

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:32 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If the weapon motor isn't starting without a nudge, chances are that a winding has blown or the comutator has problems. either way, its probably time for a new motor. Could you fit that GPB into Kang?

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:37 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

funny thing is the gpb is exactly the same size as the ninchi ra motor it would seem, its just a shame about the shaft size. i reckon it would just tear straight off first hit.

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:39 pm 
andrew

If u cant fix motor or replace motor before next event simply in match just run into opponent or nudge the wall to give it a lil jolt needed to start it

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:39 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
just run into opponent or nudge the wall to give it a lil jolt needed to start it

Laughing Or I can give it a realy big Jolt to stop it! Laughing

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL Laughing

Post Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:07 pm