Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Knightrous:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
OK, the SPARC rules (para 4.2.3) also say 400 RPM. I am thinking about retiring Scissorhands to the sportsman class and fitting a brushless motor and an extra gearbox to get the speed down. Would that be allowed?

No, it breaks rule 4.2.1

Intent. The intent of the Sportsman Class is to encourage novel designs and driving ability. The focus of this class is fun and creativity, not the annihilation of your opponent. Robots must comply with both the letter and spirit of these rules to qualify for this class.

How is Scissorhands less novel or creative than Farm Boy? Its got a very unusual self-righting system, uses exotic materials like carbon fibre, PTFE and titanium and would have an unusual weapon drive system. I don't know what the bar will do at 400 RPM but its a fraction of the usual speed and the KE equation means the energy will be drastically reduced and likely not at all destructive.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
How is Scissorhands less novel or creative than Farm Boy? Its got a very unusual self-righting system, uses exotic materials like carbon fibre, PTFE and titanium and would have an unusual weapon drive system. I don't know what the bar will do at 400 RPM but its a fraction of the usual speed and the KE equation means the energy will be drastically reduced and likely not at all destructive.

It's less novel because it's just a spinner running at 10% speed, that isn't creative in the least. Exotic materials are not creative or normal, that's just showing how deep your pockets are.

TL;DR: Build a sportsmen!

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:21 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Really, you had to go there? BTW, those pockets are paying for a heap of arena lighting and the display.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Really, you had to go there? BTW, those pockets are paying for a heap of arena lighting and the display.

It wasn't a personal attack Nick, and I'm sorry if you see it that way.
However, using "exotic materials" as an excuse for intent of novel design and creativity is crap.

OT: Your not the only person with pockets that have funded the arena or events. Please do not wave that around as an excuse either.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:47 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I thought about just ignoring your last post, but then you might start thinking you were somehow right.

To start with, you obviously don't know what 'novel' means. As an adjective, it means " of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before . At that rate, Scissorhands has plenty of novel features and slowing the weapon down with a gearbox would definitely be novel since its never been done in this context as far as I know.

Second, you are the one calling it a personal attack. Go read Spockie's forum signature and then take a long hard look in the mirror!

Lastly, how is contributing gear and effort to the Nats event an excuse? I was just replying to your original snide remark about how much my bots cost. I feel that helping out is the right thing to do because Steve and others have already done so much.

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm 
andrew

Hypothetically would a mini mower style drum spun by drills work within the rules? Also would having feet at each front corner break the 1/4 width rule. They will mainly be as skids and will be an inch wide per corner. Unsure if its total width of the pieces or width of robots front between the pieces

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:22 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

As long as it is < 400rpm (and 500 < SFM = RPM * πD in feet for when I am forced to bring that back in)

As for feet.
Are we talking little wedgelets like nicks beater? They would only be a small width so would not break the 1/4 rule however are they required for the weapon to function ?

Like below the first spatula is there to allow the pick to actually put downward force on the robot. But the second second isn't directly part of the weapon and while it may help the weapon its is not essential for its operation.

quote:

A weapon which requires a small slope below 1 inch or a small plate that is flat to the floor in order to function will be allowed at the discretion of the officials.

I interpret this as a spatula or sloped surface with a maximum of 1/4 of the width of the robot. It must also be required for the weapon to function, see the example below.

Acceptable

Unacceptable

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:33 pm 
andrew

Yeah basically so when drum bites and lifts it doesnt faceplant. So run into them, lift with drum and ram

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:56 pm 
evil_steve

I understand the intent of the 1 inch perpendicular rule, but what about where the lowest part of the bot is undercut, like a bevel? I assume this would be ok as it's the opposite of a wedge, but going by the letter of the rules it wouldn't pass.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:30 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I doubt that anyone would be worried about an undercut side - it can't perform the function of a wedge so it doesn't break the intent of the rule.

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:49 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I agree with nick.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:36 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah avenger's inverted wedge was like a boat and it was allowed - but i guess if your bot was flipped aslong as it doesnt act like a wedge then should be fine- show a diagram if you want to be sure?

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:50 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

But if an under cut edge is flipped, its on the top and higher than the one inch limit - unless your bot is only two inches thick.

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 am 
evil_steve

Thanks, that's what I figured but thought I'd make sure. It wouldn't make a difference inverted as I was planning on mirroring the slope on the top of the bot. The current design is a 4WD bot, the undercut is at the back and is mostly so that if the front gets lifted the back wheels still have traction.
I suck at drawing, it's easier to explain than show a diagram!

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:18 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Just wondering about Robs sportsman entry Hydra, is an IG style saw undercutter legal?

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:55 pm