www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

How to Run a Combat Robot Event.

Author    Thread
marto
Experienced Roboteer

How to Run a Combat Robot Event.

Ok Guys. Depending on my situation as of next year I will probably not be organising anymore QLD public events. Most importantly this means that either the Nationals annual event I have run the past 3 years either dies or someone else pics it up.

Of course who knows this time next year I could still be in the same comfortable spot I am now but that is unlikely and I would prefer to see the Nationals comp continue with or without me.

Over the next few weeks I hope to list and expand on the main things people need to know to run an event. These include:

- Funding
- Venue
- Insurance
- Competitors
- Arenas
- Scheduling
- Workshops
- Misc

Well for a start, you will always be thrown in the deep end but should give you a leg up.

If anyone is interested in taking a more active role in organsing this years nationals that might be a good idea. Aaron did a fairly significant portion last year, along with loads of help from Seano and others, but wrangling bots on the day is a little different to the negotiations and strings you need to pull in order to make an event happen (Angus).

If people would like to contribute their knowledge to running both public and private events that would also be appreciated. Any comments about me not running next years nationals should not go here. I am not going away but me organising public events is a luxury which I probably will not have the time for in the immediate future.

Steve

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've been prepared to step up and run nationals for quite while now, the limiting factor for me is my location. Being 2.5hrs out of Brisbane makes it hard to duck over to a venue and organise some things face to face with people or sign documents or check out accommodation for interstaters. While I could probably do a lot of phone work and emails, it's probably going to drag the process out and leave some things not managed correctly

If it comes to the crunch though, I can certainly organise the transportation/setup of the arena, organise the rounds and yell at people for 2-3 days. I would just need the assistance of someone who can do the negotiation and string pulling from within the locale of the venue.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:13 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Guys...Jules and I are local and could have a crack at the negotiations...we know most of the gallery people so that could come in handy. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm 
Jolijar

What do you guys pay for insurance? thinking of building an arena for 1lb and 3lb here in the US.

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Before the Event

Before you can even think about running and organising an event you need to make a number of decisions and consider whether it is even possible.

So before you event think about running a public event the first question you should ask yourself is: Will there be enough robots?

The absolute minimum in my opinion is 8. If you do not think you will be able to have 8 then its probably not worth running a public event. You should maybe look at a private event instead.

The second question is: How will it be funded?

You do not want to try and run an event with < $2k in funding. I am not saying you can't but I am saying that it will probably cost more than this by the time you add up all the bits you spend money on and realistically it just makes life hard for you.

These days there is two real options, sponsorship and crowdfunding.

So sponsorship can come in many forms but the easiest way to do this is usually to find a venue who is willing to sponsor you to have an event. Robot events are a great spectacle and its not usually a very hard sell to get somewhere to swing you some cash to do an event. If you do this make sure you get a signed agreement between you and the organisation/venue. This should spell out the responsibilities of each party and also the amounts which they will be giving you and when. You must do this, you should also give them an estimate of how many robots you will have, how long the event will go for and make sure they know that there will be down time between rounds.

The second option is crowdfunding. Angus can say something on this after 3 events.

The Third Question is: When and Where?

If you are going the venue+sponsorship route then I would suggest you work with them to set a date. You must allow at least 1-2 months from announcing the event to holding it. But the times in which you can actually do it are much more likely to be governed by the venue.

If you wish to source other sponsorship or crowdfund this event becomes a little more complex. You will likely not be able to secure a venue until after you get funding but you should be confident you can.

As for a date this is 90% your decision. I would not suggest publicly asking what date suits builders. EVERYBODY HAS COMMITMENTS any one date will not suit everyone.

If you give people sufficient notice, if they really want to come they can usually make arrangement. And as you will rarely find a date which suits everyone, you usually pick a date which suits you best anyway. If you are the primary organiser and there is an overwhelming unavailability on a certain date you can change it. One thing to remember is to make sure you announce the date to builders before the general public as once its public you absolutely do not want to change the date.

So should or can I run an event?
Be realistic there is no point putting effort into an event which no one will attend but if you have at least considered the above points and are reasonably confident then its probably worth proceeding.

Haven't proof read this yet, will tonight and then add it to the top post.

Steve

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So hopefully now you have decided whether or not it is a good idea, so its now time to think about putting into place the infrastructure to get it to happen.

The Venue
So there is two types of venue, a venue which wants you to be there and a venue you want to be at. Given the nature of what we do and the interest people show it is usually unnecessary to pay for a venue. If you are lucky you will find a venue which is willing to host and sponsor the entire event. This is the best position to be in.

You MUST get a written agreement with the venue. This does not need to be a document drawn up by lawyers, a MOU is sufficient for a typical scale of event but it must detail.
- The Costs/Funding
- The Dates
- The setup and pull down timeframes
- The insurance requirements
- The facilities provided
- And any other information relevant between the two parties.

If you do not do this then you are asking for trouble. Venues like to change things at the last minute just to make your life more interesting while a MOU may not stand up in a court it at least gives you something to point at when they say "we never agreed to that"

Insurance
One thing which all venues will want you to have is public liability usually $20 Million, this is pretty standard. To get this the club will need to be a legal entity, for the QRSC this means an incorporated not for profit organisation. There is usually special insurance for these types of organisations through most agencies.

1yr worth of insurance costs approximate $1.5k for an organisation with no claims holding 1-5 events per year. The cost for a single weekend is ~$900 so you are usually better going for the whole year if you have the possibility of hosting a second event. Organising insurance can take around a month once you fill out the paperwork and get quotes and get your certificate issued. Its surprisingly easy although I think you should think carefully about how you word your application.

Steve

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

So hopefully now you have decided whether or not it is a good idea, so its now time to think about putting into place the infrastructure to get it to happen.

The Venue
So there is two types of venue, a venue which wants you to be there and a venue you want to be at. Given the nature of what we do and the interest people show it is usually unnecessary to pay for a venue. If you are lucky you will find a venue which is willing to host and sponsor the entire event. This is the best position to be in.

You MUST get a written agreement with the venue. This does not need to be a document drawn up by lawyers, a MOU is sufficient for a typical scale of event but it must detail.
- The Costs/Funding
- The Dates
- The setup and pull down timeframes
- The insurance requirements
- The facilities provided
- And any other information relevant between the two parties.

If you do not do this then you are asking for trouble. Venues like to change things at the last minute just to make your life more interesting while a MOU may not stand up in a court it at least gives you something to point at when they say "we never agreed to that"

Insurance
One thing which all venues will want you to have is public liability usually $20 Million, this is pretty standard. To get this the club will need to be a legal entity, for the QRSC this means an incorporated not for profit organisation. There is usually special insurance for these types of organisations through most agencies.

1yr worth of insurance costs approximate $1.5k for an organisation with no claims holding 1-5 events per year. The cost for a single weekend is ~$900 so you are usually better going for the whole year if you have the possibility of hosting a second event. Organising insurance can take around a month once you fill out the paperwork and get quotes and get your certificate issued. Its surprisingly easy although I think you should think carefully about how you word your application.

Steve

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Good work Steve.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:35 am