www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

OVER9000 - Team Knightrous - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

OVER9000 - Team Knightrous - QLD

Nationals is coming up, so time for a new robot! What do you build when you want to rush a robot in <6 weeks for the nationals? BUILD A SPINNER!

Presenting........

OVER9000!!!

Specifications
Chassis/Armour: 3/5/10/20mm welded Aluminium chassis with bolt on Hardox 450 exoskeleton armour.
Weapon: 2.5KG single tooth counter balanced Hardox beater. Spun to 9000+ RPM by a Scorpion HK-4020-1390 motor (or an alternative motor).
Drive: 18V DeWat 3-speed gearmotors with 4"x2" Colson wheels
Controller: BotBitz 85A ESCs for drive, Turnigy TrackStar 150A Reversing BESC for weapon.
Batteries: 22.2v 6S Turnigy NanoTech 3300mAh 65C-130C LiPol

I really just wanted to build a robot that I could yell "IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!" during the battle with.... So far it only exists as a few pen on paper doodlings and a cad file of the beater that was sent off to a quote on getting made this week. I'll try to get some cad work done this week and get some more information up as a lot of it is just head mapped Razz

Last edited by Knightrous on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:15 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Do it immediately Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:20 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Progress!

Quote for the beater has come back and is pretty well priced, so I've ordered 3 of them to be cut. Today the Scoprion weapon motor arrived, this is the first Scorpion motor I've bought brand new and it's cool that it comes in a fancy box/tin and all!

Time to get CAD'ing me thinks!

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:42 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Can tell thats not from hobby king ....looking genius.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:15 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Funnily enough, you can buy them from Hobby King - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__457__59__Electric_Motors-Scorpion_Motors.html
However the specific model I wanted for this robot wasn't available.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 pm 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

nice

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
haz

Ah that looks like the model I was planning to use/saving up for.
Let us know how you get on with it Smile

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 pm 
RogueTwoRobots

I seem to be the only one with a Scorpion motor that didn't have the cool orange colour, I got some weird yellow/gold thing Confused
Anyhoo, I run the 1100kV version of that motor in Drumroll II, quite small compared to all the other Scorpion-powered spinners over here but it more than does the job and has needed little in the way of maintenance. The first thing I did though was replace the shaft so that it was 8mm all the way along.

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:25 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by RogueTwoRobots:

Anyhoo, I run the 1100kV version of that motor in Drumroll II, quite small compared to all the other Scorpion-powered spinners over here but it more than does the job and has needed little in the way of maintenance. The first thing I did though was replace the shaft so that it was 8mm all the way along.

I'm only running a small beater (90mm rotational diameter) so didn't go for the biggest of the motors available. Trying to avoid having a weapon that pulls 11ty million amps for the whole fight Razz The 4020-1390 seemed big enough to have plenty of grunt so the weapon doesn't stall on impact yet still be fast enough for me to have a minimum of 3:1 gearing. Looking to do the 8MM shaft modification myself, just going to source a 12.9 M8 allen head bolt and shove that in.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

CAD Pile of Parts is forming.

Going to try an experiment by having a right angle drive from the weapon motor (2.5:1) which will then run a lay shaft across the robot, where dual belt drives (1.2:1) will then connect up to the weapon. With dual belt drives, I should greatly reduce the chances of breaking a belt during an impact or a hit from another robot. Only needing a 1.2:1 ratio means I can use relatively small pulleys, giving an even lower attack area for any other spinners (I plan to have the pulleys hidden inside the external surface of the robot akin to the Touro robots). The layshaft setup also allows me to shift some extra weight towards the rear of the robot to help keep a good amount of pressure on the rear wedge (so it will go under opponents, not just bounce up and over them!)

1:1 Belt drive from the Dewalts to 4"x2" colson wheels that I ran on Farmboy, this setup like the weapon allows the motors to sit back further and put more weight over the rear. Close enough to the axis of the beater to minimise gyro dancing, but far enough away to keep them out of the strike zone in a weapon to weapon hit. Might consider other belt ratios to tune the Dewalt speed to perfection.

Weapon mounts will be 20mm thick Aluminium with 52X20X19.25 taper roller bearings, which are good for 12000RPM and should handle a shet load of force. Hopefully with some shimming to perfection, they will bring a low friction setup with great reliability.

Getting more and more Reboot like every time I shuffle parts around, maybe it will end up as successful Smile

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:24 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

What do you think about the M3 mounting screws on the 4020 brushless? I am a bit worried they are too small to hold the motor during a major impact, but there isn't much metal to re-tap for M4.

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:17 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Just noticed the bit about replacing the shaft with an 8mm bolt. The shaft diameter is 7.98mm while all the M8 bolts I tried were 7.81 to 7.89mm - that doesn't sound like much, but it can allow the shaft to shake around in the bearings and the can to run off centre, so not a great idea. I tried some drill rod, but it was 8.000 mm precisely and wouldn't fit the bearings Evil or Very Mad.

I am still looking for some metric undersized drive shafts but the best bet so far it to get the Hitachi die grinder turned into a toolpost grinder and get it working on the drill rod.

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
What do you think about the M3 mounting screws on the 4020 brushless? I am a bit worried they are too small to hold the motor during a major impact, but there isn't much metal to re-tap for M4.

It's a worry on the back of my mind, but I think with a support bearing behind the motor can, it should take any axial loading off the screws and only leave torque shear loading, which 4x M3's should be sufficient. Alternatively I might have to make a front mount for the motor that locks into the cooling slots that takes the torque loads off the screws as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Just noticed the bit about replacing the shaft with an 8mm bolt. The shaft diameter is 7.98mm while all the M8 bolts I tried were 7.81 to 7.89mm - that doesn't sound like much, but it can allow the shaft to shake around in the bearings and the can to run off centre, so not a great idea. I tried some drill rod, but it was 8.000 mm precisely and wouldn't fit the bearings Evil or Very Mad.

My idea was to take the motor down to the local bearing shop and just go through a few hundred bolts till I find one that's a sweet fit. If I can't, I'll probably enlist the help of a certain machinist from Gladestone for a custom 4140/4130 shaft Wink

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Press the front of the motor into an aluminium mount then let that take the load. No need to overthink things <_>

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

That's a great idea, but you wouldn't need a particularly deep pocket to take the shear forces off the screws - just 1mm would work if everything was a tight fit.

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 pm