www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Potential Canberra Event - ANU, February 2015
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
Thomas AIC

Potential Canberra Event - ANU, February 2015

Hello all, I think this is the correct forum category for this post, but if not please move it to the correct one.

My name is Tom and I'm one of the co-presidents of the ANU Inventors Club. We would like to hold a large featherweight event early next year. There is a lot of interest at our end, but we are new to the process of holding a Robowars tournament.

Firstly, I would like to say what we can provide:

- No entry fee for competitors
- Venue + Seating
- Featherweight Arena (although if there is a portable one we would prefer the more economic choice)
- Prize Money (Variable amount as sponsorship is still being worked out)

However we would like some things from you guys in order to help the event run:

-Competitors (As many as possible).
-Potential mentors for inexperienced competitors (can just be email correspondence or similar)
-General Information on tournament requirements (i.e. Arena specifications, common tournament layouts, space requirements, Featherweight design requirements)

To this end, I would love to involve the great community here in the design of the event. Where possible we will follow the same rules used in other Australian events, but there may have to be some divergence for practicality purposes.

Please post any expressions of interest, comments, or questions here! Also feel free to PM me if you want to have a larger role in the organisation of the event, which would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I will also be keeping this thread updated with information as we move forward, however it is a fact that we will struggle to get enough competitors for a worthwhile competition without support from the public Robowars community.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hi Tom,

This is great news, thanks for the initiative! You can count me in and I would be happy to answer questions and generally mentor anyone who needs it. As I have been meaning to visit my folks in the ACT , I can probably drop by for a day later in October to show my robots and typical parts and help out with designing your bots.

The single best resource to learn about combat bots is the Riobotz manual, written by a Brazilian engineering professor: http://www.riobotz.com.br/riobotz_combot_tutorial.pdf Its free and packed with detailed and practical info.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Tripping out to ACT is ok by me, QLD is just a bit of a hike in terms of $ and time at the moment :-<

Historically uni students (in engineering etc) haven't been that interested in RW after seeing it the first time ;->

Not enough theory involved that they can really use it for project work seems to be the main issue, leading them to not have enough time for it.

Its a shame because the practical skills gained are great.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas AIC

Hi Nick,

That's great to hear. If I remember correctly, your robot is titanium Scissor-hands? Would be an amazing robot to use as an example! I'll see whether we can get our competitors sorted by late October, your attendance would be awesome.

I remember that tutorial, it's an amazing resource, thanks for sending that to me.

Hi Valen,

Great that you will be able to attend! While I can see how people would see it as 'simplistic' compared to their studies, I don't think that takes anything away from the enjoyment aspect of RW. There seem to be a lot of students (international students particularly) who have done theory their whole lives and would love this opportunity to engage in a hectic practical project. I attended one Robowars event in 2009 at Marayong and the fact that I'm coming back to it now should say something about the appeal of these techno-gladiatorial fights.

Currently I think we should be able to easily get 3 teams/bots from ANU and UC parties, based on the few people who know about the event already. This number will still probably grow come february. Other universities participation will probably depend on the sponsorship resources that become available.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hediger

Im still new to the sport but i'm down in Canberra regularly so you can count me in.
Will definately be able to bring two bots,
Mine are pretty basic so they might not be to interesting to the students (wedge and spinner), but they are more than welcome to compete with my spare bot.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:16 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I am interested in the arena you have mentioned. The Queensland arena is portable, but I am more interested in a new arena being built down in that area since our Sydney friends don't seem to have anywhere to play. My brother and I built the Queensland arena and I have plans for it on my computer. I can offer any advice or assisstance that you need. I might even bring down Avenger.

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:57 pm 
Thomas AIC

Hi Hediger,

Great that you already have two bots if you're 'new'! Love the offer of the spare bot, it will make the event accessible to people who may not be able to build a robot themselves. I'm honestly surprised that Canberra gets so much people traffic, haha, but it's good to hear that you'll be able to make it.

Hi Daniel,

Plans would be great! Now the issue here is, if the arena is built using any university funding it does have to remain the 'property' of the university (effectively it needs to stay in Canberra), so we will have to limit ourselves economically to external funding if the arena is to become a community resource that can be kept in Sydney. I'll talk more about the arena in the PM so we don't clutter the thread (Unless people want to hear about it). Your robot is more than welcome!

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:13 pm 
seanet1310

Got plenty of friends in Canberra I need to visit. If the event does occur I will try to make it.

Steve was also talking of an event March/April in QLD as well (http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19970)

I would be a tad cautious about putting some of the spinners in an untested arena with the public about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If the arena is built from the QLD arena plans it won't really be untested - I'm sure one or two builders could 'test' the arena before any public events Wink. BTW: Don't we have at least one builder living in Canberra at the moment?

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:18 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Remeber the requirement of insurance this is imperitive for public events.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:49 am 
andrew

Sounds like fun,

Not far to travel, i now have a work van and can load up all sorts of fun projects to drag down.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:28 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by marto:
Remeber the requirement of insurance this is imperitive for public events.

An event held on campus would likely be covered by the uni, they would need some sort of blanket cover for all the daily stuff they have going on.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

I'm keen also Smile Large event you say

So we're talking full-noise featherweights only? no sportsman class also?

I have a beetle ready and can put an ant together pretty easily, just saying

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:10 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

You might consider beetles as your first event perhaps?
We have a "mobile" beetle arena we could cart down there and as a class beetles are easier to get into.

Also you can go nuts on a beetle without spending mega$ in ways eng students would like EG www.robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1751

They are big enough that you don't need to go nuts trying to save weight like the ants and small enough to be cheap.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas AIC

That is a beautiful robot Valen.

With regards to other weight classes:
Beatleweights are possible with sufficient interest but you guys would need to supply the arena and other gear, as it's unlikely to fit into the budget. (Things are looking stretched as is). It's a good point that they are cheaper, and easier to get into. For workshop purposes they are clearly a better option, but this is more of a start-of-year event to garner publicity for both Robowars and AIC itself. I do not envisage a huge number of individual students constructing robots, I've recommended they compete in teams so that the cost per-student is less, and it is easier to provide guidance when there are less bots.

IIRC sportsman is featherweights without spinners and the like? I don't think it's worthwhile to separate them like that in this case. Depending on Insurance it'll either be all sportsman or no separate category (please confirm my understanding of sportsman class is correct).

We've definitely passed the competitor interest test, but I do need to submit a full plan to the student association governing body to apply for funds and convince them it's worthwhile. This is more difficult as the politically active students all study Law or Arts and generally hold little interest in anything like this.
Rolling Eyes (A generalisation, but the student elections have just passed and my patience is thin from their vote gathering techniques Wink ).

@Nick, it's unlikely that the event will be confirmed by the end of October, so I wouldn't want to waste your time and money having you come down when things are still in the air. If anything I'll organise our most keen members (Team Captains or however we'll spin it) to come to Sydney for any small event that may be happening. Thanks very much for the offer!

I have a meeting this week and report back with preliminary results. I would also be happy to take suggestions on sponsorship routes, although I do have my own ideas in that regard.

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:10 pm