www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Classified - Team Manifest - ACT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Thomas AIC

Going for Clamper, but hoping to give it enough torque to cause a bit of damage if it bites an exposed wheel or other weak point. I'm gonna eventually try and switch out the motor to a sensored brushless inrunner (The gearbox in my actuator looks like it could handle some extra force), which should give me more speed as well.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Fair enough,
Some general suggestions,
enclose the wheels and angle the back wall.

What are you making the frame out of?

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas AIC

Yeah I really should shield those wheels, I was scared about weight but I don't think it'll be too much of an issue based on the estimates.

Angling the Back wall is a good idea, thanks, didn't think of that.

The Frame will probably be some right angle steel and the armor plates will just bolt on (I can't weld).

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ditch the sabertooth. Will blow up or just generally be annoying.

Steve

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:46 pm 
Thomas AIC

I already have it from a previous project Embarassed

If/When it breaks I'll get the BotBitz 30A ones.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas AIC:
When it breaks I'll get the BotBitz 30A ones.

Just buy the 85A's, you'll thank yourself later.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:40 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, if you go the 85's they will drive pretty much any motor you could want.
I blew up a dewalt and the 85 seems to have survived.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thomas AIC

Okay so did a claw... It's not optimal. I will add some wedge skids under the claw's point as well.

The mechanical advantage decreases my torque by 6x, while increasing stroke (I think) and speed by 6x. I want as much torque as possible, but I guess I can use an actuator with a smaller stroke in this design. Definitely open to claw suggestions.

Post Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:36 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

sticking your actuator up like that it's begging to get it knocked off. it might be a viable design in the sportsman class but even then imagine a 13 kg lump of steel hitting it at 30kmh.
take a look at razor for this style off bot.

in your design what is your actuator working against? It's list going to lift your bot off the ground from what I can see?

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:47 am 
Thomas AIC

Yeah, I was going to add skids, but with a shorter actuator I don't need to anymore and still get full travel. (Ignore lazy CAD-ing)

I'll definitely add a cover for the actuator, but it's a nice thought for it to act as expensive bait.

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:52 am 
Thomas AIC

New Bot

I'm trying to get something together so that I can compete in Nationals. I've finally got a location to build something outside of my apartment.

Not expecting to win, I am trying to design something fairly simple to construct and cheap and easy to replace damaged parts. There's certainly room to upgrade the components down the track. I've gone for a drum weapon. Trying to build a grabber was too hard, but I'd rather die than build a wedge.

Here is a link with a couple of pictures. The robot has a 3mm steel lid not shown.

https://imgur.com/a/C8Suk

I understand that I could improve the weapon motor quite a bit.. But I want to get something simple made first, then upgrade. I'm drowning in drill motors so it's the obvious option for this goal.

Where do people source their sheet metal? this sort of stuff is all I can find and it seems very overpriced for what it is http://www.bunnings.com.au/mini-sheet-1-6-hot-rolled-600x600mm_p0914974.

Robot is 400mm by 250mm. 50*50 5mm steel angle and 3mm steel base is the bulk of the robot. Drum mounts are 10mm steel, drum itself 100mm diameter and 5mm thick. I am sure using bisalloy or similar is something to look into.

Feedback appreciated!

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:20 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Cool. If you need some gear taken we are driving up so can prolly help you out there. Don't forget to register soon.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:21 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

As for steel just head out to Fyswick there is a bunch of suppliers out there that have way more variation and stock. They aren't the cheapest but still 1/2 the price of bunnings.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:27 pm 
Thomas AIC

Thanks for the offer! might sling you a box of stuff if all goes well with construction.

I'm able to devote some solid time to it right now, but there's only one spot left in registration so I'd better get moving. I don't think I should register until I've got at least a half working system.

Yep there are some things you have to go to Fyshwick for and this seems like one of them! Any suppliers you've used before or would recommend?

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Bunnings is a rip-off for metal. Try Metalmart http://www.metalmart.com.au/ or Herzog http://www.herzogsteel.com.au/ or just cruise around Fishwick until you find a dumpster full of interesting scrap Smile.

Post Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 pm