www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Classified - Team Manifest - ACT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Author    Thread
Thomas AIC

Yup Miles&Jules! Probably just a sportsman but we'll see how it goes! I'm already in possession of a number of kmart 12v drills, hopefully enough to get me through a competition! Certainly planning to make a version 2.0 with better parts after the first attempt Cool

Thanks for the offer Marto, I'll see what I can do locally, but if I have any major problems making the parts I'll definitely reach out to you. Plan is to fabricate the frame first then I'll look at the tricky bits (drum endcaps and mounting).

Post Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Maybe run it at 3s for 12v drills….they will be slower but they wont explode. Also if you can work out a way of having outer wheel supports that will save them to. We made a steel hub that came off the threaded drill through the wheel and into an outer bearing. This was all held in 20mm breadboard motor mounts. That really stops em from exploding to. Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 am 
Thomas AIC

Hey guys I think I made a mistake.

I keep trying to use a drill as my weapon motor but for some reason it transformed into a 2000W Brushless system? Has anyone else experienced this error?

Forgot I had it lying around. It's 200Kv, Might surround it in rubber and use the outrunner shell itself as the friction drive. Need to see whether that'll give me enough drum speed as I'm not sure what the standard is... 1000RPM? 5000RPM?

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Thnk that will be to fast for a sportsman though…be interesting if it works as a friction drive though Very Happy

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:05 pm 
maddox

200KV, on 3S that will do only 2200rpm. On 6S it doubles.(and is the limit of that TZ85)

Drum speeds are now up to 14Krpm

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Thomas AIC

Thanks, There's also about a 1:1.25 ratio in the friction drive that slows down the drum further. Implementing a gearbox would be quite a complication. I think I will go with this for now and switch out for a higher kV outrunner after Proof of Concept. Normally I have too many RPM so it's nice to have too few for once!

I just need to make a 63mm bore 80mm OD tyre for it, seems pretty straightforward.

Post Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:10 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Friction drive should work. Just make sure you can adjust it as the tire wears.

Any real pics yet?

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:54 pm 
Thomas AIC

Made some actual progress today, I had to learn to weld as well so things took a while. I cut the angle and welded it up into a box, didn't get a good picture post weld so here's pre-weld. 6mm Aluminium will bolt onto that 3mm steel so it should be strong!

Hoping that tomorrow I can cut the aluminium, bolt it all together and do the wheel cut-outs. Tonight I will be 3D printing my drill mounts, though does anyone sell mounts that are a bit stronger? I'm concerned that they will be a weak point.

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Greatwork ..did ya see my aluminium box section reinforced drill mounts in the tech section? i can send you the stl if ya want Very Happy

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 pm 
Thomas AIC

Wow that's a great design. I'd love the stl, do you have it somewhere for download? or you could email it to thomas.mcmenamin@yahoo.com. Thanks a bunch. The version that retains the original drill gearbox is enough for me Razz

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

No worries... let us know how they go…also remember to print the mounts laying flat so they are stronger…also acetone coating will add strength.

Post Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:40 pm 
Thomas AIC

Here's where I am now, printing the new mounts tomorrow (my printer is loud!), Then up to sydney for a few days so won't be able to work on it. Things are coming together, ordered some 30A botbitz esc's, I figure that's enough for 12v drills at 3s.

Post Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:06 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Which class are you building for, open or sportsman?

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:08 am 
Thomas AIC

I'm hoping open, I think the frame and armour will be strong enough, Just a matter of getting the friction drive right.

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:57 pm 
Thomas AIC

Had enough time to print off one mount before I had to drive up to Sydney:

There is a bit of space around the motor for the rear mount so it's loose... Strangely this was the same for both my old-fashioned drill mounts and Miles&Jules design. Anyone know why this could be? The piece printed with the correct dimensions, so it's not a printing error. I might just have to CAD the rear mount again with a bit of a smaller hole.

Post Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 pm