www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

The Unofficial FRA UK Championships Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

The Unofficial FRA UK Championships Thread

Just going to dump info and pictures from my on site reporters.

Glen and Nick have both won matches.

Nick working on Mr Mangle.

Dave Mould's having a cuppa

Glen wrote off Binky in the first round. Some serious damage here.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Inside one of many well built UK robots.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Ouch....

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:22 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Another snap of the damage on Binky from Decimator.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

That was wedgie those bent titanium bits^^ the guys were repairing it for hours, and to their credit got it working again Smile

But yeah we're doing well. Nick won his first fight but his roll over hoop got caught on the pit button for the 2nd one, so unlucky!

Decimators working well, it gets too hot on 6s so i dropped it to 5 and its a bit better. And it has such an epic bite the weapon stalls out so ive been turning it off before an impact to save the weapon controller. I definitely need to work out a clutch or one way bearing arrangement..

First fight with wedgie and binky. Took the front off wedgie and knocked it out, then had a crack at binkys weapon which broke the entire bulkhead and cut the links off Smile

2nd was flow vs defector, flow didn't enter, so it was just 2. I dont think he was driving too well so i hit the front trying to take off the weapon arms and put some serious gouges in the plastic, then basically reached into the back of the robot and smashed the entire drive out :p was pretty good.

So thats all for day 1. Theres been some great fights all round so very keen for vids!

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think we can safely say its an Aussie assault on the world title Laughing. Decimator probably did the most damage of any of the spinners today - while the vertical spinners threw their opponents out of the arena, Glen just ripped and smashed the other bots, while taking no damage. Here are some of the other bots:

Why o why don't I ever get to fight plastic armored flippers?

Drumroll's fancy drum teeth are not lasting well - it could be that the welding made them brittle.

Shard is a definite contender - it is undefeated and doesn't have a scratch. Sam's usual CNC goodness inside.

Anubis had the worst luck and si out of the comp with broken drive motors.

DB10 also had some bad luck after meeting 722 but its still in and only lightly damaged.

Clank 3 has been doing OK despite problems with the flipper arm.

Mouldy's Menagerie - we finally meet tomorrow! Twisted Evil

The shiny baubles that we all want to take home.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:55 am 
RogueTwoRobots

quote:
Drumroll's fancy drum teeth are not lasting well - it could be that the welding made them brittle.

They've definitely not lasted as well as I expected, but I was fighting Galactus and there were some really, really hard hits in that fight. His teeth are 15mm thick spring steel. I did bend one of them up by about 5° so it was worthwhile :p

The needle roller bearing cage on one side has started to break up though and I've lost five rollers from it, so the drum's starting to suffer a bit but is still running okay. I've changed back to the other Scorpion motor, so it's running at a slower speed but more torque so it'll hopefully overcome any resistance in the drum setup on spin-up more easily than the smaller, faster motor. Plus if I reduce the power of the weapon, I might stand more of a chance of surviving the rest of the competition!

Decimator has been far and away the best robot so far, so many people quaking in their boots about the prospect of fighting it and it can dish out that punishment without wrecking itself too much, so it's got a great chance of going really far. Nick, you were incredibly unlucky with getting stuck on the pit tyre two years in a row! Definitely need to enter Shiny next time with its inverted driving Smile
But you're on 6 points, as are a lot of people, so even if you can get second place in both your remaining qualifiers, you'd stand a pretty good chance of making it through.

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:55 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by RogueTwoRobots:
Nick, you were incredibly unlucky with getting stuck on the pit tyre two years in a row!

I'd call those roll over hoops a design flaw then Razz
Loving the updates guys! Keep em coming!

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:34 am 
Cpnwolfe

you guys are awesome! and thank you for making this thread to keep us update Knight

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Some more random shots I've pulled from facebook.

Drum robots 720, 721 & 722. Or it might be Drumroll 1, Drumroll 2 & Drumroll 3, I forget.

Another Decimator'd opponent.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Couple of photos from Nick's thread.

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:55 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Awesome any vid?

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:35 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Day two:

Mr Mangle is in to the main competition with 12 points but most unfortunately, Decimator missed the cut-off point with only 10 points after visiting the pit of despair on both it's matches.

The results of Glen's match with Mini Moth and Wedgie:

Glen was totally dominating the match until Decimator went into the pit weapon first; the bar caught the edge of the pit and the recoil threw Decimator back out of the pit and over the arena wall.

The results of Glen's match with Hatchet and Valkyrie:

More random photos from the pits:

A wheel module from Catharsis; notice the shock mounts on the P60 gearbox and the super quality urethane wheel.

The CNCed disk and hub motor from Catharsis. That's absolutely amazing work and I have to put Catharsis as a hot favorite for a 'best constructed' award!

The burnt out stator from Catharsis's hub - its originally from a Hobbyking motor. It doesn't quite have enough torque but with a custom rewind, it could double the power.

Hardwired loses its weapon and gains a banana

The internals of Galactus - how massive are those front bulkheads?

The internals of Turbulence

Predator gets retired

And finally, the fight between Shard, Conker 3 and Beauty 8. Its hands down the best match I have seen in years and everyone has to watch the multiple videos of this match; I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

Beauty 8 is usually the hot favorite in any of it's matches, but this time Shard and Conker teamed up on it and total carnage ensued. The aftermath looked like this:

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:48 am 
RogueTwoRobots

Ladies and gentlemen...ah who am I kidding, just gentlemen :p

Video footage of Beauty 8's demise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6h5ENv61Wk

That said, he's managed to weld the chassis back together and I have to fight it tomorrow Shocked

Far and away the best fight I've ever witnessed in the featherweight class. The video doesn't capture the full carnage but bits were flying all over the place and battering the polycarb screens. The arena has taken an absolute pounding this year!

With great power, comes great reliability

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:11 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

The beauty shard conker fight was just awesome! He really got mugged by both the spinners. After how easy beauty was winning through the day it was nice to see him take a beating Laughing

Decimators now out of the main competition but it laid out a fair amount of damage through the weekend. Minimoth vs wedgie i smacked the front off of wedgie again then made a mess of minimoths titanium bucket, but the backlash sent decimator flipping sideways into the pit, the blade caught the edge then flew out of the arena :p damn!

Next fight against valkiri and hatchet sucked lol, i tried to take the side off valkiri and got a big hit on it, missing all the important stuff unfortunately cause the robot is massive, then tried to run off to the other side of the arena to take a big run up at it, but only managed to scoot across the pit just as it started opening Embarassed i think i might have even pushed the open button too Embarassed what a dumbass! Lol

So missed out by 1 point i think but plenty happy with it otherwise Smile zero mechanical issues thus far. Most of the other heavy hitting spinners are out as well leaving the flippers and drums/beaters in the finals much as expexted Smile

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger