www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

CAD models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Author    Thread
assassin

just like anything the more you play with it the better you get. Online videos and the included help files save time.

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:56 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Been design car bits again, this time a set of headers for a Toyota 1MZFE 3.0L V6 motor. This time I've made all the pipe from mandrel stock I can buy online in 180' bends, which just get sliced up into the angles needed. Designing the merger next followed by the secondaries

The coolest part was these ones nearly came out pretty close to tuned length!
In order of left to right:
Runner A = 355.43mm
Rubber B = 338.15mm
Runner C = 356.83mm

Was surprised A & C matched up so close, I thought C was going to be the shortest. B is only out by 17mm, which is a bit, but not too bad. The next part I need to do is work out what primary length suits the power band of the V6 so I can extend the straight lengths that go into the merger to get the correct length.

I love it when you can roll a few of your hobbies into one session Cool

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:17 am 
Jaemus
Experienced Roboteer

very nice!

looks pretty straightforward to construct, good job!

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:42 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Ive been playing with a new Engine Analyzer Program a bit recently.
Engine Analyzer Pro v3.3.. funky fun. You can model all sorts of nifty air flow parameters, ports, pipes, and so on.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found any magic ingredients to let me get the 'ol Hemi much past 300-310 Hp without stuffing extra air in (Super, Turbo or Nitrous charging).

They're an easy mill to get to churn out 300 neddies, beyond that it all starts hitting the limit all over the place. Ah well, 300 horses from a normally aspro 265 cube engine is nothing to sneeze at I suppose.

If you would like to spin a few virtual motors yourself, let me know, you can try out those virtual pipes on them before condensing them from vapour into steel Smile

Post Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

300HP with 4.3L (69HP/L) isn't too bad for a the 70's era. What kind of work is done to the motor to produce that figure? Just the normal aggressive cams, tuned exhaust/intake and a bump in compression?

Will have to have a look a Engine Analyzer Pro v3.3, could be interesting for running some ideas through for the 3L V6 in my shed.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yes, nothing wild, a bit of mild porting work, triple webers & extractors, a medium size cam and about 9.5:1 squeeze.

The Hemi 6's ports and combustion chamber were the best around at the time, nowadays its all 4 and 5 valve rigs, or forced induction, making Hemi heads un-needed,

But, until just a few years ago the E49 Hemi-6 Charger held the title of the fastest accelerating production car ever made in Australia (holding that title for over 30 years is a damn good effort for a big old lump of low tech 70's cast iron !) and at the time it was the fastest factory 6 cylinder production car in the *world*.

So you dont need to do a lot to them to get them motorvating Smile

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

the old Hemi six was a pretty nice engine Smile
They're much more responsive and fuel efficient than the other local engines too!

Still, these days you can get 300hp from a 2L n/a engine without touching the standard internals!

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

ah yes, but for *how long* ? Wink

Any rice-burner jockey can turn up the boost and pump 3x the air for a while.. but once you go much past 1.5hp per cube, you're not burning fuel anymore, you're burning the engine.. Get a few miles on those mega boosted hair dryers and then see how well they're coping

[edit] Hang on, you said 300hp from 2L n/a - as in normally aspirated ? 122 cubes ? 2.5Hp per Cubic Inch Normally Aspirated ? What street motor does that ?

I had a Nitrous Kit on the Hemi for a while years back.. It was fun for a while, (until I blocked a fuel jet and melted down a piston.. ) but these days I'm not interested in trying that hard to be king of the red light races.. Smile

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:40 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The Honda S2000 slams out 250HP from the F20C 1997cc natro motor, straight from the factory.

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cant wait till the new generation direct injection 2 strokes start to replace the dinosaur 4s. 370hp per liter ohhhhh yeah Cool

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:29 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Fair enough.

Impressive, I just had a look at that Motors specs, although with peak power at 8600rpm, I would hope it has a 6 speed semi-auto or you will be rowing it along !

directly comparing power per litre of 2 strokes vs 4 strokes isnt fair, since the 2 stroke has twice as many firing events, what you really need to look at is the SFC (or BSFC) figure. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_specific_fuel_consumption - that shows you how many ponies you're getting vs the fuel you're burning.

If horsepower per displacement was directly comparable across engine types, then the Wankel Rotary would be considered a good engine.. instead of a good fuel pump Smile

Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:19 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Ok i have never played with cad before but id like to at least be able to draw up say box tube designs or diff shape plate to be sent off to cut out.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good program to use and how to start off?

Cheers.

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Chose a software package: Rhino3D, AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidworks.
Then google for tutorials for that program.

Post Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:50 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

What I have here is Reboots chassy drawing in development on CAD Inventor, so far Ive spent around 3 hours drawing what i have done so far and what you see is probably only one third complete. This is a 3D sketch and this wire frame will become the path my sweep tool will follow in the same geometry as the tubes reboots made from.

The yellow squares are work plains, the purpose of those referencing too in the middle of space.
Also use them as a surface to draw on in 2D sketch
Also they helped overcome some problems with finding a point along a line between a bend and a straight.. i was wanting to snap to the interval point between those which should usually show up...which may be an inventor weakness or my inexperience.

Also its not possible to mirror a drawing in 3D sketch which means i need to draw each side even though they're identical

Tools for measuring so far have been simply my 15 cm and 50 cm ruler, my Aldi digital vernier caliper and also my degree wheel a few times

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:33 am 
Rob Team Rotwang

I have done some of the sweeps, wasn't able to do the whole frame in one sweep like i wanted, the command wont allow for forking just one continual line so it will be more like a dozen separate sweeps but they will all join together seamlessly.

I guess what I would like to try with this drawing is some stress analysis, it would be interesting to maybe put some force on the drum axel and see where that force goes through the frame...

Also got some upgrades to make which ill do in cad first to see how they fit, i got a brushless to replace the 100W scooter and will be running A123's and maybe a smaller speed controller instead of the IBC... so its all becoming more compact and most of the works will fit inside the space the Nicads used to occupy by themself

Post Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:10 pm