www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> New Builders

new builder
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
James2

new builder

hi all,

I'm James from SA, been looking in to roboWars for a while now and finally decided to give it a go. Just looking for some advice from the community and information on any events that are around.

For experience i'm an electrician by trade. I have been racing rc short course tucks for many years.

cheers all.

Post Thu May 07, 2015 7:44 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Great to hear from you.

Really these days we only have a few big events a year. I am doing something at Vivid Sydney in 3 weeks. Or there is the Nationals in Brisbane in October. Doing stuff local is great but its hard to get the numbers and motivation without a big crowd.

Are you keen to travel? They are usually pretty interesting weekends.

Steve

Post Thu May 07, 2015 10:50 pm 
James2

I am keen to know if theres anyone in sa just to have a good look at one to see and get a good starting point.

Post Fri May 08, 2015 10:23 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Sean is around for the moment though not sure how much longer is in adelaide.

Steve

Post Fri May 08, 2015 12:35 pm 
seanet1310

A South Australian, welcome. I am a South Australian (Adelaide) but only until the day before Vivid (late May 15) unfortunately.

While my current robot is quite terrible as it was built very quickly and and now butchered to have a new weapon, I may have some free time next weekend around preparing to move.
If you have done RC trucks you will be familiar with all the basics to get a robot moving like RX, motors, batteries (generally lithium now) and ESC (although hobby brushed ESC are not generally up to the task although people are having luck with brushless for drives).

Key differences are ensure it can instantly reverse, has a weapon of some sort (even if it is a wedge or axe bolted to the front of the robot for non sportsmen) and has suitable armor (sportsmen need less).

Last year at the nationals we had a chipboard armored wedge and a robot made out of plastic cutting boards so it can be very easy to get started without needing full metal machining workshops.

-Sean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri May 08, 2015 4:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James2

Cheers for the information. whichs is the most popular? And which would you guys recommend?

Post Fri May 08, 2015 4:47 pm 
seanet1310

You can be more creative with the sportsmen class as you don't need huge amounts of Armour.

All sportsmen can generally entire the normal featherweight comps if they are tough enough but the super simple wedge robot can't enter a sportsmen. Kojack is a good example of a sportsmen that has completed very successfully in the nationals.

The nationals have always been normal fetherweighs. It is only every couple of years a very large, interstate sportsmen featherweight event is held. If you are willing to travel to QLD for their smaller events then sportsmen is more suitable as they can have non spinner events.

The other divisions in Australia are Beetles (popular in NSW that have an arena set up in a builders back yard) and Ants in QLD.

Ants often make an appearance at the nationals however last year it was a tad lackluster so I am unsure if this will continue.

Post Sat May 09, 2015 4:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James2

cheers, so the sportsmen class is the same as featherweight bar the shape restrictions and weapons? 13.6kg?

I probably only going to make one event a year due to the traveling. (more if i get addicted).

Post Sat May 09, 2015 7:43 pm 
seanet1310

Yea, both 13.6kg

Basics of sportsmen fetherweights is. Needs an active weapon, no wedges, severe limits on spinning weapons.

Basics of Normal Fetherweights is. Can have wedge, typically does not need an active weapon, no limits on spinning weapons.

Both ban some weapons like EMPs and depending on the venue it is safer to assume that flamethrowers are banned these days at most if not all locations.

Post Sat May 09, 2015 8:48 pm 
James2

Cheers for the help. im guessing spinning weapons are like a rotating mass or saw blade. But a swing arm like weapon is ok.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 4:49 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I think saws are still OK in sportsman bots, reason being their low weight. There is a pretty cool sportsman in the US that packs a chainsaw as one of its weapons!

Post Sun May 10, 2015 5:18 pm 
seanet1310

From the email regarding the upcoming sportsman. If you planned to go saw on a sportsman be proactive I would recommend. Stevo entered an actuated saw bot last public sportsman

The No Wedge rule states that all surfaces within 1 inch of the ground must be perpendicular to the floor. Weapon designs must be consider this rule and while a sloped surface may be allowed this must be kept within reason. This rule is does not explicitly state what is and is what not allowed but as a rule of thumb anything greater than 1/4 of the robot width would not be considered eligible. If you have any doubts please contact me about your robot. As always this does not apply to weapon spatulas

The Spinning Weapons are not allowed to spin above 400rpm however does allow weapons with low inertia. Based on this unmodified saw blades may be allowed but any weapon exceeding the 400rpm or with high mass should contact me prior to competing.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 6:21 pm 
James2

Been doing a lot of sketches and some plans. Got all of my motion and power systems sorted. Been playing with the idea of a swing arm with a spike. In a bot with a triangle kind of frame and a dome cover. With mechanics not being my strong point. I think im just going to have to experiment. Thinking along the line of a linea servo for the swing action.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If you were thinking about an axe weapon, linear actuators are usually much to slow. They are good for weapons that crush or grip, but not for something that moves fast enough for an impact. Other builders have use scooter motors and belt or chain reduction to swing an axe weapon.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 8:08 pm 
James2

Cheers, for all the help much appreciated.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 11:50 pm