www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> The Marketplace

KAN packs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

I just stole the one out of my car. Chuck the battery charger on it every evening and it's good as. You might have also seen me running the Omni of a DOSS 7amp at the Marayong Annihilator Very Happy

TOT: When can we get a spell checker for these forums, Welchy seems to be getting worse Very Happy

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:52 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I did some painful thrashing about in the mire of beauracracy (customs.gov.au) today and the united states postal service and found the following.

NiCad batteries attract a 5% duty, and a 10% GST on import, and the GST is calculated *including* the shipping cost (grumble). However, if the value of the total shipment is less than $250, or the amount owing to customs is less than $50, they wont bother.. so..

The weight on the N3000CR is 84grams per cell, so 840grams for a 12v pack, double that for a 24v pack - not allowing for solder, wire, conenctors, heatshrink and packaging - so close enough to 1kg per 12v.. and 1kg = 2.2 pounds.

Assuming we want them in a hurry (about 1 week) then USPS Global Express Mail starts at $28US for up to 3 pounds, (which immediately near doubles the cost of the pack if you just buy one), and each additional pack adds about $8.80US to the postage.

Assuming we want to avoid the duty and tax, we need to stay under a single shipment value of $250 Aus or about $175 US.

4 packs would be $120US, plus $52.80 postage, which brings us in at $172.80US or about $246 Aus. (right on the limit before tax gets added).

That makes it about $61 Aus per 12v pack.

Not too bad. I dont have a price on new N3000CR cells from Master Instruments, but based on the other prices I got, I'd expect them to come in around the $6-7/cell mark (if you buy 100 cells), so these 2nd hand packs are costing about the same per cell as new ones would here, but you get the assembly, soldering, heatshrink, wire and connectors thrown in which tips the balance slightly in their favour. If you got slugged for the Duty and GST though, they probably wouldnt look so good, so dont order more than 4 packs per shipment

So, who still wants some, and how many ? I suggest trying to get 4 packs per shipment, and get the shipments done by John to 1 person in each state (assuming noone wants 4 packs to themselves), then you can pickup your share of the shipment from your local receiving point. Smile. I'll do the Melbourne receiving point if anyone else wants any. who's going to do the NSW one ?

(I'm still going to get my new cells from Master Instruments, but I might grab a pack or two of these to see how they go).

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by teamvertex:
TOT: When can we get a spell checker for these forums, Welchy seems to be getting worse Very Happy

Well, I have been looking at installing PhpSpell, but I did some checking, and it didnt know what to suggest for "teh", so I dont know if it would help welchy much.. Wink

Installing it means some fiddling about with the forum code and templates, but If you really want it, I'll have a go at installing it anyway. (arent I nice.. Twisted Evil ? ) Laughing

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

About customs: I learnt a few things the hard way Crying or Very sad .

If the shipment total including freight etc is likely to be over $1000, just don't order! Customs will put it thru a painful mandatory inspection process that has a fee of around $50 (could be higher) and they charge you for that even if the shipment attracts zero duty.

I can't think what the code is, but model toys and parts therof are completly free of duty and will only get the GST as per what Brett said. since we are getting pre-made packs, we can claim this and pay just the pack price plus shipping. I always get shipments marked "Parts for toy robot" and it has worked 100%

Since January I have paid no duty on anything and only GST on one thing that was shipped DHL, who kindly "did the right thing". When stuff is shipped USPS (like Robot Marketplace uses) it never seems to get inspected. The slower 2-3 week service costs a bit less too.

Post Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:32 pm 
andrew

Well personally ill buy 4 12 volt packs but if it will cause problems with shipping and crap then ill just get 2 (would rather 4 though).

Post Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:49 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, if you're going to buy 4, then you might as well get a shipment all to yourself (for reasons mentioned above).

So, no Melbourne-ites want any of these packs ? I was just going to get 2, so theres room in my shipment for another 2 which helps lower the cost per pack with the shipping..

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:03 pm 
andrew

well ill only get 2 then and u can throw them in your shipping pack as well Brett.

When u get them in ill call u or something to organise stuff from there.

thanks.

Post Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:55 pm 
andrew

just wondering whats happening with getting these packs.

I am keen to get 2 or 4 (depending if i have to pay for all courier costs or if 2 fits with somebody elses 2).

with the other thread on seperate cells i wont be buying any as i would rather have one premade for that good a price.

If people are buying some then when and how much will each person need to put in for postage and crap.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:46 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

something less honest and upstanding citisens than ourselvs occasionally do is ask the shipper to put the "price" on the form as $5 or $20 or something token.

just saying so we all know not to do this naughty thing.

Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm ordering a single pack, so is there any QLD guys that would like to order a pack with me to cut down on postage?

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:50 pm 
andrew

ditto there aaron,
I wouldnt mind buying 2 or even better 4 packs. Probably 2 though for now.

Not sure if theres anybody down here who wishes to get some amd split postage etc but i would like to get 1 or 2 packs if need be.

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:11 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hmmm interesting... but i aint got the money for it or i would go 2 packs with ya welcho... unless there is a payment plan or something i cant afford it at the moment Confused

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Welchy, you still up for ordering two packs? If so, I'm looking at ordering my packs in the next month and thought we might be able to combine our orders together to cut down on postage.

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:02 pm 
andrew

yeah why not. I could borrow some money from savings again (i have like 32 000 worth of savings left). how much all up including shipping will 2 12 volt packs be in aussie dollars.

Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:05 pm