www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hydra~Rotwang Robotics~VIC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Rob Team Rotwang

Thanks Brett, yes definitely got the Rotwang DNA hasn't it. Smile

Bump updated first post, might move on to posting in some of the other build threads, Hydra is pretty much set for the Nationals now. Excited to see how it goes first time out. Quite a few lessons learnt on previous bots in the past so it should perform well. Would be good to get some driving practice. thats one of the tricks. Some people have to finish building their bot on the day and stick it in the arena. Id rather that not be the first time i drive it Smile

Post Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:19 pm 
seanet1310

It often's hows when people practice driving.

Is there any special type of valcro you use? I have always been worried it would fail to hold but Rotwang have battle tested it repeatedly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob Team Rotwang

We used real Velcro once when the Neighbours people payed for it. Smile Otherwise its just made in china generic hook and loop with adhesive backing. cheap stuff is best uesd fresh cause the glue drys out due to the peel off backing being paper. the velcro uses plastic backing.

the light radio receiver and controllers dont have much mass to move and the battery has velcro on two sides so its got a lot of surface adhesion to cover both shear and tension forces.

like you say we use it on all the bots, everything in bender is stuck in place and that receives the most shocks out of any and no problem Smile

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:48 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Reminds me of the workshop possum with the young one on its back.

Not hard to build a dual wielding middle weight with 120lbs to spend, a novelty in the feather class.

Post Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:30 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

damage report robowars ipswich 2015 nationals

Fought Berserker(win?), Aussie battler(loss?), slinky(win) and citizen flips(loss), went in the 13 robot combined melee with girlfriend pami driving, never driven a robot before, really enjoyed it.

Hydras first time out, first driving practice, as expected very fast, twitchy steering. Might've done most of the damage to the drum by ramming the walls and robots or was that all from landing after those big flips. not sure.

drum does not go around anymore, saw does not go around. still a good ram bot/thwack bot. deflected a lot of hits in the rumble by spinning.

might need to upgrade that saw motor to a brushless, the fan motor pops the circuit breaker throughout the fight and doesnt spin fast enough to do anything. i bent it until it was unusable backing into the walls.

drum no longer goes around, the plastic inner wheels are broken where the bearings go in, the axles bent and the steel tube is flattened on the sides in a few spots.
drum seemed less effective than original minimower, probably spins a lot slower or doesnt have the grip with the friction wheel minimower had.

picked up lots of dents in the rumble and a broken pulley on the saw.

overall not a bad starting point won a couple of fights, thought it would be more successful before seeing it in the arena. but the weapons were a bit dull. has some room for improvement with the saw and once the wheels wear down the grip will improve for pushing. the drum might be able to get some better grip with the friction wheel for lifting. and my driving will improve, might alter the exponential to lower the twichyness

First fight ever berserker

VIDS

flips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXq7BwaoXCs
slinky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnd8g6hKxew
berserker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxLfTveCywk
rumble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_o3psl9fDA&list=PLCw5EpJWmv1k3ZftAkl-zORrzFhEjf-Mg&index=19

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:52 pm