www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Planners : Frosty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Planners : Frosty

So Cassie was thinking about a reverse flame thrower, rather than spraying butane, squirting co2, what's the thinking on the legality of such a weapon. If jets of liquid co2 leave the bot would that fall afoul of the no liquids rule, given that traditionally flame throwers have been at least somewhat exempt.

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
maddox

It's a special effect, and as long it doesn't interfere with the view, it's just "cool" to see.

But as a weapon, nah.

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

Nah as in not legal or as in won't do anything?

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
maddox

It's not allowed according the FRA rules.

quote:
12.8 Smoke and Light
Smoke and light based weapons, which impair the viewing of robots by an Entrant, Judge, Official or Viewer.
(You are allowed to physically engulf your opponent with your robot however.) This includes, but is not
limited to the following:
12.6.1 Smoke or Dust
Large quantities of smoke or dust. Limited smoke effects may be allowed by some events.
12.6.2 Lights
Lights such as external lasers above Class 2 (1mw) output and bright strobe lights, which may blind the
opponent.
12.9 Hazardous Materials
Hazardous or dangerous materials are forbidden from use anywhere on a robot where they may contact
humans, or by way of the robot being damaged (within reason) contact humans. If unsure please contact the
Fighting Robot Association.

On the other hand, it's a fire extinguisher.... A safety device.

And I doubt it will do anything to the current crop of machines.
UHMWPE, titanium or aluminium won't care whatsoever.
Mild steel could get brittle, if you dump enough CO2 over it to cool it down to -40°C.

That is why any demonstration cold induced brittleness is done with Liquid Nitrogen or even colder fluids/gasses.

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I believe her idea was the thermal shock, a motor going from 70c to -something could cause damage.
I'm not sure that it would really be covered by the smoke rule there, I mean it displayed very quickly and encompassing your opponent in flame also obscures their robot.

I was thinking it'd probably be entered in the sportsman class if it counted as an active enough weapon. It'd be photogenic at least

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:35 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

If you make a CO2 thermal shock bot, I will have to make a sportsman armoured with beer - everyone wins at the end of the match. Smile

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:14 pm 
maddox

If you can spray the CO2 snow directly on the hot motor it is remotely possible to damage it.

Post Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:38 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I think you would cause more damage with a flipper or axe powered by CO2 instead spraying it on an opponent.

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:23 am 
maddox

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
If you make a CO2 thermal shock bot, I will have to make a sportsman armoured with beer - everyone wins at the end of the match. Smile

I'm willing to supply beer, but for more internal armoring of the drivers after the fights.

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:44 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

I have suggested similar things to her regarding damage, she wants more show than go *le sigh*

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:25 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Potential for good video fighting a flame thrower. Always wonted to do a flame weapon on Skely.

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:07 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

well there was the idea that if there were a comp where flame was allowed it would be a relatively trivial change to make ;->

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:22 am 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Do both, more thermal shock if you heat then chill. Or just be nice and put opponents bot out after he taps.

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:03 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Hmmm interesting.

I honestly don't see any issues with this in a normal comp. I don't think the quantities of CO2 would be high enough to cause any safety issues but at the same time I don't think its really an active weapon either.

I would love to see it combined with a flamethrower as a novelty bot that could fight something semi flammable for display but I don't think it qualifies for sportsman entry.

Steve

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm 
Ondray

It won't be liquid CO2 by the time it reaches the other bot, it'll be CO2 snow blasting, ie it'll become dry ice powder. Still a lot of thermal shock potential but nowhere near as much thermal conductivity as liquid will provide.

It would create an effect very similar to a fire extinguisher (as has been pointed out already) and so a lot of visual obstruction.

Liquid N2 on the other hand would stay liquid for longer, is colder and would make less dry ice mess in the arena - but just as much visual obstruction.

Post Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:31 pm