www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Antweights - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
James2

For the track bot you could cut the tabs off the wheels to try and cut a little bit of weight off.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:00 pm 
evil_steve

quote:
Originally posted by James2:
For the track bot you could cut the tabs off the wheels to try and cut a little bit of weight off.

That's a good suggestion, thanks.

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:59 pm 
Fryddog

Ah that's cool then. That might have saved me a lot of headaches when I was building mine. Haha!

Looking great by the way Steve. Looking forward to the upcoming fight!

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:47 am 
evil_steve

Was having issues with how the lifting arm attached to the servo, so I decided to replace both. Using a smaller/lighter servo means the bot just scrapes into weight without having to cut off/drill out any stuff.

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:04 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

that looks depressingly neat ;-P

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
evil_steve

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
that looks depressingly neat ;-P

Nah, that's just the benefit of using an offcut of PVC downpipe for the body - everything else is just kind of jammed in there.

Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:08 pm 
evil_steve

Well, Picobyte is "done" - but is ineffective enough that I'm already thinking about a complete rebuild. Essentially the underlying chassis needs to be smaller & lighter - smaller so the shell can sit closer to the ground, lighter so I actually have room in the weight budget to add teeth to it!

It's also rather difficult to drive when spun up. https://youtu.be/o-tuJj3VAGI

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:28 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

It looks a bit top-heavy but the likely problem is the carpet. How does it drive on a hard surface?

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:42 pm 
evil_steve

Don't know yet, I'll try when it's not raining outside Very Happy
(don't really want to try it on our newish dining table, have the wood for an arena but haven't built it yet)

Post Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:15 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

you will save a surprising amount of weight with trimming your wires to length.

Do you have a power switch type thing you can access from the bottom?
On cassies bot we aimed a LED out the front in the gap between the bowl and the ground as the direction indicator.

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Dropping to a 180mAh battery will also save weight and space.

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:09 am 
evil_steve

There is a power switch on the bottom yeah, and I actually have a blue 3mm LED and resistor (and even a hole drilled in the chassis), I just haven't wired them up yet.

I was planning on shortening the wires and going to a smaller battery when I rebuild the chassis, the 300mAh is just the one I had left after building the other bots. Looking at the bot again though, if I gain enough weight I might be able to attach some teeth low enough down on the rim to be effective and still use the current chassis.

I'm really enjoying coming up with ideas for bots and then building them, if they fall apart/fail spectacularly it just means I get to redesign/rebuild them Very Happy

Post Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 pm 
evil_steve

It's been too hot here recently to do anything major, but I've been slowly working on upgrading the existing antweights as well as building a new one. On Picobyte I've resoldered and "battle hardened" (basically, used a heap of hotmelt glue) the power and brushless motor wiring, as well as adjusting how the shell attaches to the motor, which means it spins up a lot more smoothly, and doesn't turn off randomly. Unfortunately, it also exposes a flaw in the brushless motor mounting.
https://youtu.be/zJu_Z9V2fuc
I wasn't originally going to glue it together but I couldn't initially find the screws I needed for my original design. I've got some on order now and they should be here this week, so hopefully they work. I should probably also balance the shell better.
My son and I have designed a new lifter arm for The Force which will hopefully be more effective at both getting under other bots and lifting them up.

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:33 pm 
evil_steve

Unfortunately I didn't have as much time as I hoped to build stuff over the silly season, but I've managed to do a few things here and there.

Firstly, a new bot. My 3yo really wanted me to build him one too, so I've put together a flipper/hammer (well, not really as the servo doesn't have the speed, but don't tell him that!) bot that he's dubbed "Flipper Guy". It's light and a bit flimsy in parts, but he loves it.

My elder son's bot The Force now sports a smaller chassis and a new lifting arm, the latter of which I'm not entirely happy with but we'll see how it goes.

Picobyte now has a much sturdier attachment for the brushless motor and a better balanced shell, and I'm slowly shortening the wiring to save space/weight. However it now spins up so well that I'm reluctant to do anything more with it until I manage build a polycarbonate enclosed arena.

This is our practice arena - thrown together from stuff we had lying around but it does the job for now!

And here's my youngest driving his bot for the first time. I haven't decided yet whether building a 3yo a combat robot counts as good parenting or not, but it's certainly amusing.

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:57 pm 
Don
Experienced Roboteer

great looking ants

Post Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:57 pm