53%  [ 8 ]
Yes, 15Kg sounds better, There are good reasons to change
46%
 46%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 15

Author    Thread
andrew

for most i dont think having to rebuild eveyrthing would be needed

just use up the weigh in extra armour/another two drives/more weopon weight/grinder gearbox guard/whatever

if it goes through i have many ideas which i can use the weight for which include maybe a self righter, heavier weopon disc, some steel for when i face a spinner etc

same with others, i think they could use it to improve some stuff, cobra will prob add just more steel knowing glen, etc etc

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
for most i dont think having to rebuild eveyrthing would be needed

You sure about that? Example: Look at Jolt... Nick can now add 1KG to Jolt's weapon, He now has to beef the whole chassis up to 10mm Aluminium just to stop it from buckling the chassis on the first hit. His TWR15's barely survive 13.6kg, he now has to go Bigger motors and fit them somewhere...

It's not just a simple case of "Lets just add some more armour and another battery". For Jolt, to add another battery means rebuild the whole thing...

I just dumped a rant on the US forums... http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=THERFL&nav=messages&prettyurl=%2FTHERFL%2Fmessages

That's my anger management for the day Laughing

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:02 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Couple of thoughts.

If the 15KG comes in in the US and we wont the Americans to come here we really have to follow them. I for one would like to see a few visitors to our events. Cool

The Poms wouldn’t budge on the 13.6 so I don’t see them shifting now. If they don’t conform it’s a wast of time and it only makes the gap wider that makes it worse. Mad

It’s not a change that brings anyone into line with anyone else apart from BBIQ and apparently they have nothing to do with anyone else anyhow. It’s just to tidy up some numbers. Confused

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:36 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

In my opinion we should stick with 13.6

15 is just too much for a feather that extra weight will = too many $$$ to stay competitive.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:59 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by CELL DAMAGE!:
In my opinion we should stick with 13.6

15 is just too much for a feather that extra weight will = too many $$$ to stay competitive.

So is that 1.4kg of Titanium or 1.4kg of dumpster diving steel?

No one is saying you must increase in weight. Avenger was only 11.5kg at the Ideas Festival. By some logic I have heard I lost because I was 2kg underweight, not because the motors fell off the gear boxes.

I think we need a poll just so we can get a clearer idea of wether we think its a good idea or not.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:14 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

OK, Poll Added. Vote away guys Smile

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

I agree with your post Brett, if the rest of the world goes 15Kg we should otherwise leave it 13.6Kg.
I would like to see everyone using the same weights. So how do I vote? Confused

Guess deep down a little more weight to build a better bot wins out. Smile

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:24 pm 
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

I don't think we should count on anyone coming out here for an event any time soon. We can consider a couple of us possibly going there with our bots, so in that scenario it might be good to have standardise. Basically I think the Poms and Euros should adopt the Us measurements. As annoyings as imperial measurements are, it is easier to build up, than it is to build down.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:35 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Guess deep down a little more weight to build a better bot wins out.

That's something I'd never hear from you Gary. I don't think weight governs how "better" you can build a robot. If you look at things on a scaleable level, it doesn't matter what weigh class you choose, you can only build so much Razz

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:47 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i vote to change if it makes things better.
If it dosent make any difference then don't bother.

Theres no option for that in the vote.

Whats the 25 word rundown on the current state of play?

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Windhammer

i vote to make the change to 15kg simply because one of my bots is overwieght and its good to keep up with the rest of the world.
jus my 2c Wink

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:45 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thank god at least aaron sees some logic in it.

for the sake of the convinience of having everyone on the same level (and as gary says theres no point changing it unless EVERYONE on the planet moves to that weight as well, and lets face it there is ZERO % chance there going to budge on the issue) its just ending up a giant inconvinience.

it might seem like its fine to stick a 1.6kg heavier disk on orbit, but i can almost guarantee you that if you did that you would blow an EV out, and same with cobra with its dewalts, and same with most robots im sure. even if that isnt the case.. i cant see the need to make such a massive change (which it is imho) for such a marginal gain.

why do the americans even give a sh^t anyway... dont they still use imperial for everything else..

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

If it means that I can go and compete in the UK or we can have UK bots here without needing to build an entirly new robot to do so then it makes sense to me. That is the whole issue of the weight change. Has anyone read the FRA rules for international competitors? I have and they suck.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Has anyone read the FRA rules for international competitors? I have and they suck

well then thats the UKs problem. not ours. dont screw up everything we have at the moment for it.

and on another note i dont think ive ever heard anyone on an american forum whine about having to rip weight off to go the UK..

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:16 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

And also... it's barely ok for new people to make an underweight wedge on the cheap and do ok (roadkill was only 7kg). At 15kg a FBS or any large spinner would completly own it... this would simply discourage new people... Drill drives "just" work with 13.6kg... any more and a bot with two of them would smoke... To be honest if it went to 15kg i'd probably loose interest in the sport... I simply wouldn't be able to throw something together that would be cheap to build and reasonably successful.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:20 pm