www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Zenghiaro - Slightly Evil Robotics - SA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
evil_steve

Huh, I tried looking on Hobbyking but only found ones with two male and one female, for running battery packs in parallel.

Your idea for junctions using ring terminals sounds a good way of sidestepping my dodgy soldering. Do you make your own or purchase them?

Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:42 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Ring terminals are probably the most reliable type of connectors for bots; I can't recall ever having one fail in a match. You need to be really careful with the crimps and get a good quality crimper or the wire can sometimes pull out even when the crimp looks good.

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:17 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

You need the proper ratcheting crimper like this to do it well http://www.jaycar.com.au/Tools-%26-Soldering/Hand-Tools/Crimpers/Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Crimping-Tool-For-Insulated-Terminals/p/TH1829

But you can also just solder the ring terminal where the wire goes in which is always a good bit of insurance.

As for the junction just use a button head bolt with washers + nyloc nut then put some plastic loom tube (looks like hard vacuum cleaner hose thats slit down the middle, can buy it at supercheap) over it and tape the lot up.

Depends on the design you can integrate the bolt into a plastic part inside the robot so you can unbolt the wiring to get components in and out easier Smile I can dig up a pic if you want.

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
evil_steve

Think I've got the idea but a pic would be great thanks, to make sure I haven't misunderstood.

Post Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:39 pm 
evil_steve

The last couple of weeks have been crazy busy, especially work, so I've only been slowly pottering away at robot stuff. I've started on the aluminium rhs pieces that will hold the drive motors.

The bearing will sit in HDPE uprights and is to support the drill shaft, I'm probably going to just use the Bunnings red wheels (and aim for self righting ability with my lifting arms rather than going for invertability), so I won't be able to support them on the other side.

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:18 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

looking nice

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ondray

I see you're going 4WD, how do you reckon you're going to go weight wise?

I was looking at 4WD for mine but every time I done the maths it kept scraping over and I'd rather have some weight to play with rather than be drilling 'speed holes' everywhere at the end.

Post Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:26 pm 
evil_steve

@ Valen - Thanks, after a couple of weeks not really able to do much it's nice to see some progress again.

@ Ondray - My extremely rough maths (rounding up a lot, and guesstimating some bits) is 11kg sans lifting arms, which now I've decided on wheel size I should probably work on some more. I'm expecting the weight gremlins to do their usual work but I do have a couple of other options (smaller battery, 6mm HDPE top armour) before resorting to speed holes.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:05 am 
evil_steve

Very rough pretend-o-bot, mostly to be sure that all the internal parts will fit on the base piece of cutting board (which will be 30cm wide by 35cm long).

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:56 pm 
Cpnwolfe

banana for scale

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:45 am 
evil_steve

Zenghiaro has progressed to the drivable chassis stage!

My youngest was quite excited by this.

And here it is with the lifting motors plonked into place. Ignore the skewiff top bolts on the drive mounts - the aren't the correct ones, and I was also having issues with the nuts in the motor can mounts angling themselves wrong due to the magnet rings.

As it is above it weighs a hair under 7kg. Still to do:
-> bearing mounts to better support the drill motor shafts
-> side, front, back and top armour
-> lifting motor mounts
-> lifting arms
-> (probably) realise it's overweight and start reducing parts/drilling speed holes

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:40 pm 
Cpnwolfe

looks great there mate!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWeJ4OrAcsmjKir9L4JNg

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeInstigation/

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:36 pm 
evil_steve

@ Cpnwolfe - thanks!

Work's been insanely busy again so I've only been working on Zenghiaro here and there.

I drilled out the bearing mounts using a 30mm forstner bit and a 28mm hole saw. I also learnt the hard way that using the forstner bit first is a good idea, otherwise it's hard to centre!

The side rails in place. I'm using M6 bolts and barrel nuts to hold this together. I still haven't got the proper bolts for the drive motor mounts - I only ordered them last night after I worked out what I'll need for the weapon motor mounts.

The angled back armour in place. I might end up recutting this as it's dodgier even than my usual standards, but I'll work around it for now.

Would you trust a doctor that asks you for your busted power tools? Apparently my patients do, and I'm starting to get a collection. The motors seem fine, it's just the batteries/chargers that suck. The NiCads up the top came with a charger, I tried using it and after 5 minutes it got too hot to touch!

Post Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:50 pm 
evil_steve

Well, I've booked our flights and hotel in Sydney (decided on the Shangri-La, which is about the same distance from the venue as the Four Seasons (so hopefully walkable) but a little cheaper) so Owen and I are definitely going to Vivid. Better do some more on the robot!

The lifting motor mounts are done, just need to drill out the holes for the bearings that support the ends of the shafts. I've got the proper screws for the drive motor mounts now as well.

The one issue I've had with the 3D printed drill motor mounts is the nuts being pulled out of alignment by the magnet on the motor, making it a pain in the ass to screw into them once the motor is in position.

My solution: hot melt glue (as always). In this situation it's not load bearing (for a change), it's just to hold the nut in position until it captures the screw.
(This photos is also where I realised that that my phone camera is rather a lot better at focusing on close-ups than my old Canon Powershot)

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:19 pm 
evil_steve

Works still insanely busy but I've found some time to get to the shed.

Here's one of the lifting motor shaft supports. Fortunately one of the random drill bits in my grandfather's box of old woodworking stuff was just the right size to press fit the 1/4" bearings.

And here's the first of the lifting arms. I managed to get some 1/4" 6061-T6 aluminium plate - that stuff's a lot harder than I'm used to working with! In making this arm I managed to snap two drill bits and one jigsaw blade, and wreck the teeth on another blade (good thing I bought 2x 5 packs of metal blades). I've tried using a couple of lubricants for the cuts, WD40 works well but immediately wipes out the marker lines showing me where to cut, Ballistol seems to work ok though.
Owen's very excited for Vivid, he insisted I take/post a photo of him with the bot.

Here's the lifting arm in action.

Last edited by evil_steve on Sun May 29, 2016 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu May 05, 2016 8:16 pm