www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Micro Magnum, Team Magnum, NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Author    Thread
MoonSet416

Well...
After some thoughts, I decided to bring the wheels back to the inner position because I am not going to have bearings on the side armor, and under this situation wheels with a wide wheelbase can cause the shaft to bend, especially when the drum hits something.

Post Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:12 pm 
MoonSet416

Well I'm back from my final exams hahahahaha...

I did a few things to the model, one of them being adding screw holes to the side panels to make the horizontal connection stronger, but I ran into a problem while doing that.

[img]http://imgur.com/gDLW1W6[/img]

As you can see here, The front section of the side panels has a lot of available space for the screw holes, but for the rear section, especially around the rear wheel, I couldn't put screw holes there cuz the screws going through will interfere with the wheels.

Anyone have any idea how to reinforce the rear portion?

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:04 pm 
MoonSet416

Sorry if I did not explain how the reinforcement screws work:

Each single screw is supposed to first go through the holes on the side armor (outer side panel), then through an aluminium tube and finally through the inner side panel.

BTW feel free to give suggestions regard the method of reinforcing itself, this is by no means final design and I know I'm a newbie XD.

Post Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

That link doesnt work😱

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:00 am 
MoonSet416

Haha, I did expect that to come. So... any ideas how I can reinforce the side panels?

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:19 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Those screw holes look small - what size are they? Everyone using your general design has the same problem around the rear wheels. The main ways around are 1) make the armour from thicker Bisalloy, 2) use much larger screws and more of them where possible, 3) square up the back corners and weld them.

All those options have drawbacks - since you have four wheel drive, I would go for option 3 because its the strongest and the bot doesn't need exposed wheels as much as a 2WD bot.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:30 am 
evil_steve

You should be able to fit 2 supports vertically in the middle section, basically mirroring what you've got in front of the bulkhead. Depending on the thickness/type of the bolts, that could be enough. I've done something similar in Zenghiaro with hardened M6 rod and less supports, but that is a sportsman.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:13 pm 
Dylon

with this design the best armour is to learn to drive properly.
Any spinner that hits your side is going to make your time not very fun. keep bot always facing forward and just make the outer panels non structural and purely for wheel protection for the times you get the driving wrong. IE thick chunk of soft-ish plastic that tears rather then shatters, will survive a few hits then easy and cheap to replace

Barton Robotics Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/BartonRobotics

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:35 pm 
MoonSet416

Hey guys a lot of thanks for all the ideas.

As for now I guess I will try to square up the rear part and have an actual rear armor panel cuz that was actually the original design.

The screws are m6, and I think I will keep them for now just to hold the side panels in place.

I think the current thickness (5mm hardox) of the side panels will be ok for most featherweights, and since at the current state the bot is a bit underweight I might be able to beef it up even more.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm 
MoonSet416

Design update:

Squared the rear part up a little bit and added an actual rear armor panel. This change adds surprisingly small amount of weight to the design.

http://imgur.com/sEX6WLy

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:02 pm 
pilleya

If you have spare weight I would try and fit a larger weapon motor into the design.

Also the thickness of the armour isn't the only consideration. You should think about trying to maximise the strength in the corners of the robot, as that is the location were damage can most occur.

Are you planning to weld the rear panel on?

Also if you have your sights set on M6, see if you can get some high grade countersunk M6 bolts rather then typical black oxide or zinc coated ones.

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:36 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Love the design- will it have a roof? Also the hinged wedge at the front should work great ⚙

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:41 pm 
pilleya

On the topic of the hinged wedge, how are you planning to manufacture that, it looks like it is a single piece.

I don't think it is worth putting a large amount of time/money having it machined considering that it will be basically useless against a robot that has weight on its wedgelets. If anything they might end up hindering you, and stopping you from being able to get a good bite.

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:43 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

i reckon that hinged wedge will work great-it will run along the floor with gravity holding it down to outwedge opponents- thats what pickasso has to run under otherbots - under its weapon so when it fires its pick -the other bots weight stops it from flipping backwards- should be a win😎

Just leave room for cords in your drawing otherwise it will be very tight in there🤖

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 am 
MoonSet416

Yeah a larger motor will always be great, any suggestions on which motors I should be looking for? (btw the motor now is a 4270, I might be able to squeeze a longer one in there, but in terms a diameter it's pretty much as big as it can get.)

Ah the panel junctions... Well I think I will use screws cuz welding the aluminium rear panel onto the steel side plates will be hard to do. I'm thinking about using aluminium blocks at the junctions for the screws to go through, what do you guys think of that?

Yep it will be having a roof, I did not add it earlier cuz lots of dimensions were not fixed yet and leaving it until everything has settled means fewer dimensions to change when I want to alter the design of the chassis.

Well, I guess I will be welding several steel plates together to make the wedge. The wedge was designed to have most of its weight in front of the hinge, but I am not sure at all if it is heavy enough. Any ideas on approximately how heavy it should be?

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 am