www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

House Robot

Author    Thread
Windhammer

House Robot

hi

ok i know there is ref bot but is there a proper house robot? is someone planning to build one. because i think it could make the sport more entertianing (spelling) and make it more popular.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:24 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

NO

refbot is bad enough, in regards to the way it gets in the way mid battle and blocks the cameras view, hopefully itll get a little hole or something it can recess into.

house robots would pretty well suck for marayong i reckon. itll take up more valuble arena real estate and get in the way, they arent needed to make the fights more exciting because they already are.

and lastly the thing is going to need maintenance of some kind, itll probably bear the brunt of a few well aimed attacks and i dont think its to fair on jeff to unload another robot of on him.

quote:
because i think it could make the sport more entertianing (spelling) and make it more popular.

dude, your logic just confuses me.

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The house robots in Robot Wars were only popular because they didnt have to comply with the rules.

The could be bigger, meaner, carry multiple weapons with no weight limits, could spend weight on cosmetic armour to make them look funky and themed, and thus could easily do a lot of damage to a competitors bot.

Then the occasional boring match could be spiced up for TV by having the house robot totally demolish the offending boring bot.

The problem is that such helpless slaughter quickly becomes boring even to the average joe.. Close, Intense competition is what gets hearts pumping, not one side wiping the floor with the other.. So even if we had someone willing to build and maintain one, I dont think they're a good idea for serious sport in the long term..

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

House Robots are Ghey.......... Twisted Evil

Post Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:28 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

yea yea yea what brett said Laughing

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:31 am 
Cognisant

Hazards were interesting though, even when weapons failed the hazards kept the fight going and shunting someone into the pit seemed a nice decisive way to finish them off.

As a hazard themselves the house bots were useful, keeping competitors from becoming stuck in the arena's corners and perhaps for discreetly sweeping debris out of the way.

But nobody wants the house bots to steal the show, unless the competitors ganged up on one for lulz, that would be cool to see, I suppose having three or four beetle weights team up against a feather weight would be just as interesting to see.

Post Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 am