www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

QLD arena
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
chris

QLD arena

continue all discussion from the big guns thread in here seeing as we are have stopped talking about "big guns" in particular

Post Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:02 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

calling all Queenslanders...

The polycarb sheeting order for the new arena at "sidetracked" is being placed in the next 1 to 3 weeks...
$200 per sheet for 6mm is a damn good price (even if it then must be freighted to Toowoomba...)
I was fully intending to pay for as much of the arena myself (with Marto and family putting up the concrete panels for the walls)... but - I'm putting down the concrete within the next 3 weeks - which means that at the moment I can't personally pick-up the cost of the polycarb sheeting .

I'm not getting a response from many QLD companies that claim to sell poly sheets, so to get a good price such as this the polycarb will probably come from interstate.

If anyone can help financially please let me know (here or by email). Reguardless of whether or not we order with the "sidetracked" order, the Toowoomba arena will be operational in time for the Xmas holidays... if anyone would like it ready sooner, I will need some financial help. Sad

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:14 am 
chris

how many sheets will we need cause I was thinking that each member of the queensland club could put in between $20 and $40 to support the construction of the arena and any ongoing maintanance costs that might be involved. Of course before we start an arena fund there is the question of how much the arena will cost and I will leave that up to everyone else to work that out Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:33 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I can put in about half if necessary. Anyone else able to help pay for the sheet?

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:49 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I'll be able to help. I decided I don't need a new trombone till next year, robots are more important.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Well lets start getting some Dollar values here.

I will donate $50 for a start.

I think there should also be a small entry charge when this arena is up and running to help maintain it and pay for any power, supplies, equipment used.

TOTAL = $50
GOAL = $250 ($200 for sheet + $50 for postage)

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:59 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

BTW we aren't going to use the concrete anymore too heavy and bulky. Just going to make a steel frame with wire mesh on it then cover the mesh in two layers of 12mm ply.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:10 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

We, the roboteers who are going to use the arena, should definately contirbute money to the owner. I am not in a position to donate a large amount right now. I have just bought up quite a few parts for a complete rebuild of Marauder.

Andrew Aidulis, after much prompting, agreed to accept a $10 per robot per event to go a small way to help in the enormous amount of effort he, and his crew, has already put in. Andrew has built an arena bought a tarp to cover the pit area and put down a large concrete slab.

Would a smaller amount of money, like the amount Andrew receives, coming in at each event be of use to you? I realise that you have received a fantastic offer from Brett right now and to take advantage of it you need to come up with a big wad of cash imediately.

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:48 am 
chris

$10 per event is good i think

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:52 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks guys.

I really don't mind paying for the concrete myself (approx. $500 for 3 cubic meters + $150 for gravel underlay & compaction of underlay).

With Marto (and family) providing the side/wall protection - which we could move to another arena if needed, the only other major cost is the polycarb sheet.

The idea is to have 2 viewing/bot control areas inside the shed. The origional idea was to get one sheet of poly and cut it in half - length ways. This will give us 2 screens approx. 2.4m long each.
This means the cost will be the $200 for the sheet plus freight from Melbourne, at a guess $30 to $80.

Pits will be in a seperate shed with benches, power, water and some tools available... there is also toilets, off-street parking, a shop within 5 minutes walk and camping space if needed (and a local pub too). Power, water, etc costs really don't matter so I don't need (nor want) $$'s for such...
If at some point a bot "lets go" big time and damages the arena, maybe some help to fix it would be o.k. but I really don't require some fee for people to use the arena.

(Look at it this way - this is the first RC sport I've been involved with that doesn't require me to drive to Brisbane every few weeks. As a result of this, I'll have enough in my "hobby budget" to maintain the arena and build/maintain my bots)

The Toowoomba arena (or "House of Carnage" as I've been calling it) will be open for use 8am to 8pm,7 days to anyone who wants it. The sooner it is built, the sooner we can all do full throttle testing, etc.

So, just some help with the polycarb would be great guys Smile

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:35 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm broke after buying an IBC, but give me a few weeks and I'll chip in $50+

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:00 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Can anyone put up the cash ATM for the polycarb and get paid back over time when we hold some events?

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:05 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I cant Afford to contribute at the moment and any spare i have will be used over time to up grade our arena and hopefully we can make transportable pannels which can be taken to other sites

Post Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:50 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I'll do it. I won't be able to fit a sheet that size in my little car, but I can pay for it.
I better get a good spot at your comps to stick my camera.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

I was going to mention this today, but you beat me to it...

quote:
Originally posted by Totaly_Recycled:
I cant Afford to contribute at the moment and any spare i have will be used over time to up grade our arena

No worries. It would be great to see multiple arenas in QLD... makes me think of "round robin" style comps across various venues throughout the year... Smile

quote:
I'll do it. I won't be able to fit a sheet that size in my little car, but I can pay for it.
I better get a good spot at your comps to stick my camera.

Thanks VERY much kkeerroo. Your camera will have choice of any spot at the comps. Very Happy Can you guys organise details with Spockie-tech (about payment and delivery) ? or do you want me to do it ?

Thanks again guys, the $$ difference between getting in on the "sidetracked" deal and missing the deal is about $150 (not counting delivery).... I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE REIMBURSED.

Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:17 am