www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Glitch - Demon Designs

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Glitch - Demon Designs

Hello Botlandia,

I'm posting most of the recent updates at https://www.facebook.com/DemonRobots/ so follow there if you are on the foozbooks. If not then here is a build report!

I took last year off to finish a bunch of long term projects, namely a CNC mill and CNC plasma cutter, not they are operational robot building can begin again.

The first cad - Generic overhead sawbot thing. But with lots of plasma and cnc work for the sake of it of course.

First part is the saw gearbox. Its a stock ozito grinder inside a fatter CNC shell (really nicely made that grinder actually).

All the CNC parts done in a weekend.

The motor had its shaft replaced with titanium - honestly didnt come out perfect so i would probably just chop off the stock grinder shaft and adapt it to the stock brushless shaft next time

Chassis time - he is made of a 3mm mild steel base and interior parts, the rest is a mix of 3, 4 and 5mm hardox 500 tig welded together.

Saw arm time. I went full yuppie on this part and CNC fishmouthed the ends of the tube just to see if it could be done, It works really nice haha. A little too much effort though.

The hub is a 30mm bit of rod with 6mm holes. Looks massive but not very heavy. An 06b sprocket bolts to it and there are IGLIDUR polymer bushes in each end.

Making fixtures for the CNC can get time consuming and pricey if done in aluminium. So after a tip off on a cnc group, i tried this "ecodeck". A mix of HDPE and bamboo. it works really well to be honest, though too brittle to use in a robot. Here is the sprocket being bored and drilled.

Last bit of CNC work is on the banebots P60s. There is a rebate in the back of the motor plate for weight savings - but if upgrading to brushless motors you can't really use the other two bolts, so i made my own motor plates as well as spacers to hold the gearbox.

Most of the weldments together. The three holes on the mounting tabs are for rivet on nuts, much more convinient than welding actual nuts underneath.

Plasma'd and bent up a 3mm steel lid. A 3mm steel piece bolts on the back as a mount, with rivet nuts on both sides.

Drives with tiny outrunners in - weight of the drive setup is 330g per side! The arm gearbox is three drill stages in a custom case - retaining the stock drill clutch but with a heavier custom wound spring so it can torque limit.

Whoops i accidentally the robot. Got carried away and wired it all up in a night Razz But the controllers velcro and VHB tape to aluminium angle bracket. There is a lot of 3d printed polycarbonate cable management in there together with the rx mount and link mounts. love that stuff.

More plasma - 5mm hardox for the gnashers.

Some lil fins. I figure they might deflect some things trying to hit the chain from the back. And of course they give him a nice super villain look!

Just about done minus some finishing touches. Chomp chomp.

Videos impending!

Last edited by Glen on Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 am; edited 3 times in total

Post Mon May 22, 2017 10:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

Hello massive pictures, i will fix this tommorow (sorry!)

Post Mon May 22, 2017 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chunkulator

This looks absolutely awesome. Two questions:
1. Where do the free hats come out?
2. Why do you have an army of little bottle manikin things next to your CNC mill? Is this all part of the evil plan?

Post Tue May 23, 2017 7:12 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Looking damn fine🤖

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 am