www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

New Hotness - team ARES

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

New Hotness - team ARES

New Hotness is the renamed Minotaur. It's my tongue-in-cheek bot made out of spares and old bots, prefereably with weird ideas and probably never twice the same. Look for junkyard bits, trophies off other opponents and dodgy construction. Its not designed to win, but its losses should be entertaining.

To start with, I am taking the back section of Minotaur, the EV from the first Basilisk and some spare aluminium to make a sawbot. No idea about the orientation yet, that will evolve as the parts get pushed around on the bench.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:43 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

no offence to andrew but that sounds like scrap to me Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:59 pm 
andrew

Thats alright. scrap is retired so feel free to steal the idea's and design if u wish.

Nick, u dont need to waste a ev warrior on a saw bot. U have the same weopon motor i had so just bolt a blade to it and crank it up to 24 volts. Of even better implement a friction drive or belt drive system so teh motor isnt directly driving it and u could make it kinetic weopon interchangable with a disc.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:07 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Scrap had a design Shocked

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:10 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol andrew, its supposed to be a whacked together fun bot and you think its supposed to be some form of advanced scrap Very Happy

even more funny is you think friction drive is the best form of drive!!?!?! pardon me while i change my parts from laughter..

Post Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I guess I did pinch a few concepts from Andrew on this bot Smile I just got tired of cleaning welds and measuring things carefully. I have an EV with nothing to do and its the flattest big motor I have. The alternative is fixing that Bosch GPA and making a vertical saw that keeps on going (too bad I can't shift the bolt on the end of the shaft!)

The bad news is that NPC screwed me over and sent parts that don't fit! They changed some dimensions on the new bits and then shipped some old stuff as well - end result is that I can't rebuild either gearbox. I'm totally over it and will use something (anything) else in the next bot.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:02 am 
andrew

thats not good. Get stuck into them and get those gears dude. They should have done the right thing by you. Get cranky and make some noise until u get the correct parts.

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:42 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm not good. so i guess they changed the dimensions on the gears? if so get bitchin for some new cases!

(and stick a pair of drill motors in the old mild steel geared ones Very Happy )

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They changed a bearing for a bigger,stronger one. That's a good thing but then they didn't ship the right back covers that hold the bearing and also left out 2 bearings and two gears. Pretty amazing...

I did a few sketches and just maybe I can lash up the same shape chassis with twice the hight and fit in two scooter motors. It might be a bit porky and end up as a light weight - who knows? As a LW, I could fit in that Bosch GPA motor, assuming I can get the fan off the end of it!

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:19 am 
Waddy the phoenix

*ruffels through his tools and finds a chicping hammer* nope no good *throws chipping hammer**ruffels through his tools and finds a jewlers hammer* definatly not *ruffels through his tools and finds a claw hammer* hmmm getting closer *ruffels through his tools and finds a ball pein hammer* close but no cigar *ruffels through his tools and finds a sledge hammer* ahhh perfect *Takes the sledge hammer to the fan but finds it too strong* thats it this meens war *grabs nicks welding torch thingy and torches the fan to bitz* ahhh much better

^an instruction manual for getting fans off motors Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:36 pm