www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars II - The Wreckoning - 18 & 19 December 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

My now 13.6 kg bot will be 100% complete for rbw2 so put me down for a reserve untill i send some pics PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Hi Everyone.. nice response so far.. Very Happy

Promotion plans are still being finalised (or started for that matter), since I only got the go-ahead the day I announced it to you, I'm thinking maybe an ad in Silicon Chip, possibly some of the university magazines.. things like that. Also, we will be handing out flyers at the hobby show which has a reported attendance in excess of 5000 people, plus putting up signs at SideTracked and other areas..

If anyone has any cost-effective promotional ideas. feel free to let me know about them.. I'll be working on a nice full color flyer and some business-sized cards to distribute soon..

Chrisjon - How is it the worst time of year for people with Jobs ? Confused

You cant please everyone all of the time, It had to be in school holidays, but not during the christmas/NYE break, but not too late in jan, since a lot of poeple are away on holidays then, but not during any other major event that might push up airfares and things, etc etc.. besides, most businesses are shutting down about that time, and self-employed peoples busy times vary from industry to industry, so I cant cater for you all.. Rolling Eyes. besides, when are you ever *not* busy Chrisjon ?? If you cant make the time on a weekend, I'm sorry about that, everyone else seems happy with the date.

If it all goes well, I'll aim to do another one mid-year now that we will have a stand-alone arena that doesnt rely on the dodgem arena that suddenly vanished on us last time..

The existing safety rules are posted on the Robowars site at http://www.robowars.org/docs/robowars-rules.htm . I will be updating them soon with any relevant changes from the most recent RFL rules at http://www.botleague.com/2004-nationals-rules.asp , but I dont think there are any major changes in there.

IBC's arent mandatory, but some form of failsafe's is. (I knew about you last event Glen, but Screwy didnt have an active weapon and as you noticed, I had a lot of other things to worry about then.. Wink This year I'll be delegating a lot more jobs to helpers so I dont have to run around biting peoples heads off..).

Tech Inspection and weigh in will be on Saturday morning (opening time will be around 9/10am), and competitors will be weighed again on the way into the arena by the judges, so dont plan on trying the "weigh in with these batteries, but fight with those ones" trick. This is a serious competition, with $500 up for grabs, any cheats will be disqualified.

Visible Power lights and some form of safety disconnect is essential (but we do NOT require a removeable link). as long as you can visibly completely shut down the bot in a safe manner with it being unlikely that it will be accidentally activated again we're happy.

I'll check with Sidetracked, but I seriously doubt that ICE motors will be allowed.. fire hazards, refuelling in the pits and all that make it too dangerous at the moment.

The floor will be made of painted Yellowtongue wood. Yes, it will probably get chopped up a bit in a few fights, but we plan on having a can of fast-set car-bog to quickly repair and repaint any major damage. If it proves to be a problem this event, we will look at adding a steel plating to it after this event.

There will be no transmitter impound, but you will be required to register the frequencies you want to use with your entry form (they will be coming soon). The Robowars Website frequency table will be updated and any teams with a clash will be notified and should be resolved prior to the event.

The Pits will probably be split into 2 areas. The Pit area we had last time and the"Corporate Room" at Sidetracked, which will give us double the space. Note that the corporate room is carpeted, so if you plan on being messy (unless we put plastic down) then say so and we will assign your pit space to the other area.

There will most likely be a small ($5 or $10) general admission fee to Sidetracked this time around. , since the Arena will be setup in an open area that will be available for viewing to all patrons. This entry fee will be deductible from any SideTracked activity you may wish to indulge in, so if you came just to watch the bots, you can also use your entry ticket to get an equivalent discount on a Go Kart ride or Laserforce game..

Each Bot entered will have an entry fee of $20 which will include admission for the *Driver* only. Additional team members will have to pay the general admission fee (but remember it counts towards a ride).

I'll measure up the pits and see how much space we have, but I dont see any reason for anyone other than drivers or mechanics to be present in the pits. Apart from the room issue, it would be better safety-wise to only have people who are reasonably aware of the dangers of combat robots (mum and sis probably arent) wandering around the saw blades and so on, and keeping the "onlookers" out of the pits out will make your tools and equipment safer as well.

If you want to bring your whole family and friends along, they can relax in the canteen, so please only ask for pit-passes for people who *need* to be in there.

Any other questions ?

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

So if i turn up with one bot and a parent how much would it cost?

$20 will cover me and then 10 or 20 for the parent?

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:37 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The general admission fee has yet to be confirmed, but will probably be more like $5 or $10.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds good to me. good idea with the reweighing on the way to the arena.

is it possible to get rough dimensions of the arena in width lenght? have to start plotting tactics against everyone soon Razz.

ah that good you knew about screwy then lol. but hey then again you could put your foot in front of the thing at full speed and feel but a cool breeze.. maybe it might make an appearance again Shocked

btw if you need someone to do any extra jobs ill most likely be open to help. cobra doesnt give me to many headaches come event day Smile

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:54 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, the reweigh idea is good, does any one remember SCrap suddenly having it's wedge on the second day??? Twisted Evil I didn't forget Welcher!

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:07 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

No more hideing batterys in the box tube frame Cool

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol yeah i noticed that too, but he got his back when his weapon motor was subject to high energy justice Very Happy

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:22 pm 
andrew

well at least i didnt break down, well until later anyway's.

I put it on and u guys did nothing so i feel no guilt.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:35 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

I'll enter one definite vapor bot and one Vapor Vapor bot.
(If I have the time to complete it)
And before any one asks I will only drive one Cool

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well I know I can sleep at night knowing I didn't have to add any extra over weight features to my bot to win battles. What about you Welcher?

Anyway, Brett, moderate these posts if you think they are OT. I'm itching to head to RW2! Lets just hope i have the parts to build the mew machine in the next 3 weeks!

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:55 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Well, lets try and keep the general chatter down if its not related to RoboWars II shall we ? a message or two is ok..

For those wondering what the Arena is going to look like, here's the plan so far.

Its nearly 6 meters from one flat side to its opposite side. (5.966 actually)

Still got some more detail to add to it, but you get the idea I hope.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:24 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Looks cool Brett, Enter the Octagon

Sounds like its time to take Pinscher to the botcave for major augmentations.
Count me in and will confirm its bigger badder brother lightweight soonish.

I think Pinschers going to like its new home.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:08 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

6 metres across? Shocked That's almost a whole Melbourne surburb Laughing I sure am glad I bought those CP3600 cells...

Seriously, that looks like an excellent arena Brett.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:05 am 
mytqik

I think the area is an excellent shape/size. we can get plenty of people around it, without obstructing anyone's view.

It is also a clever use of materials. each side is 2472mm long, so you can make each panel out of one piece of lexan without cutting. It would also mean that if the joints at the corner of the panels were designed to be modular, you could assemble it into a smaller square area for displays like the model engineers show.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:38 am