www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars II - The Wreckoning - 18 & 19 December 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Author    Thread
colin

wow looks great! are you planning on letting bot builders have access the day before?...I'm sure alot of people will be interested to see how there radios go.

Also will the lower panel be see-through? Worst thing arena wise last time was that the bots always ended up against the wall...

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:58 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Looking at the design i do not think there will be a problem if you robot is up against the wall right in front of you as you should be able to see if fine by just looking down close to the lexan. Anywhere else in the area there will be nothing to block your veiw, so it should be all good Smile

Also the bottom bit has to take most of the hits, and if say a spinner did lose part of a blade it is most likely going to hit low down (unless it is a vert spinner, then who knows!) and the bottom bit can be nice and strong to protect people.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:21 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Bottom panels are 3mm thick stel checker plate (as the were at the last RoboWars). we will also be likely putting some MDF or coated Chipboard againt them on the inside to slow down any nasty blades before they hit the steel, since I'm not certain that even 3mm steel will stop the really powerful spinners from penetrating.

Yes. visibility is a bit of a problem if the bots happen to be right up against your wall, but I cant see any easy way of making the lower panels transparent and still keeping it safe for the spectators just yet. If we went to inch thick lexan maybe, but saws can still cut through lexan easily.

I may consider a bump-guard set slightly inside from the wall, but that would decrease the available arena space noticeably, so I we may just have to live with it for now. There is a possibility that the floor will be slightly raised (maybe halfway up the steel panels) which will reduce the problem a bit.

We will probably be doing a trial assembly of the arena a week before the event and local builders can come down and practice then. for the interstaters, we plan on assembling the arena on friday, so if you arrive friday evening you can have a practice drive then I would hope.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

nice job there brett.

looks like your just arranging the old panels along with a few new ones of the same design up in the octagon shape, good idea.

and if we are putting it up outside it means no more of that carbon dust crap! w00t

best thing about it seems to be that radio reception should be great with lexan sides.

and finally visibility was a little bit of a bastard last time. seeing as most attacks where ramming people into the wall. maybe you could add a panel or two of lexan into the checkerplate steel?

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

So how do you think the radio reception will go i n a fully inclosed arena?

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well with lexan sides all round it should be better than the old robowars/metal mayhem/marayong arena for the radios sake.

still wont be as good as out in the open though.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:37 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

We did a robot royal in the Metal Mayhem arena today with the new 4ft steel inner front wall and we had no radio problems with the aerials from the transmitter barely inches from the frame.

I think this RoboWars event will be much better since the robots are better, the arena is better, lets just hope the carnage is better Twisted Evil

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:28 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

@ brett .....i wasnt complaining about the time ,i was just saying how difficult it is for the interstate working folk to do something like that 7 days before christmas, when school holidays finish in most states the last week in january ...not to mention school holidays in NSW start on the 22nd dec
ooops !!!!!

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:03 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

School holidays start on the 22nd of december ??
Wow, I thought they started way before that

Well, the date isnt set in stone yet. I might be able to move it a bit if its going to cause major problems for lots of people, but if schools not out until the 22nd, that would mean moving it well into January which I really dont want to do unless everyone else thinks its a good idea ?

Obviously Earlier isnt much good either, so.. how many people have suggestions for a better date. if you all suggest different dates, then I'll stay where it is, but if everyone agrees on a particular date as being better, then I'll *consider* it and see if its OK with Sidetracked.

I need a concerted answer in about 2 days though, since I'm doing up some flyers for distribution at the model exhibition next weekend, and once they're out, the date IS set in stone.

Comments anyone ?

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:20 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I finish in November, so it's no concern to me, but I always though NSW finished around the 12th.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:31 pm 
andrew

no. i will finish earlier i hope but worse comes to worse the last 1 r 2 days is no biggy to miss. I think the currWIlent date is fine. One question though. what date do u think it will finish and such.

thanks.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:05 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The plan is to have it all finished by Sunday night (probably late-ish though) unless theres a good reason for running it longer.. (say we get 64 entrants instead of 32 or something like that)..

I'll be doing some figuring on the schedules tomorrow at the builders meeting, but I hope to have enough time to fit a few "special" events in like a possible "King of the Hill" competition and maybe a few planned rumbles and the like, but the big unknown at this point is how many lightweights we are going to have to cater for in the scheduling.

Hopefully I'll have some clearer plans after tomorrow.

Post Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:11 pm 
andrew

Well i wont be coming to this event sorry fella's.

Its just too damn close to chrismas. My brother who has been in america for the last 18 months is coming home for 3 weeks over christmas and i believe i should be there for all of it and such. Since we are running these events more brett said eariler since we have a permanent arena sort of thing then i could come to any other one but definitely not one thats only 3-4 days before christmas.

I will be very jealous and hopefully thedvd of it or video footage will come out quicker than last years one. NO offence intended but just stating a fact there.

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:18 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

im happy where it is as andrew said the last few days are ridiculusly empty any way and tse is no more so i have 2 vapor bots entering (new idea light weight and TSNextGen feather but TSNextGen will definately be comeing)

Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:51 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

Well done brett, just catching up on posts.

Team NMO will be there with 2 feathers.

I like the look of the new areana.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:42 pm