www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

RoboWars II - The Wreckoning - 18 & 19 December 2004
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

RoboWars II - The Wreckoning - 18 & 19 December 2004

Calling all Robot Creators.. RoboWars II is Go !

After months of planning and negotiation, we have finally confirmed the next RoboWars Event at SideTracked.

December 18th and 19th 2004 !
(Saturday and Sunday)

Featuring a new free-standing Octagonal Arena (CAD will be posted Soon) design with all-sides viewing and a flat floor (gasp ! Laughing) and roof, this arena is the creation of a fully mobile, use-anywhere fully enclosed arena for RoboWars. This will be getting more frequenct use in the future !

A huge field of *32* featherweights is being catered for with a true double-elimination time-scheduled tree, so you will know exactly who you are fighting and when. This adds up to over *60* featherweight fights throughout the 2 days ! We will only be catering for 32 featherweights due to time limitations, so get your registrations in early.

The new 30lb (13.6Kg) weight standard will be in place, and a *zero* tolerance will be enforced. If you are on the limit, get your bot weighed at an Australia Post office and if it weighs 13.7, start lightening it !

Additional Time Slots will be scheduled for the new 60lb (27.27Kg) lightweight class towards the end of the second day to help provide the minimum cycle time between fights as the finals approach. NO spinners will be allowed in this class for now. Featherweight or not.

Other featherweights may combine to form lightweight multibot teams, but check first as the number of spaces available in the lightweight class will be limited and preference will be given to actual lightweights over multibots if available spaces are filled.

Vapour-Bot (not yet finished) advance registrations will be placed on a "reserve" list until the builder can submit evidence (video) of the completed bot driving and ready to compete. Reserve registrations may be denied if the full 32 bot field is filled with running bots before this evidence is received by the organisers.

Exact Scheduling is still being worked on, but approxiamte run times of 12pm-10pm on Saturday, and 12pm until 9pm on Sunday are likely. Each match will have a scheduled start time, and not being ready to fight at that time will mean an irrevocable forfeit. We are determined that this event will run on-time !

Updated Rules (again based on the RFL rules) will be posted to the RoboWars site shortly. If you are not already on the mailing list, add your name to it http://www.robowars.org/maillist.html now, as a mailouts will be happening with updates as they become available.

A * $500 * CASH prize has been posted for the winner of the Featherweight class. Additional prizes and sponsorship is being sought for runners-up and other classes. That should put some fire in the fights (and convince new builders to have a go).

Time permitting, we *may* have some time slots for "Novelty/Appliance Bots" and grudge matches to occur, so if you feel like motorizing your toaster or your hard-hat, go for it. The emphasis here is on funny and interesting to watch rather than destructive power, so dont be too serious. Again, this is to be confirmed, since a proper double elim match for 32 bots is going to take up most of the available time.

That will do for now, I'm sure there will be more things to cover as we go along, but once again, the only public-audience live Robot Combat show in Australia is ON ! We look forward to seeing you all there !

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Put me down for 1 featherweight and 1 lightweight. Will confirm the lightweight when it is completed. Are we allowed to use IC motors?

Last edited by Knightrous on Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:29 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

w00t!

put down cobra for that one (featherweight).

and btw unless you have created a time machine to move the event back one day, i believe the title should be december 18th 19th Very Happy

itll be good to get back down there with a working robot this time. something other than a run down lexan box with wooden wheels lol. cya there!

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

Well dont put me down as mine still is a vapourbot but i will hopefully have 1 (maybe 2) going for this event. is it alsirght to drive 2 robots at the event or is a seperate driver needed for each

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:45 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hopefuly 4 feathers and a (heavy ???? static display mabee)Very Happy
have a couple of light weights in the pipe line but probaly wont get time to do the build on them .

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:47 pm 
Timothy Forde
Experienced Roboteer

Well i'm down for one feather (KO)

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:02 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Actually, Parasite won't be making an appearance. If we are taking Vertex, the trailor is going to be fairly loaded and I need some of the parts out of Parasite for the new Featherweight for RoboWars 2.

So put me down for Annihilation and the new bot. Smile

Post Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:44 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Put us down for 2 feathers and a lightweight.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

*Waves his hand in the air estatically* OO OO PICK ME PICK ME

i have 1 Feather and 1 lightweight (will post confermation once compleeted).

oh also WHOOT!!!!! now if my bots performace is as pathetic as the ahniolator i may be peeved but so what it will be great to head down and meet up with you all again and try and show my stuff infront of a crowd... WHOOHOO!! Laughing Laughing

i know this is gonna come up but could any one host me for 2 or 3 days Question

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:09 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Excellent work, Brett!

I would like to come along with Minotaur - will it be allowed in? A few other questions:

What's the floor made of?

Are there any safety regs such as battery disconnects, power lights, or other things we might need to add?

Any special considerations for radios like frequencies, impound etc?

Are you going to set limits on team sizes allowed in the pit area?

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:14 pm 
Ajax
Experienced Roboteer

I have two words.

FAIL SAFE

This is a public event. every one needs

FAIL SAFE

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:41 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, yeah, yeah - everyone needs an IBC Smile

Its up to Brett as the EO and his partner Sidetracked to specify what is acceptable. I don't think we should start a debate on what other events do and why, we need a strict set of guidelines that make sense to the EO and must be met in order to compete. It's Brett's ass on the line if something goes wrong, so we can't complain about any conditions he sets. That's why I want to know early on about requirements so I am 100% ready

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

last year it was power disconnects and power lights.

at least i can legally fight this year, no more sneaking in a switch powered bot while brett is tearing out his hair due to stress Shocked Very Happy IBC power!!

im guessing the pits will be outside as well? that dinky room i dont think will accommodate 32 teams, could get cosy if so Smile

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:11 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

18th and 19th of december mmmmmm not likely Very Happy
worst time of year for folks with jobs and a buisness to run ,
but one day i might get to one of those robowars events :wink:would need to be in januaryof any year lol Laughing

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:41 pm 
colin

Any plans on where this will be promoted? just curious

Post Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:46 pm