www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Damage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Eyce

Well, my IBC is currently under my front bit of the wedge.... with 4mm thick armour over the top of it Razz Not much to worry about honestly, but I do think the Tapout Should Be Introduced, but if you are at a competition in the pubilc, then they would have no idea what happened when the robots stopped. We could use an Air Horn for that Laughing

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:35 pm 
3Faze

Hmmmm, new forum Confused

At the end of the day, it's called Robot Wars . Damage happens. I put omicron in with PIMP2 last weekend, expecting bad damage to the armour, suprisingly, it survived, but when I put it in the arena, I was prepared to end up sweeping the robot up.

On the flipside people do pull robots out of fights they know they can't win, particulary in featherweight mellees if one of the big spinners (Vortex, PIMP2, maybe omicron one day Very Happy ) is enterred.

Post Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:29 pm 
bigjimmy

i have a good answer for protecting the IBCs....... power supply boxes!!

you can find an old computer and rip the power supply box out.. but be extreamly careful they do store alot of volts in them when theyre off..but you just have 2 take the cover off, unscrew everything and ya done. just dont touch any part of the board and throw it away.

i have one in my bot theyre light, tough, have a mounting space for a fan and can fit the IBC and the reciver...im suprised noone has thought of this

the only prob with them is that they are large and if you have a smal bot this might not be the best answer

but dont go pullin them apart if ya dont know what ya doin..

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chris

Jimmy, would it be unreasonable to assume that all of the danger you are talking about could simply be avoided by disconnecting the power box from the power supply? Cool
correct me if i'm wrong.
c'ya from Chris

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:15 pm 
enchanter

tap outs

I will be fully prepared to go home with a pile of scrap if the level of competition is high enough such as a state comp or larger, however I feel smaller matches at a local level do need a tap out rule as competition at this level is really only testing for the big time isn't it? It would be a pitty to loose a bot when its essentially only really being tested.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:45 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Criss stand corrected just disconecting the power doesnt make them safe they have some big arse caps inside that store quite a jolt of electricity the best way is to short them out with an insulated screwdriver acrods the cap pins on the board
iff you dont know much about them then dont play with them unles you know its been turned off for a few months

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
as competition at this level is really only testing for the big time isn't it? It would be a pitty to loose a bot when its essentially only really being tested.

couldnt be further from the truth Very Happy well marayong 6 was pretty well a tester for the annihilator, but the rest of the series is HARDCORE

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:43 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

True that Glen,
We go to a event to compete. Not to play tiddly winks Eg. EL b and sorry. ooh fire pretty. Ohh nobody got it on camera DESTROY Smile.

U Will need to get your bots going good as this will be a serious event. no restarting because something wobbled loose (many matches at metal mayhem latest) and what not.

Post Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:24 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Something wobbled loose? Something wobbled loose???
Are you saying that Hellbringer 2 ramming an oponent so hard into a wall that not only to the connections come off the batteries, but out of the mixer and reciever as well, isn't entertaining enough for you?

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Not as entertaining as watching Hellbringer 2 ram itself to death into Annihilations blade bending the aluminium, breaking a bit of polycarb and taking out halfs the wheel before leaving it dead in the arena.

Then again, when Annihilation lost it's wheel, that seemed to make it more of a game then a battle. Confused

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:05 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Annihilation didn't break the polycarb, we're still using it for the covers on Hellbringer 3. And that wheel was already broken by Budget-bot

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:16 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I believe a small triangular piece was missing at the end of the battle from the corner of the polycarb where Annihilation attacked.

Surprisingly my wedge came up when I rammed HB2 the second time and the blade actually cut the wedge Confused

Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:37 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
If we have formal tap out rule, then competitors must expect to receive the maximum aggression and damage without whinging about it, as they are essentially in charge of the amount of damage done to their bot

What if they have addmitted defeat, thought the fight was over and while waiting for the oppistion to stop move the robot then deliberatly hits the imobile robot. Mad
Adversary lost the wheel and gearbox and was out. I moved Adversary to see what damage it had taken and Annihiltion came in, but only damage the top castor wheel. I believed Aaron was getting told to stop and I had seen that the wheel and gearbox had practically disintergrated and tapped out. Everyone then sat back and waited for Basilisk to stop parading around when is came over and hit Adversary again. Adversary had been fully motionless for 30 seconds (I've watched the video). As you can see I am still extremly up set about this and I avoiding Nick for the rest of the weekend.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:10 pm 
andrew

Yeah u did look upset and i even saw u get angry (shock).

Seriously though, that was a bit uncalled for a admit and nick himself can explain everything as i have no say in this matter.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:43 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

A good battle is one where the floor has to be swept clear for the next round Smile

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number