www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

silvertone reciever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Theres a radio repair guy down here that I plan on visiting soonish, since I have a nearly deaf receiver as well (That one that suddenly expired, sending Scoopy out of control at the Annihlator), and he has a filing cabinet full of circuit diagrams for the various TX's and Rx's.

I dont know how he got them, unless he wheedled them out of the companies or drew them himself, but if your Rx is a reasonably common one, I'd say theres a good chance he might have it. If you want to send your Rx down, I can take it over to him and get him to look at it when I take mine over if you want.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Is that the same guy guy that fixed my 40mhz rx when i blew the regulator on it Brett? If so, I have two more "Annihilated" rx's from the 40mhz for him to fix Very Happy Annihilation seems to be breaking RX's because they were solid mounted to the frame. Now i have the 72mhz rx incased in 2inch foam.

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:48 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

yep, thats him, Alex Wilhelm.. I think Andrew is sending down the reversed IBC for repair soon, so maybe pop your Rx's in with that ?

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

just give me an address and the rx will be mailed by tommorow Cool

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Cool. Any idea for the cost of the IBC and the recievers? I believe this time it is my shout since I blew it up Evil or Very Mad

Post Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:51 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Nope, cant say what either one will cost to repair, until I see whats damaged sorry.. and the Rx's will have to be looked at by the radio tech guy before I can get even an estimate on them too..

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:58 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

any word on whats deafining our bots?

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

too much noise Surprised

anyway ill probably head out to silvertone on saturday and see if i can get a test run of the reciever in the bot and buy it if it works.

failing that i shall revert to contingency plan b - crying in the corner banging my head against the wall

Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:13 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

http://www.microantenna.com/2775.htm

ive still no idea how they work but im sure as hell getting one anyway! gimmick or not hehe oh yeah and they cost $20US

http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm

heres a nice article too.

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:45 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I still cant understand why you have such bad reception and even though my recievers antenna was tragicaly cut down to about 7cm from a fight with waddy bot (it somehow got cut into 4 pieces), i still don't have any range problems. Maybe it differs to glen's because AM is more likely to be affected by interferance then FM... it seems quite random to me! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:19 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Its *very* random. Well, perhaps a better expression rather than random is that there are many more invisible factors at work that we presently understand.. making it apparently random..

I once moved Scoopy-Doo's antenna about 10cm sideways to get it away from the presumed signal-shielding metal of the arm bars, and the range got about 10x *worse* ! Moved it back and it was back to normal.

It made no sense to me, but its fact, so if you're looking for something cheap to try, move your antenna to a few different places and see if that helps..

Opto-isolation and shielding are a few extra things to try, but (as I've said before) by far the most cost-effective improvement we've found so far seems to be the 72/75mhz radios. $120 for a 3ch Tx and Rx from Tower Hobbies and things get a lot better.

I got sick of problems, and fixed it by throwing some $ at it and buying 75mhz PCM radios. End of Interference, but ~+$200 extra over a normal radio.. Still, if it saves you from copping major damage in a fight or two due to lack of control, i figure its paid for itself in repair bills.

I'm considering selling one of my 75mhz PCM Futaba's and changing it to 72mhz soon, (because I want to use it on my Helicopter as well as bots, but all the american ultra-light micro receivers are only 72mhz (their air frequency)). For ground-use 75mhz is fine, but the full-size 8-channel PCM receiver is a bit heavy for a baby electric copter).

So if someone wants to make me a (realistic) offer for a 75mhz Futaba 7CAP PCM Tx and R138-dp 8 channel PCM receiver, I might be convinced to let it go for a bit less than it will cost me change to 72mhz.

Not reccomended for people who dont like complicated radio's though.. If you arent comfy with LCD-menu-programmed computer radio's then dont get a 7C/9C series.

If you like Interference-free operation and are willing to read the manual and learn how to program it, and want to say goodbye to the jitters, make me an offer.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:12 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Shall we start the bidding at $0.10 Very Happy

Just hitting the RMP, those 7CAP's are pretty expensive! Roughly around $500 to land one here, so before anyone makes some bids on it, $400+ is probably what Brett is chasing...

I'll start my bidding at $0.20 Wink

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:46 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Having a piece of metal close to a receiving antenna will only shield it if the piece of metal is grounded. If not it may not affect it or then again it might or possibly there may be a capacitive effect between the antenna and the metal which causes the metal to act as a base loaded antenna and improve things (if the metal is "cut" to the correct length, e.g. 1/4 wavelength, and have the receiver antenna the correct distance from the metal thingy and have the metal thingy correctly polarised to the transmiting antenna). There are just so many factors that affect these things that the easiest thing to do is to just try moving the antenna and see what happens.
My favorite saying when making these things is "If it looks stupid and it works it ain't stupid."

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marto
Experienced Roboteer

I think i have a JR reciever thats almost dead to. I have a few more tests that I would like to do with it but I reckon theres something wrong? Will your mate charge anything to look at it and tell me whether it can be fixed. I am loking at buying another one anyway but its been giving me hardly and range for a while now.

I also believe that AM is better. I use a receiver from a 10yr old RC car and a transmitter my little brothers brought me from the dumb for $2 and I have never had any probs with interference. And if the ariel just happens to get cut off well it just keeps going. Where as i have had heaps of problems with the more expensive fm radio.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:32 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

If you are looking to get your radio repaired, Alex Wilhelm is the guy I went to see a while back. He's a Model Aircraft Assoc Approved Repairer

You can contact him on 03- 9848 5853 (thats his home number, but he advertises it on a few web pages, so I dont think he'll mind if I post it here)

He's not a personal friend or anything, in fact I havent talked with him since I visited him 6 months or more ago, so dont expect any freebies, but if you tell him that Nutty guy from RoboWars put you in touch with him he might be a bit more friendly, I found him a bit stand-offish at first until we had been chatting for a while and he relaxed a bit.

He seemed to be a very switched on guy when it comes to R/C Radio's. How he got his filing cabinet full of circuit diagrams for nearly every radio ever made is beyond me, the Radio manufacturers treat those things like the crown jewels.

*I havent decided for sure what I want for one of the 7CAP's. I think they cost a bit over $400 to land here, so I might settle for ~$300 if anyone is interested.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:19 am