www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

FlameWars - Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well your body ceases to function and you die. you think no more and you experience no more.

if you can show me a way that i can still live in some life after my brain has stopped working id like to know now! (i dont want to be using it if i dont have to Razz)

quote:
Including one time at a church camp when i saw a vision of a figure when i woke up in the middle of the night.

Now u cant way thats purely science.

have you ever looked at the sun and shut your eyes and seen that crazy lightshow..

i guess thats god as well, not your retinas going crazy with the excess of light..

i remember seeing a show on maury povich about some guy zapped with 100,000v of high tension cables and became blinded for 2 years. then he saw a flash of light and began to see again.

i guess nobody realised it was just parts of his brain starting to function again after having the cells vapourised with 100,000v

but hey when i get some beatific vision and my half blind right eye starts to work again ill let you know Wink lol

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I have very little religious beliefs, the only things I seem to use in every day life from religion is "God Damn It!" "Jevus Christ!" and other common cursing to cover up the F's and C's Smile

I'm a person who runs on the I'll believe it when I see it.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:53 pm 
andrew

@Glen- I know what u mean with the sun thing and trust me. I know for a fact it wasnt. I was wide awake staring at it for about 5 mins when i became scared and went back to sleep.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:34 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

The only weired thing that has ever happened to me was at a cemitary and i was sitting in my car with no one els and i had the keys with the centrle locking button on em and i was sitting there and all of a sudden all the buttons locked so i pressed the key ring to unluck em and then 2 mins later they locked agen so i again pressed the button and they locked again and this kept happening for about 45 mins about every 2 mins.

Once we left the cemitary and got back home i decided to sit in the car and see if it would happen again but it never did and still to this day it has never happened again.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:05 pm 
andrew

wow, thats pretty cool.

One of my distant relatives had a daughter that died when she crashed into a tree many years ago. This guy every year on the day of his daughters death spent the day sitting by the tree either reading, sitting or just relaxing (was his way of dealing with it).

One year he returned for his usual remembrance session at this tree, it was a warm day and the air was still. It was quiet with no wind around when suddenly the tree in which the daughter crashed into started shaking violently. It continued for abuot 10-15 seconds then it stopped. The man stood up, said "ok ill leave u rest", then left.

When the tree shook the feeling that was inside the man of sadness, depression and connection was gone and he didnt return to that tree again.

True story and something to think about.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:21 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mm this might be a bigger can of worms than the walker threads lol .. its something i used to think about a lot but these days have not given it much thought at all lol
The god theory i will belive if i ever meet him .. where we came from. Well thats anoter can of worms .. where do we go when we die ? i cant say till it happens .. as for trees shakeing well mabe it was an earth tremor. What is the definition of life ? does it mean something with a concious awarness of its ssurroundings ? are trees and plants alive? are they cabable of concious thought ?..or can life be thought to be something that can grow and colect energy from its surroundings to form a group of attoms that co exist in relation to each other to form other coexisting entities .In saying that ..can a random chemical reaction be defined as a liveing being whilts it is reacting? is a rageing fire liveing while it has energy to consume and convert into lower forms of energy ?...

mm i think i will just stick to thinking about converting electrical energy into kinetic enery for my robots so they can take the life from other robots Very Happy and leave all the philosephers to contemplate the begining and the end of the universe

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:58 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

hmmm so can any of the religious people answer my question? for those who missed it it was "can jesus (aka god) microwave a burito so hot that he himself cannot eat it?

now while this is a simpsons quote and perhaps not the best way to ask a question, it is still a valid question for religion, as it tackles one of the larger flaws/pardoxes.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:32 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

One question for you prong.

Which would you prefere?

A white hot burito.

Or getting your limbs nailed to a cross?

Dose that answere your question?

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:41 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

ummm actually no... honestly i have no idea how you meant that to answer my question...

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:46 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Prong, that question is too hot for me. Pun intended.

Isn't it great that we live in a country where we have the freedom to express our views without worrying about the religious police coming to drag us away.

Free Bible download http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:38 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by chris:
How are we supposed to know that there really is a heaven or a hell, an all powerful god or a Devil or anything else related to the death theory that is put foward in the pages of the Bible.

Here's another thought.... the "devil" is/was an angel cast out from heaven for vanity (amongst other minor infractions). If "god" can't control the actions of his/her/its own servants/angels, what chance is there that said being/deity could make the world (and everything in it).

Another thought for "believers"..... christianity (monotheistic belief - one god) arose from a polytheistic (many gods) society as a cult - the reason the old testament says to not take the religion door to door, is that you would be put to death for heresay. The polytheistic society those spawned christianity ultimately arose from Mesopotamia.

Mesopotamia (the first known city state society of human existance) were the people who invented the wheel, law and punishment (Hammurabi's Law Code - where an eye for an eye first came from) and the first form of recorded faith. In the mesopotamia religion, man was made by the gods from mud. They spent their lives toiling for the church and providing for the priests. When man died, he simply reverted to mud. No heaven, no hell.

There are more religions currently in use (and unused from human history) that claim belief in more than one god/deity, by the numbers - christianity is out voted... can you tell I'm an athiest (somone who doesn't believe in one supreme deity or being).

Laughing thank society that Aust. hasn't got an official religion police.....

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:02 am 
andrew

well with the first part God let the falen angel go not because he could not controll him but because with everything God doesnt force anybody to do anything.

It was "the devils" choice not to be up there so he was released/kast out.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:24 am 
Waddy the phoenix

lol "kast out" is like being kicked out however "released" is freedom of will to stay or go... so did any one find andrew's post contridictally or is it just me being hot and tyred again?

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:39 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

I would not say release is freedom to stay or go. I would take it to mean in this context that the devil wants to go so god lets him, he releases him, as in he does not stop him, there is no wanting to stay or go, only go.

Same as if i say i release a balloon, it has no freedom to stay, release is literally to "set free from confinement, restraint, or bondage", so it would seem release is only applicable if whatver is released actually leaves.

also though i would not say that cast out and released are the same thing, if you are cast out you could want to stay but have no choice.

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:03 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

ok so im semi right and semi hot and tired

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:20 pm