www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

FlameWars - Religion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Author    Thread
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Yes good point! Thats why believers are god fearing.... he he.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I caught the train to work today and sat next to a girl who was studying the Qoran, and I mean studying because she was flicking through a lot of different sections and refering to another note book at one stage and seemed to be enjoying herself. She seemed too busy to notice I was reading Terry Pratchett's "Small Gods" and when I got off the train I realised that they were two books that shouldn't be next to each other. THE TURTLE MOVES!

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:25 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

“...rational thoughts made out of insane components.”
― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

OT I was going to reference Pratchett in a robot name once, but thought no one would get it.

quote:
Originally posted by seanet1310:
Did you read your link at all? (Also, Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources)

Let me help you out

quote:
In fossil fuels ...

At no point did it mention results just being discarded. It presents potential reasons why.
That is the section I pointed out. The fact that I was raising is that all organic material contains C14. If just one in a million contained C14, you could reasonably write it off as error. But why do they assume that every test result is wrong? Is it because it disagrees with the original assumption of vast age?
quote:
Have a read of the website
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/quotes/mine/part1-3.html
3/5 of the way down the page for anyone wishing to find the relevant quote. The reason I quoted an evolutionist is because he believes evolution. Gould's comments dispute what the video was saying.
quote:
If you feel like educating yourself on evolution beyond quote mines from http://www.answersingenesis.org
check out http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html
Actually, I do read both creation and evolution sites from time to time. I like watching debates between PhDs on the subject of origins. It gives both sides a chance to put across their respective views. By the way, I haven't been to the above linked site so I don't know if it is good or bad.
quote:
i remember seeing a documentary that Nazareth did not even exist when jesus was meant to be born there. A quick wiki research seams to support this. Got to love that highly accuate historical record :S (If it did exist, indications are it was extremely tiny and not mentioned in anything non bible for hundreds of years)
Actually, Jesus was born in Bethlehem but grew up in Nazareth. It was apparently an insignificant town by Nathaniel's statement.

John 1:46 (ESV)
46) Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.”

I will get back to your mega post latter. I am out of time now.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:31 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Philip:

All people, homosexual and heterosexual, go to Heaven based only on belief in Jesus. In biblical terms, we are saved by grace through faith.

Jude 1:7: ... forget your bible facts there phil? also
In Romans 1:26-27, ...
No I didn't forget them. I will stand by my original statement. Did you read the verses preceding the quoted verses? In both cases the people first rejected God.

Jude 1:4 (ESV)
4) For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ .

Rom 1:23 (ESV)
23) and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

What about homosexuals who don't reject God and his grace such as those found in the church at Corinth?

1Cor 6:9-11 (ESV)
9) Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality ,
10) nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11) And such were some of you . But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

The apostle Paul calls these people to whom he is addressing, including the homosexuals, in this letter "saints".

1Cor 1:2 (ESV)
2) To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:

quote:
quote:
henever rocks of known age are measured with this method, the dates from radiometric dating are much older than the observed dates. Such as, an eight year old sample from Mt St Hellens being dated at 1.7 Ma and 3 Ma.

I am lazy, Have a read of this.
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mtsthelens.html
Why did you follow my statement about erroneous igneous rock dates with a web page about coal formation?
quote:
quote:
Eph 2:8-9 (ESV)
8) For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
9) not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Does this mean if I have 100% faith that Jesus and God exist as does heaven even if I am the worlds biggest child murderer (well second, I could never catch God) who enjoyed doing unspeakable things to thousands of people I would get into heaven as I had faith and did not boast? At the same time an Atheist (or Hindu etc) who rescued 10 children when a bus ended up in a river, donated a kidney to a stranger who was about to die, has personally built a school, well and taught faming techniques in africa and has always attempted to do right by humans would go to hell?
We are only offered heaven as a free gift by grace through faith. We can never earn it by good works or giving money to charity or heroic acts. The criminal on the cross beside Jesus is a good example of this. Another is a parable told by Jesus. One person tried to be declared righteous by his deeds the other asked for mercy.

Luke 18:9-14 (ESV)
9) He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt:
10) “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11) The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12) I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’
13) But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
14) I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

We have all done something wrong at some time in our lives. We have lied or cheated or what ever else. That means we are all guilty. The Good News is that Jesus died to pay for all the guilt of the entire world. Grace is offered to everyone as a free gift. We can accept it by faith or refuse it.

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 am 
seanet1310

Christian religious leaders. Always keeping it classy.

Regarding the batman movie shooting in Aurora Colarado.

'When students are taught they are no different from animals, they act like it."- Rick Warren

Fring nutter maybe? Not quite. Number 1 best seller on times selling more then 30million copies of a single book and runs the 8th largest church in the USA with 20,000 ATTENDEES ON AVERAGE EVERY WEEK

He also claims his organisation has trained 400,000 paster world wide and 670,000 twitter followers.

This guy is about as mainstream as they come.
http://www.examiner.com/article/rick-warren-aurora-shooting-the-fault-of-evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Warren

So glad I do not need morals from christian leaders and a mass murdering all powerful bipolar creator.

Also, Animals typically kill for one of two reasons.
A) they feel threatened. This guy by all reports planned it, left the cinema and came back. No that threaternd
B) for food or other need. This guy by all reports did not start eating people. Unlikely. Not very animalisitc behaviour, It is however very human behaviour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/08/geology-and-genesis-how-noahs-flood-shaped-ideas-but-not-landscapes/

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:12 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Good work guys Very Happy

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:42 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Another little step towards solving the origins of mankind

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/08/high-quality-denisovan-genome-sheds-light-on-human-evolution/

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:34 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Ha interesting....hey that would be a good DNA test....get a bit of Mary's and Joseph's and jesus' DNA and see if Joseph was the father?....if confirmed that that would settle the immaculate conception story once and for all.....although I guess the creationists don't believe in DNA as evidence just like carbon dating. Sad

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:08 pm 
seanet1310

That was way too good, except that 10 commandment bit at the end.

'Don't deny the hot lesbians. '

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I think Brett was right when he said something like at the end of these types of discussions people say "I just believe it".

At the time I didn't think Brett was right. I thought the evidence supported my belief. But now, I think that my belief guides my interpretation of the evidence. Everyone has the same evidence and people come to different conclusions.

We can come to the same conclusions with hard science on things we can repeatedly test in the present like the boiling point of water or gravitational acceleration, but how can we reach hard conclusions from historical science? In court, a forensic scientist will take the evidence and show how the accused is guilty. The next forensic scientist will take the same evidence and say the accused is innocent.

I think, as Brett implied, belief is the starting point. We interpret the evidence according to our own belief. We judge the consistency of the interpretation within our world view. Then we modify our belief and go through the process again. Sometimes we set aside data that just is hard to interpret.

I hope I haven't put words in Brett's mouth.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:07 am 
Jordan Holmes

All these televangelists keep telling that God wants us to be poor. Well, it not what the Bible says. They keep telling people that they can buy redemption.

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:06 pm