Author    Thread
Windhammer

junky build report (FLAMETHROWER!)

DISCONTINUED

Last edited by Windhammer on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:42 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Umm, they wouldnt be your fingers I can see wrapped around a butane can at the side of the picture there would they ? Shocked

Flame Throwers look cool, but please be *extremely* careful if you dont have experience with pressurised combustible gases. a bit of a flashback and you could be picking bits of pressure can out of your face. Making fire is easy, controlling it safely isnt..

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Windhammer

yes they are my fingers i made the mistake off haveing metholated spirts wetness on my hand and got set on fire. Embarassed Evil or Very Mad Embarassed Very Happy

i just found a big can off morteen bug spray which is really easy to push down on the trigger so the servo should have no trouble!

DISCONTINUED

Last edited by Windhammer on Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:52 pm 
Windhammer

spockie-tech
[ if you dont have experience with pressurised combustible gases. a bit of a flashback and you could be picking bits of pressure can out of your face.]

this is not true about the flame going back into the can. there is (no) oxygen in the can so it (can't) explode. Cool Razz

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:19 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

When flashback occurs, the flame sucks oxygen out of the air back into the canister where it then proceeds to explode violently. Trust me, don't f**k around with these type of things unless you havea pyrotechnics license. It might be cool to make a flame thrower from a deodorant can, but how cool is it when your showing off to your mates and you blow your hand off? Exclamation

I've blown many cans up in my time by dumping them in fires, and I've had some pretty close experinces, my ruling is, just don't do it!

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:34 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

The problem is not the can burning back inside itself, but the flame heating the can or setting the plastic nozzle on fire, and melting the plastic valve. If your seriously want to experiement with flamethrowers then at least use something small with little gas, like a mini blowtorch that will be a lot safer and some sort of valve you can control with a servo.

Personally though i think if you are willing to set up a servo to push the button on a can of bug spray you should not be playing with flamethrowers!! Shocked

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:43 pm 
Windhammer

ive russeled up a small blow touch 340g should be safer and hotter and more controlable similar to a bunsen burner.

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:51 pm 
colin

I could be wrong on this, but what happens when the servo loose signal or power? doesn't it just sit in the same position it was already in? so if something went wrong the flame would just stay on....

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:08 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

I've been thinking of using a blowtorch for a weapon. You can get pencil torches which last for about 5-10minutes for less then 20 bucks. They are also really small, light and have a nossel that can be controled with a simple servo set-up (and I think some can even self-light). I wouldn't trust my life with those cans. I've done it ONCE, and it made the floor of my bathroom all slippery, so I doubt you'll be able to us it in an arena (with the liquid produced and all).

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:51 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

big problem will be when the servo melts from the heat and dies in the on position.

i remember aurora had a servo setup where i used the actual servo horn and mounting bolts as the switch. it melted the hell out of the servo to the point where one died.

and correct me if im wrong but the flames on those butane pencils are an on and off afair. my one takes forever to light with a pack of matches and ive had it relight a few times unexpectedly because the little switch leaks some gas into the nozzle (being a cheap $22 version and all) while its still hot.

i remember seeing a video from a person who shall remain nameless :p who was using a deodorant can as a flamethrower. it jetted back into the nozzle and from what i saw the operator shitted himself with good cause!!

i suggest you read up on the alcholic stepfather guys methods of flame weapon operation. but on the contrary i wouldnt recommend it at all (even after my bunsen flame effect effort) as from what ive seen in them pics, you have no idea!

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
i remember seeing a video from a person who shall remain nameless :p who was using a deodorant can as a flamethrower. it jetted back into the nozzle and from what i saw the operator shitted himself with good cause!!

Yeah, I think I saw that one too! Smile

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:01 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

mmm mabee that person should remain nameles.. Laughing i think i saw that video as well ......

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:45 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

For safeties sake you would have to have a valve that required all the servos power to hold it down, so if the servo died the valve would be able to spring close itself by pushing the servo back.

Though better than this would be some sort of valve that was not operated by a servo, perhaps a spring loaded solenoid so without power it will instantly and reliably turn off.

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 pm 
Windhammer

ok im not going to have a flamethrower anymore because your all afraid im going to kill myself and give a bad name to robotic combat ...So im haveing a spinning bar sloping down the wedge.

so can you all stop posting in my build report Confused Laughing

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:40 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Good choice. Sorry we were all so hard on you, but a weapon is't worth your life. You did well to listen to other peoples opinions instead of going ahead blindly. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:50 am