www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellfire Labs experimental robots - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hellfire Labs experimental robots - QLD

I have deceided to start this thread because we spend a lot of time experimenting with robots and I thought we should share these experiences.

This weekend I have been spending time on a shell spinner I was planing to take down to Melbourne. It was going to be a very simple robot driven by two drills and the weapon powered by a 300psi air crompreser motor given to us by Froggy. This motor would be run at 24V by a NiMH pack and would friction drive the shell through a 150mm scooter wheel attached directly to the shaft of the motor. The shell is a wash tube mounted on one of Hellbringer 3s wheelhubs.
With most of the base of the robot complete I deceided to give the weapon motor a spin to check its spring loaded mount. I connected up the radio receiver and the 24V Battery pack.
We stood back and I gave the motor a couple of 1 sec pulses before giving it a real run up. The motor ran very nicely before the scooter wheel tore it self apart and sent chunks of rubber flying around the garage including one piece into Daniels leg.
After hunting down all the pieces of wheel a new scooter wheel was found and attached to the motor. This time the robot was taken outside while we watched from inside through a window. This time the motor got to full speed before the wheel came apart and flew in all directions but also the motor mount came apart and the motor also flew out of the robot and across the garden.
The robot has now been placed on the back-burner until a new method of driving the shell has been found. Here is a pic of the first wheel:
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=327

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andrew

sounds spectacular,

Could u get a picture of the robot as it stood in testing.

U should have videotaped it Very Happy.

All i can suggest is make the motor mounts stronger and use a small wheel but one with a steel or strong metal/plastic hub.

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:53 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

It wasn't the hub or the mount that caused the problem, it was the rubber explodng off the wheel becuase of the speed it was reaching.

Also you'll notice in the pic the other new robot in the back ground. It has this axe with have been playing with and will have Adversary's drive setup, but not the pods. So far its called Scarifier .

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

On the topic of the FBS style spinner, I've always been wanting to build my gyro bot design, but i have yet been able to get a rim that will suit or get one made (Hardox is too hard to bend...) But I saw a rim at a friends place the other day that if I ask nicely and I butcher it, I might have the change to build my FBS.

I'm interested in seeing how your experimental idea was constructed.

Post Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:04 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I really want to take a second feather to melbourne so I have started building the simplest robot I could think of which also happens to be one of my first designs.
It has four salvaged drill motors set out in a cross around a central body so the robot will run any way up. For a weapon it has a simple flail at one end. Difficult to describe and even more dificult to drive. It seems to have mind of its own and quite enjoys flipping itself upide-down.
I think I will call it Mental Twisted Evil

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:47 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

damn that sounds funky. i understand how its built and all i can say is good luck driving it! :p

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

i was throwing up an idea with something like 4 motors/wheels in a cross and a interesting controll setup as 2 wheels go and u get sideways, another 2 go and u get forward, another 2 go and u get sort opf a strafing setup but not as smooth. Also can spin super fast.

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:04 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Let's just hope there is some solid metal in the robot this time Wink If it's like what I'm thinking of, it will be not just interesting to watch, but hilarious Smile

Post Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:15 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well the 2 robots we are experimenting with for Robowars 2 are coming together nicly so its time for some pictures.
Firstly here's Scarifier.
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=346
Yep, thats chopping boards for the frame work. And notice the 2:1 belt reduction on the drill motors. The MDF base plate is ther for testing only and will be replaced with a polycarb one once all the other parts are done. The robot should be driving around tommorrow, but the weapon won't be firing remotly for a few weeks as it draws quite a few amps, but it does solder wire together nicely. And take large chunks out of the concrete floor.

And here's Mental
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=347
It doesn't have any chains on the flail hub yet as we're using the motor that tore the scooter wheels apart for the motor and we are a bit unsure how to test it. I mean I got a nice bruise on my leg from a bit of rubber from the scooter wheel, but what would a 150g pad lock do?
Other then that she's ready. Just need to wire up the battlepack and she how it dances now it has the top motors in place.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:10 pm 
andrew

That is mega cool guys. i am for anything thats off the wall or different.

Promise me one thing. no reciecvers out back or dodgy ass construction like past machines (no offense).

Have everything bolted down in custom made mounts or hose clamps if need be inside the robot. Build the outside out of ali or have at least a hefty bumper plate on front or back to use for ramming spinners etc.

That axe robot looks terrific. could u guys mayeb post some vids during testing and maybe a pick axe or cutom made spike on a weighty stick would be better.

Just suggestions. other wise very impressive.

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Ouch.

The floor of the RoboWars arena is going to be painted wood.. yellow-tongue to be more specific.. Something tells me its not going to last more than an event or two.. Shocked

The plan is for any major damage to be puttied up with car bog and quickly sprayed black between rounds if it takes major damage that might interefere with the next fight.. I think I'd better detail someone just to that job by the look of things..

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Bring back the steel floor! Cool

Post Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:05 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Very cool, Keros

Post Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:37 am 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Its a dark and stormy night and someone said they wanted a video. So we went out into the lighting and gave Mental a drive test and then came home and gave Scarifier a weapon test. He's the vid.
http://www.abbl.org/~hellfire/crazy.WMV
Things we learnt:
Mental is nose heavy and need ballast in the tail.
The drills on Mental need re-enforcing.
It'll be a good idea to finnish bolting the drive bits in Scarifier.
Wooden axe handles can split before hitting the target.

Brett's not going to like us.

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:50 pm 
andrew

kerrison bros,

they look sweet.
What are u going to use for armour on mental though. Hopefully not just those 2 box'w and some steel box section or whatever that is. I would suggest some serious metal over the crutial parts with a air gap if u can

Post Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:31 pm