www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellfire Labs experimental robots - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

You lot say you get weird looks from the people a Bunnings after buying 3 or 4 cordless drills, well I garantee they look at me worse. Over the last 2 visits I have brought from Bunnings:
1 Ball Peen Hammer
1 claw Hammer
2 Hatchets (Scarifier snapped the handle off one)
2 small Picks (as above)
1 Sickle (really sharp curved pointy thing)
1 Machetie (sorry, spelling. A big knife)
1 Thingy with 2 ninja star type things on it. It looked cool.

This goes with the 2 Seldge hammers, 1 claw hammer and 1 Hatchet we already owned. Basically every time I enter the shop I walk out with a new pointy object and a thoughtful look on my face. Oh and they don't understand when I ask them for the weight of the items.

Well I went and tried Welchy's idea for a sharp pointy thing for Scarifiers weapon and went for a small pick. I now know not to buy the wooden handles ones as I snap then in half (the torque of from the sprocket twists the bolts and they split along the grain). You'll notice in the previous video we were hitting our old VCR like we always do, so I pulled it out to try out the pick. Well I was impressed. During one shot the pick almost went right though the VCR except the handle got in the way. It also goes through 3mm polycarb and 3mm aliminium (not that far though the ali).

The only problem is the pins that go through the sharft of the EV and into the sprocket. So far today I've sheard through 2 split pins, 1 pin from a pop rivit (it worked for Hellbringer 3) and one 4mm bolt. I'm running short of things that small around here.

On an up side I weighed the robot and it seems about 13kg. I'll take it into work and weigh it there once I have the pin problem sorted (they'll want to see the robot working).

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Damn stupids scales. I weighed Scarifier at work and it weighs 15.26kg. My scales at home were out by 2kg. That'll explain why Adversary was so damn heavy. I sat there at work removing bits of Scarifier and weighing them seperatly and I can't find where the extra weight is hiding. Someone has snuck 2kg in without me looking. I figure it must be in the chassis some where. I've noticed that since I stopped using CAD my robots have doubled in size and almost doubled in weight (at one stage The Aggressor was 8kg). Since Monday Solidworks has been given a work out with three new designs.
Anyway, it took me about 10 minutes to strip the weapon out of the robot and with it running on 12V it'll weigh a bit under 10kg. I figure that leaves me 3kg to quickly knock up another weapon. I have already removed the flail from Mental (that robot died quick, didn't it) and have it ready to install tonight, it'll weigh 2.5kg max. Or I could use Hellbringer's saw. Or The Aggressor bike wheel. Or maybe just a Club hammer sticking out the front to stick into Annihilation's and Plan B's spinners.
Either way the Axe will be demostrated this weekend and then packed in with Loki and sent down south. If Scarifier gets knock out of the Robowars II comp early on I'll put the axe on and play with the light weights.

Post Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Well I put the flail on Scarifier and it scares the crap out of me (Philip says I can say crap). Its only got 2 of the 4 bike chains I wanted to put of it, but the damn thing bounces all over the place untill the chain straighten out and it just sit there motionless. The flail is also a lot larger then I expected, about 60cm across. I'm too scared to move the robot with the weapon going, let alone do a full weapon test. The flail is also at a 30 degree angle to the gound and has about 10mm ground clearance at the low end.
The main reason I'm afraid of it was when I had finished wireing it up I sat it out side and turned it on. What I didn't realise was I wired it up wrong so the main power lines to the weapon by-pased the switches so it turned on as soon as I pluged it in. It was lucky I was lying flat on the ground so the flail would have gone straight over my head.

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sounds good guys! Can't wait to see it at RoboWars, lets give these Vic's a run for there money and bring a title up this end of the country!

Post Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:30 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

This is a message to my brother, I hope he reads it before I get home from work, but I doubt it.
2000mcd LED's draw IF 20mA. How's a 510 ohm resister sound?

Also a note to myself.
Methelyne Chloride.

Oh, and Loki is sitting in the shed all boxed up and waiting for the freight company to pick it up.

Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:09 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

With Hellbringer on holiday I have decided to have another look at building a dome spinner.
Lets call her PQ for now. Why? You shall latter.
The biggest problem is trying to find a dome. A kettle BBQ lid would be nice but hard to get. Woks and frying pans etc are too small and large mixing bowls too thin. Metal rubish bins are no good either. Just when I thought I would have to try making something I saw a video of Ouch and its propane tank dome. Eureka I cried and off I went shopping. K-mart has a special on 9kg LPG gas cylinders. It was like fate had stepped in to help. Wink
After spending 2 hours with an angle grinder I finnaly managed to cut the beast in half. I now have a 5mm thick steel dome that weighs about 4.5kgs.
Bearings from an olg trolly wheel, couple of those damn cordless drills, some sort of motor(s) to drive the dome via friction and we will see if PQ will dance for us.

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You guys are trying to build a spinner again! Awesome! 5mm sounds nice and thick, I hope it goes well and I'll see it at the next comp hopefully Cool

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:26 pm 
andrew

could u get a picture of what u have so far please.

would be interested in shape of the dome

also OUCH kicks ass

Post Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:22 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I'm having a little difficulty with PQ.
The drill motors I was planing to use to drive the robot won't fit under the dome so I have been looking at those Dick Smiths $10 electric screw drivers. Not much speed or torque but all I want is something to move the robot from point A to point B.
But it is the weapon motor that is giving me all my trouble. I have decided to use an EV warrior at 24V geared at 1.5 : 1 #40 chain (aka Aggressor's spinning bar but double the voltage). Everything runs well without the dome but once the dome is in place the added weight increases the load on the motor greatly. So much so that the motor pulls on the chain which twists the motor mounts which then loosens the chain and the sprokets slip. The constant sliping of the chain sends shocks through the sproket into the motor and eventually (2 or 3 seconds) the pin running through the motor shaft snaps in three.
To fix this I will now have to make new EV mounts which means compleatly re-building the chassis.

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:09 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

*cough* METAL! *cough*

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:40 pm 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

Try and get some quality cordless screwdrives because the ones we bout didn't even make it into the robot.

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I wouldn't use the DSE ones, I've got a pair for a beetle and i don't think they would last long in it. Maybe you could track down a really small pair of 25w bosch ww motors.

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:46 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Can you suport the shaft of the ev on the other side of the chain sprocket with a bearing block that would take the twisting out of it and also help to stop the shaft bending

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:29 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we did see some pretty small WW motors at pick and payless
for doing headlights on those stupidly expensive european imports and the like.
cant rember the sizing on them though

Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah they where for the little head light things on a volvo.

plastic boxy shaped gearbox and prepare for some highly technical dimensions - you could fit it in your palm.

Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger