Hellfire Labs experimental robots - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

some of your more impressive work,

looking slick Smile

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I just realised that hardly anyone has seen what the finnished Prancing Queen looks like. So here's a piccy.

http://www.hellfire-labs.s5.com/Prancing%20Queen.htm

Scary isn't.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I realised that I don't post enough here and since I have some time to kill waiting for people to wade through the endless piles of paper work I'll describe Prancing queens current state.
I have opened up the EV warrior used in the last event and have decided to write it off completly. The enamel on the windings has been completly charred and has shorted out several of the windings. The motor needs to be completly re-wound. This could be done except that the plastic brush mounting plate also melted. This caused the brush springs to push the brush housings out of the plastic and the brushes no longer make contact with the comutators. That is what caused to robot to stop in the end. The motor will now be replaced with my last EV.
Since the controllers used in PQ are now going into Hellbringer the drive will now operate with servo switching. The weapon will still operate off the robot sporting goods switch.
The 24v battery will be replaced with a 12v one to prevent things from over-heating again. PQ was never ment to be seriously competative anyway.
The dome needs to be completly replaced. The teeth where way too long. When PQ hit something the teeth would distort the dome and also pull the robot side ways and tip the robot over. Now she'll have shorter teeth. I still have the other half of the gas bottle to make a new dome so thats OK.
A new radio receiver has been ordered but I don't know if it will arrive in time.
Oh. Her voice box will now operated by radio. Wink

Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I was watching some old video's yesterday and saw my old anti-flipper robot, Adversary. The old ploycarb frame with the hellbringer saw down the center was really quite a lot of fun with the rotating pods. I remeber driving around quite a few times with the robot only half upside down. Well I've almost decided to rebuild it. The center pod kind of got in the way, since the robot was modelled on Ronin, so now I'm going to put two friction driven saws in the front of the drive pods. I may even buy 2 more recievers so there will be no electrical connections between the drive pods. You could cut the robot in half and its still be able to drive, only in circles, but I can handle that.

It looks like so much fun I'll start it after I finish Sidewinder.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=940

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:08 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Daniel, how would it be if you reversed one pod so that there was a saw at the frount and a saw at the back. The pivot axle could be in the middle.

Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:57 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Scarifier is coming back. Its too close to the top of the Queensland table to retire. So with just a couple of compititions left I decided to drag it back out and put it back into its weapon test bed role. I'm surprised how well this robot works as a test bed, so far it has had:

An electric hammer
A flail spinner
A cordless circular saw
A clamp and lift weapon
Just a straight lifter
Then just a wedge
And a pneumatic flipper

Now I'm going to test two new things at once. A mini-EV chain setup to test a new weapon setup for Prancing Queen and a car jack feed screw to test a Lifter setup for Sidewinder.

So a fast spinner setup + feed screw setup = Scoopy Saw

Thats right, Scarifier will get an over head saw. I have made the arm and saw mounts and tested the weapon spin up today, tomorrow I'll finish those little jobs and look at the actuator to move the arm. I'm surprsed how simple it is.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:03 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Let me know if you want to test it in the park before the next HoC.

Post Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey guys, just wondering how you made the drill motor mount for the clamp mechanism in scarifier, looks like nothing is around the D section on the end of the gearbox to hold the thing in place? details would be appreciated..

thanks

Post Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I wrapped the motor with rubber mat, place 2 peices of ali L-bracket to form a U channel and held them against the motor with hose clamps. The brackets continued past the back of the motor and I drilled a hole though them to act as a pivot point. I figured that with that setup there would never be any side loading on the motor or any load pulling against the motor/gearbox, only a force pushing down. I guess I was right or I would have snapped the gearbox off the motor or ripped it open.

Post Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:52 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Here is a piccy of Scarifier's over head saw.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1076

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:26 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

whys hellbringer only 2 wheels now? is it right to assume the other pair have been liberated for something cool Razz

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:06 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hellbringer now has only two wheels for a few reasons:
1. I was having difficulties keeping the motors and battery cool.
2. The battery may or may not last an entire fight.
3. The robot was too close to the weight limit (close, as in just over).

Also note what's left of the neoprene foam grip on the wheels I was playing around with. Actualy it's all over the carpark now.

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:50 pm