www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

NetBot – Team SubKor – Vic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
aeldric

Sadly the armour will not be polycarb Sad

We are using a multi-axial blend of Kevlar and fiberglass. Smile

I wonder what happens if I do this.......

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:10 pm 
andrew

nice work there.

U guys would have to be the australian version of team cyclonebot or whatever there called.

SO much technology and gizmo's than u can poke a stick at.

ANy piccies

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:24 pm 
aeldric

LOts of technology... no experience.... no viable weapon.

We expect to get our robotic butt kicked.

I will put links to pictures on my site at:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/aeldric/roboWar/index.htm

Post Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:42 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats some pretty amazing User Interface stuff comapred to the simple stick-based RC interfaces we use.. Shocked

I love the idea of this osrt of thing being utilised for the future all-terrain robot wars, but unless you can package it up into a neat little black box, I cant see a large percentage of bot-builders being able to install and configure a single-board computer system.. but hey, there might be a market there.. There are a lot of applications for remote-controlled camera equipped bots in Search/Rescue and related fields these days..

Make sure you come up with some public understandable quotes for the announcer at RoboWars to let the crowd know this is not your average RC bot.

However, I would consider editing your control-system screen shot.. I dont know about you, but having the last thing listed on the screen shot as..

"Command sent to Robot: Stop
Response from robot: "
(ie, nothing)

doesnt inspire lots of confidence.. Laughing

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
aeldric

Heh. Yes, I cut off the final line of the GUI when I sliced and diced the image. The final line says: 1,2,44,44.

Basically just diagnostic stuff. The GUI will change once I know that it works (hopefully we are hooking it up to the motors this weekend).

At the moment RoboWars is our goal, but we are considering commercial applications. The robot describes itself to the server wby using XML, which means that modules can be swapped around and the server will reconfigure the GUI, based on what modules are loaded and working. We are hoping that this is a handy feature in RoboWars - but I figure there might be a commercial application for robots that can be rapidly reconfigured and retasked.

Particularly if the whole thing can be built for under $5,000 (for comparison - a US Army packBot has similar specs, but less functionality, and costs US$60,000)

Post Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:55 pm 
aeldric

Well, we have good news and bad news.

First the good news:
1. Making armour is going well. 4 pieces done. 2 more to do.
2. Brett suggested that the only way this design could be used by others in "All terrain" robotic combat would be to box the electronics up into kit form. We looked at that today. Not hard. The electronic hardware cost us almost $2,000, however now that we know how to do it it can be done cheaper - but still not cheap. An alternative is that we could just post instructions. We are using low footprint boards, low power-requirement CPUs, power supplies that clean the DC power, etc. Other people could just chose to use standard motherboards. Brett may be right about the potential for other uses. Other groups (such as the Big Guns naval people and the tank wars people) may appreciate being able to sight straight down the barrel of their guns... Once the electronics is packaged up it can be used to control multiple motors and a significant number of video cameras can be added before you run out of processor power.
3. The robot is surprisingly mean. It is smashing wood and mangling steel. I will see if I can post some videos soon. The weapon (a spike) is still a bit lame compared to other weapons out there, but the robot is not completely helpless. We may get our butt kicked, but we are going to dish out a few licks. Here is a video David R took during testing: http://www.davidsuniverse.com/P1010329.MOV

Now the bad news. We ran into two problems today:
1. The motherboard isn't quite the shape we expected. When we went to fit it into the robot, the motherboard didn't fit! Drastic surgery will be needed, new armour sections will need to be built, new mountings fabricated, etc. For now, the robot is on an umbilical cord Sad
2. The microprocessor does not behave the way the microprocessor simulator does! This was a bit unexpected. The code runs in the simulator but doesn't work on the microprocessor. David R has found the bug in the simulator (the simulator was supplied by the chip manufacturer), but it will take time for him to debug this problem.

This has set us back a bit. Not certain if we will be ready for RoboWars II, but we still feel we have a good chance.

Given that robot is still on a lead, I am not certain if we should show up to the builder's meet this Saturday - might show up just to say hello.

Post Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:46 pm 
aeldric

Well, I really need to update this.

The bot is finished. Some details are available at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/aeldric/roboWar/index.htm

We are contemplating turning it into a commercial enterprise. An early site on our combat mecha is at http://www.subkor.com

The netbot is a finalist in an innovation award, and is currently on display in Collins St. (I will put details in Announcements when I can find them). It will be on display for a month, then you will see it in the ring.

[/url]

Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:03 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Looks very nice guy! But can it fight Wink

Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:12 pm 
aeldric

Jeez! It is made of multiaxial Kevlar, backed up with steel, it has four different circuit boards running well over 10,000 lines of code... It needs three batteries just to keep it running for just a few minutes.

... and you want it to FIGHT as WELL?

Of course it can't FIGHT!
Very Happy

I guess we will just have to find out Wink

Post Sat May 07, 2005 3:12 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Worst comes to Worst, you can always turn it into an automated arena sweeper Wink

Post Sat May 07, 2005 5:21 pm