www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> General Chatter

Robot videos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

The drive motors would be under the K-Torze logo sticker, where we can't see them. The gearboxes are too small and missing features to be the Whyachi TWM3M gearbox and given the space that the weapon Mag motor takes up, I can not see two more Mag motors fitting back-to-back.

What could be going on is that Mag Motor has a huge range of smaller motors that we never see on bot sale sites and the K-torze crew found a De-Walt sized Mag and used that.

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:24 am 
Ellis

One of the pictures in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4GW3BfQj8

There's another shot of whatever they are at 0:08s.

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:07 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Nice find, Ellis! They certainly look like Mag motors. If the weapon motor is a "Short Mag" A28-150, then the drive motors look a bit smaller to me, with smaller shafts on the back. The wires out of the drive motors are different too - the motors are 4 pole but there are only 2 wires and the regular Mag motors have 4 wires.

I really wonder how they got such a heavy weapon and any armour into the design; Short Mags weigh 3.8lbs each and even if the gearboxes are milled down Whyachi TWM3M models, they start off at 4.5lbs each. If the motors were all the same A28-150 model, they would weigh around 10 lbs after weight reduction and the gear boxes might weigh 7lbs after all that milling - that's still well over half the weight limit

By comparison, Jolt's three brushless motors only weigh 2.21 lbs (1.004 Kg) and I had trouble fitting in 10mm armour. Confused

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:45 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

yep awesome pic ...That bot is a middle weight right?

also the arena they have is so big …it gives room for cool freestyle driving.

Very Happy

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

No, its a lightweight; one of the ones Jolt would have been facing at Robogames. It sure looks bigger though!

Post Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:31 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

It's mostlikely an SR15 series magmotor.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

They are larger diameter than the SR15 series and most importantly the SR15 doesn't have external brush caps. The motor that most closely matches the photo is the S28 series, but even that is not quite right. Looking at the S28 specs, the highest output is only 250W, barely enough to drive a lighweight.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:10 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

You find the specs on the Magmotor page is continuous ratings as they are designed for servo industrial use.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:14 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

True, but the 250W model is the really long S28-400, which wouldn't fit and weighs 6.8lbs. The shorter models might fit, but have even lower power ratings and torque.

The other problem is that the S28 motors are a smaller diameter than the A28 series and would be a huge PITA to fit to the Whyachi TWM3M gearboxes. To fit a regular short Mag, you first have to take off the front endbell and then fit the can into a recess in the gearbox - a smaller diameter motor would float around in the recess.

I am genuinely puzzled about what those motors are, perhaps the builders somehow got customised motors?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:51 pm 
maddox

It looks like somebody is very hard customizing.

The 2 double wires of the magmotor is no rocket science to change.
2 Single leads can save a few grams and make for easier soldering on the connector.
The way the wire sticks out indicates hard wire, like the original mags have, and not a replacement with the wet noodle silicone wire most of us use now.

Milling off excess volume and weight of existing gearboxes is someting I started with way back in 2001.
I'm trying to keep that to a minimum now. It makes for time consuming replacements afterwards.

Concerning Magmotors. I had the joy to customise a few S28-150's in the past, but I never liked them. Even running unloaded they tend to get hot in a few minutes. Never a good sign for loaded running, and it indicates they are overvolted.
I can imagine an S28-150 being a fine motor for normal applications on 12 or even 18V, but @24V I would rate them S3 class, if all the rest is kept in perfect desing and order. And then I mean it shouldn't draw to much amps.

I would aim for 50 amps for 3 minutes and then an hour cool down. But that's just gut feeling

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Good points! I have used the short Mag in Scissorhands since 2008 and they get VERY hot drawing around 40A at 22V. As a drive motor in a lightweight, they would probably draw much lower current on average and not get quite so hot.

I once tried rewiring a Mag and it ended very badly, with the insides of the motor ripped to shreds. To get 2 wires out of a 4 pole Mag, it would probably be safest and easiest to just cut & join the existing wires really close to the motor, but then why would they use the super stiff tinned wire rather than something more flexible & user friendly? I used wet noodle wire, stripped and tinned the last 7cm, formed the resulting stiff wire into place and covered it with heatshrink. It worked well for a few competitions...

Another motor than might fit the picture is the F30-150. its the right diameter for the gearbox and $110 cheaper. Its also 0.9 lbs heavier, so maybe a long-shot.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:33 pm 
MikeNCR

I'd give very good odds that the drive motors are the A23-150 that can be seen here- http://ampflow.com/small_high_performance_motors.htm

Power, dimensions, wires, and brush caps all match.

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:34 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

U nailed it, that fits the bot photo perfectly! That would mean the gearbox probably isn't the Whyachi WWM3M gearbox though. it must be something smaller. I wonder why that motor isn't more popular and sold on the RMP?

Post Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:20 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

RoboGames is this weekend and there has already been a problem. It seems a bit of steel punched its way through the roof.

Post Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Damn that's nuts. Any photos? Curious if it's just old polycarb failing or new poly getting clean broken through by the latest high KE spinners.

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:44 pm