www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellbringer X and Loki - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hellbringer X and Loki - Hellfire Labs - QLD

I am putting both of these robots into the same thread as they are very similar except for the weight. Hellbringer X is a feather-weight Brick / Pushy-bot and Loki is a light-weight version of Hellbringer X. I like the boring Brick / Pushy-bot as they suit my aggresive and suicidal style of driving.
Hellbringer X is made from Aluminium / Steel / Polycarb / anything else that would fit. The only weapons are 8 spikes on the front and a 3mm ali bash-plate on the back. The drive is 4 XU1 drill motors run at 24v from a NiMH pack via victor 883 controllers. Think of a smaller Hellbringer 2 with armour around the wheels (Philip will be pleased).
Loki has a welded RHS frame and polycarb armour for now. It is driven by 4 100w scooter motors at 24V. Just servo switching at the moment. I am having some dificulty keeping the timeing belts tight so I would be grateful of any suggestions there.

As for the names of the robots, well:
A Hellbringer is a Claner Omni-Mech from the BattleTech series of novels (aka Mechwarrior) and Loki was the Inner-Sphere designation for the same mech.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

sounds good, you might want to be wary of running the drills off the 24v nimh, thats how i kept blowing motors apart in cobra, but i guess singularity works of his nicads..

as for the belts, how about some blocks of chopping board screwed into the base with a curve filed onto it so they tension the belts.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
andrew

one thing i must suggest is that 3mm ali for a bash plate is quite thin indeedy.

If its 3mm steel maybe but at least 5mm ali if weights an issue. if not then get some 3mm -6mm steel if possible.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:35 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The 3mm ali with lots o' holes worked on HB3.

Post Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

After the above post regarding XU1 drills at 24V I have done a little research on the motors. This is what I have done to all the motors in Hellbringer:

1/ I submerged the motor in water and ran it at 6V for 15 minutes to wear in the brushes (creates more surface area in contact with the comutator therefor less resistance and therefor less heat.).

2/ After drying the motor I sprayed all the moving parts with silicone lubricant.

3/ the motor was then run for another 10 minutes at 6V.

4/ The gearbox was re-attached (nylon gears replaced with steel ones and grub screws in the clutch) and the motor was run at 12V for 15 minutes.

5/ motor and gearbox put back into the robot.

6/ turn on TV and vegitate.

Post Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:58 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I will admit that I have only been building Hellbringer for a week now but I just took it for its first test drive. Very fast and runs straight, turns well and smoothly. A clutch needs tightning and some armour added and it will be good to go.
Pics coming soon.

Post Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:45 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have re-done the motor and wheel mounts to keep the belts tight. Just need to stick the battery and speedos back in and add some balast to get the weight up.
Here's a pic:
http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=416

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:17 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Wow, a Kero robot that has actually been welded! I don't know weather I should be shocked or confused Cool

Post Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey keros,

a thought popped into my mind a while back,

with loki at 16.8kg and you having that huge actuator laying around, have you sorta put 2 and 2 together yet?? Smile

i think a crusher on loki would be freaking sweet

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I did put 2 and 2 together and got the answer of "Andrew won't let me". It was something about making it wider or something. I didn't understand because at that stage we hadn't started building it yet.
Any way I have other plans for that actuator rather then looking pretty. Its still in the claw setup after the annihilator.

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:09 pm 
andrew

wel slap andrew in the head and tell him "come on, pretty please let me"

could work. u never know Very Happy.

Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Give it ago, you can only do a Nick and realise your 5mm to short after a months planning and welding Smile

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:53 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

(Andrew here Cool ) I just relised how long it has been since I posted here.
You all should know what the robots where like in Melbourne so there is no need for me to finnish the Pre-Melbourne stuff so here is the Post-Melbourne bit.
Hellbringer X : Obviously I never got around to finnishing the receiver / receiver battery mount which is why I lost my first fight. The power switch for the receiver got pulled away from the battery during that first hit with IG or when the robots spun apart, I can't tell which and it doesn't matter. All cables in the robot where cable tied or duct taped down as they should have been so that was the last of that problem. The mounts will now be made.
The next problems where the Front and rear armour being bent and the spikes being bent apart. The armour was going to be braced internally with ali braket but I didn't get around to it. The spikes being pulled apart was actually a big problem as this also pulled apart the front motor mounts and was the reason that two of them where duct taped together on the Sunday. I don't know exactly when this happend but it was sometime during that first melee. Two little bits of Ali will solve that.
And last of all was the motors burning out. They lasted a lot longer than most people expected which I credit to the extensive prep-work on the motors (read in a previous post) and the Big Red Cooling Fan. The first three motors that went during the Stainless Rat fight lost their brushes which was most likely caused by a combinating of dirt in the motors, too much heat and lots of shocks through the motor. The fourth motor couldn't handle the load and quite literaly melted. The only way to solve this problem is to move up to larger motors.

Loki : This one went well considering it was only welding practise. It only went to Melbourne when I found that it wouldn't cost me anything to get it there. It will be completly re-built but will keep the scooter motors but not the wheels. George put us onto the place where he got the wheels for his great light-weight so I will get me some of those. We will see what happens as far as a lifter or crusher goes.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:56 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
It will be completly re-built but will keep the scooter motors but not the wheels

You guys interested in selling the 4 scooter wheels to me for $5 each? I'm only after the wheels themselves, not the molded timing pully, so if you wanted that, you/I could just cut it off. I've still got to see if Andrew is going to the House of Carnage to see if we can bring Loki with us.

Give us a yell if you wish to sell the scooter wheels, very interested Cool

Post Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:44 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I am bored here at work so I am going to update this.
I pulled apart the burnt out motors on the weekend while watching Terminator on DVD to see exactly what happened to the brushes. It turns out that I actually melted the copper brush retaining springs which snaped.
Also quite a lot of the robot will need to be hamered out flat again.
The EDTSim software I ordered months ago finaly arrived yesterday. A team T-shirt I also ordered did not arrive at Jims place so that caused a delay but I asked to have the shirt replaced with spar HTI motor so I got that instead. After playing around with the software and the motor I have decided to get a couple more and stick them onto the old drill gearboxes. I will buy some SS2 gearboxs when I get the money.
The biggest problem I am having is traction. Despite The non-slip paint on the floor down at Melbourne Hellbringer spent the whole time skating around the arena and was difficult to control. I don't have this problem on concrete. I also notice a lot more wear on my tires after driving on concrete while almost no wear coming back from Melbourne. Those wheels the Plan-B guys are making look excelent but do they come in either red or black? How abot 150mm wheels with 1/2 inch bore and 1/8th keyways?
(hint hint)
Got to go. I am getting odd looks from the girls in the clean room. Not supposed to use the test equipment to surf the web. Cool

Post Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:29 am