Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

LMAO!! Laughing

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:04 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

*the other kero* Careful. My brother get very cranky when he's tried. My sister won't ring us in the morning in case she wakes him up and he answers the phone. And the way he was acting last night he hasn't slept in a month.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

BTW Kheeroos, what ever happened to Loki, went missing for a while I remember.
I think King PIn has developed a bit of a CRUSH on your robot.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:04 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

SInce there is not much intereste in light-weights up here I havn't bothered with it much. But I am considering changing it into a off-road type of thing.

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Ok. Here is what happened to Hellbringer on the weekend. I started writing this earlier but my boss walked in.
Only two fights and a melee on the weekend. First against RP7 and the second against Cheese Shredder. The first went for the full three minutes and I had difficulties with controling Hellbringer. Because we were taking three robots to the event and only had two PCM receivers I deceided to put my old 2ch AM receiver into Hellbringer.
Boss again. Later Shocked

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:30 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

You lazy bum, get back to work.

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:21 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I thought I was on my lunch break but he had other ideas so ease up.
Where was I?
Oh yes. With the 2ch in Hellbringer I had to recalibrate the Victor 883s due to the limited throws from the mixer I was using. When I arrived at the event I first gave Hellbringer a range test in arena before my first match but found the range to be less than 2 meters. So with only a few minutes to go I simply switched receivers to the one from PQ. But instead of recalibrating the Victors I simply lowered the end points on my 9CAP to mimic the output from the mixer. But this all made Hellbringer as twitchy as hell.
So I spent most of the match slowly edging Hellbringer around RP7 before wedging him and ramming him flat-out into a wall. All was good until at one point I attempted to back away, turn 90 degrees and drive out into the center of the arena. Instead Hellbringer raced backwards, spun 180 degrees and attempted to drive up the arena door and got stuck on its rear end. It seemed like 45 seconds or more before people were convinced that Hellbringer was stuck and the match needed to be paused. After that more fighting before time ran out. Hellbringer won by judges decision.
Next was the fight with Cheese. I started out with the PCM receiver and re-calibrated Victors. It started well with lots of wedging and ramming but all of a sudden the batteries went flat in both Hellbringer and my transmitter at the same time and it came to a halt. So I lost.
I put the 2ch receiver back in for the first melee so the robot was out of control for the whole match until it backed into a wall and tried to push the arena over. Smoke started coming out before it stoped completly. No good.
My post comp inspection revealed that the thiner automotive wire was a waste of money because the insulation simply melted allowing the wire to short directly accross the battery. All the wire needs to be replaced and most likely the battery as well since it didn't to good anyway. I am testing them now to see if they are any good.
As for the SS2 gearboxes and HTI motors I am VERY happy with them. Not a problem all day. But the wheels need work as the keyways I attempted did not work as the hubs of two of them have cracked and will need replacing. So now I need to think about wheels.

Now my fingers are hurting from typing so I'll stop here.

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:44 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Hellbringer is one powerful beast. Hellbringer is not bothered by the weight of another robot as it slams anything in it's path into the nearest wall.

Andrew managed to replace a burned out motor and fit two new wheels to keep Hellbringer in contention for a deserved win.

Once Andrew makes the hubs that he has planned, it should be even more unstoppable.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

A burnt out motor.... over volting i guess. It's a pretty good machine, gave me a fright when I get stuck on that poly carb wedge with Cheese.

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:44 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

As always, at the end of a comp I have a list of things that need to be improved. That is why I've always built bricks, I've been trying to improve on Hellbringers origional wind-screen wiper motor drive. Wink
So here we go:
Must get metel hubs for the wheels. Plastic keyways do not work. Rolling Eyes
And the hinge point of the wedge needs to be moved back so that when the weight of another robot is placed onto the wedge the weight is evenly distributed onto the four wheels. Think of Bambulance.

And on the note of motors burning out yes I burnt two HTI motor. The first was when Evil Spike rammed a spike through my front left wheel and locked up the motor. The second was in the final where I had only one wheel left attached fully which placed a lot of load onto the motor. Once I get the wheel hubs and the wedge/weight distribution problems sorted the motor burning out problem should also be fixed.

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Keep up the good work guys! Hellbringer X is coming forwards in leaps and bounds. Glad to see a slight conversion into using steel too Wink

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:51 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Are you having the hubs custon made or are comercial ones available?

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:40 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

I didnt realy look at the wheels you had but is there room to bolt a 10mm ali plate to the back of them and put the key way in that . I use a similar idea on t2m as it has lawn mower wheels but i made slots in the plate that lock into the plastic spoke things in the inside of the mower wheels .

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:58 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have been looking all over for wheel hubs and here is where I'm at:
The robot market place no longer stocks suitible wheel hubs. The only wheels stocked by Jim with keyed hubs weigh approximatly 1.5kg each so thats no good.
The only place I have found to get the hubs is www.cncbotparts.com but they are very slow in responding to e-mails. It looks like they will cost around $30 US each.
Or I can buy a lathe off ebay for around $700 -$1000, a broach set for $300 and a press for $100 and make my own. This last option will be looked into more later on.

Also the new battle packs I ordered over a month ago have not arrived so I sent Jim an e-mail and the response is not good. Here is the E-mail:

"Andrew,

the distributor who makes these battery packs unfortunately has bad news. Please read below what they told me this morning:

The GP3300's have been on B/O since mid april.. the manufacturer has been telling the US distributor "next week" for the past month and a half.. dealing with GP/China has been an immense nightmare, I tried to obtain 'em direct, no stock available. Those folks don't seem to have ANY other answer other than 'next week'.

We did recieve a partial shipment of badly damaged cells, on inspection they had to be returned, fire damaged inventory is unuseable. The replacements.. same situation. None in country, more expected 'next week'. We currently have thousands of dollars tied up with the suppliers on the 3300's and we WILL have them back in stock here first.. again; latest info is 'next week'.

So basically what has happened is that these particular cells have been very hard to come by lately. We can take care of this whatever way you feel most comfortable with:

1. Keep waiting on them, hopefully they will ship out "next week"
2. Change the order to use packs with a different cell than the GP3300s
3. Cancel the order for a refund on the batteries (have you received everything else at this point, or are you still waiting on more?)

let me know what you decide. Again, I am VERY sorry for this inconvenience.

Thank you for your support of the Robot MarketPlace."

So I am stuck with my old packs for now.

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:01 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Would you consider getting a price on the manufacture of custom hubs from a local engineer?

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:11 am