www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hellbringer X and Loki - Hellfire Labs - QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author    Thread
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

I have good news and bad news about Hellbringer.

Bad news first.
I have sent several e-mails to the robot combat market place and have had no replys. I am getting really worried as I have paid him quite a lot of money for batteries. Aparently I am not the only one with this problem.

But the good news is very good!
My new wheel hubs have arrived!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
They are the two piece colson hubs from cnc bot parts. They look very nice, weigh next to nothing and fit perfectly on the SS2 gearboxes. Now I just need to make some wheels (So far they will be made from mdf with neoprene foam grip) and it's all good. I posted a pic in the photo album.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Didnt Jim (RMP) just move from one side of America to the other ?

He's probably still in chaos-sort out from the relocate, either that or his battery supplier is stuffing him about. still, he could keep you informed, even if its just a form-letter I suppose.

I'm sure he'll catch up sooner or later, have you tried ringing him ?

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

The news section of his website reports that he had finished relocating on the 7th of June (but one of his servers was going to be down until the 10th). My brother has read on the RFL forum that no-one in the US has been able to contact him but apparently orders are still being processed. I understand that there is some problem with the batteries but I also had some other stuff on the order that I asked to be shipped without the batteries but I havn't had any sort of reply.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

After one year of sitting in the corner of the garage Loki was finally pulled out of its cardboard box, which it had been packed in since it left Robowars 2. On monday the old wheels and motor were stripped out and it still just sat there. But in the last 5 hours it has been upgraded. It now has 20cm pneumatic wheels, which don't fit into the wheel wells, so the rear wheels are internal and the front wheels are external. The 300W scooter motors also don't fit without grinding the frame right back, so we bolted them to the top of the robot. it'll be right as long as there isn't any over head thwack-bots (oh shyte, I forgot about Maestro Wink ). All the batteries and electronic where ripped out of Hellbringer and dropped into Loki in about 5 minutes work.
So we now have Australia's ugliest robot. But at least its fun to ride around on. And it only weighs 20kg, we could add another 2 300W scooter motors if we had the parts.

http://www.robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1107

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:30 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

It is ugly, but it alos looks tough Very Happy

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:39 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol frankenstein robot. least its got the power edge over king poochy this time Very Happy (6kg for a weapon... ) Razz

youve still got that huge actuator around dont you? *hint* hehe

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Will you bring Loki to HoC? I would be interested to see it in the flesh.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:53 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
least its got the power edge over king poochy this time Very Happy (6kg for a weapon... )

I think everyone is going to have more power than KP this year. Especially since I added more chain and another sprocket to the front wheels.
Already noticing big voltage drops so will have my work cut out for me this year.
Please dont add more motors Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:19 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

How hard does Loki have to work when you are riding it? Would it run continually with a person on it? Do the motors over heat? Is the current quoted on the Oatley site stall or continuous current? How fast is Loki? Thanks.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:43 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Sorry Philip but we only had one nearly flat battery pack for testing and since Loki is being shipped tomorow we wont have another chance to test it.

Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:51 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

With Hellcat put aside for now it looks like Hellbringer will have one last chance to redeem itself.
Simple design. I will use the existing chassis (steel pipe cut in half lengthways and welded to form an outer frame/armour) but will try 2x 100w scooter motors for drive. It's not that the SS2 gearboxes didn't work but the choice of HTI motors at 24V was not real bright.
The rest of the robot will be the same.

Long live the Brick!

Post Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:24 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Hellbringer is ready to go.
I simply welded a couple of 100w scooter motor assemblies into the chassis and it's done.
After a test drive this afternoon I found out that with the weight distributed the way it is at the moment the robot is almost completly uncontrolable while driving forward but backwards is all good. As soon as one wheel looses traction, even just a little bit, the robot goes into an uncontrollable spin. I'll drop in a gyro and mixer tomorrow and see how that goes.
I am going to jump onto the picaxe bandwagon and make my own mixer with inbuilt flip channel so I can operate the gyro while inverted. If set up a seocondary channel that will invert the signal going to the gyro and again out of it that will allow me to run the thing up side down.

I will also make up a bolt on weapon pack of all the pneumatic stuff so I can enter Hellbringer as a lightweight flipper.

Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:57 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

Here is the last report for Hellbringer before the Brisbane event.
As a feather weight it is all good except for that mixer I made. The gyro does something unpredictable with the servo pulses going in and out of it and it is now too late to find out what is going on so I will just have to drive Hellbringer without a gyro.
With the pneumatic flipper on top of the robot it can't turn so I will add a caster under the front to fix that. I have also split an o-ring in the valve on top of my CO2 paintball bottle so the valve leaks when removed from the robot.
Apart from that it is all good.

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:43 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

I want to rebuild Loki. Since Loki was a Lightweight version of Hellbringer I modeled it off the only version of Hellbringer I designed.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 pm