Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 94, 95, 96  Next

Author    Thread
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Yes it is. How did you recognise that?

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:00 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

They are great for brushless motor shaft replacement…..every time they have throwout day on the streets, we grab em for their rods.

-Pickasso- Vivid Sportsman champion 2015

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:20 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Just broke the lifter while testing. Aussie Battler might be just a lifter and not a grabber. I am worried it might be too difficult to make a reliable mechanism at this late stage.

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:49 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

How did it break?
Any photos of the mechanism?

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:16 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I was testing the self righting and I broke the aluminium. I don't have room to make it thicker.

You can basically see it here. There is a hinge at the back.

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:20 pm 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Apparently you can braise ali with special rods…that might save you making it again.

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:07 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Thanks. I could try to save this design, but in the time and space remaining I don't think I can get it to be reliable. Imagine if Citizen Flips throws me and I land upside down or a saw blade catches my upper arm.

Post Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Aussie Battler has an Aussie battery holder.

I just need to rebuild the arm and then it is finished.

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:13 am 
marto
Experienced Roboteer

It is far less cool like that.

Post Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:55 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Aussie Battler was far less cool without his upper jaw but half of the sportsman class were spinners. I did try several ideas to make the upper arm stronger, but that would just transfer the force further down the chain. Anyway, the event.

Aussie Battler v Hydra. There was one robot I did not want to meet, Hydra. Hydra has a full width drum at the front. I thought the drum could catch on my lifting arm and smash the plastic internals of my linear actuator. So I was sad to see that was my first fight.

How do you fight a full width drum spinner? Rob is an experienced driver and would not let me get around him so the only option was to charge in from the start. Aussie Battler pushed Hydra around a bit and got in a couple of lifts. Hydra gave Aussie Battler some nice tooth marks. Aussie Battler took the win.

Aussie Battler v Slinky. Miles made an interesting robot. It is a spring powered flipper. Slinky wasn't quite working as well as Miles would have liked but this was still a very tough fight. Aussie Battler was lucky to get the win.

Aussie battler v Berserker. The fight with Berserker was going well enough until Aussie Battler's battery connector fell out. Doh. Win to Berserker.

Aussie Battler v Skeletor. Skeletor had taken some damage during the day and Gary had done very well to keep his machines running. Skeletor is massive so Aussie Battler had no hope of turning it over. Early in the fight, Aussie Battler lost a tyre. (mountain bike tread on cutting board) The tyre was half on and putting a lot of drag on the left side. It took a lot of correction to make Aussie Battler drive in any direction. I decided to keep in close to Skeletor rather than get back and ram him. Aussie Battler got in some tiny lifts and was awarded the win.

Aussie Battler v Citizen Flips. Oh no. A well constructed robot that was still running well and driven by a brilliant driver. Oh no. Aussie Battler is small and sits nicely on Citizen Flips' flipping arm. My only hope was to out drive him and not get flipped for three minutes. Yeah right. We dogged for a while, but Citizen Flips got under Aussie Battler and threw it into the air. Aussie Battler landed propped against the wall. (Anyone remember the Marauder v Cobra fight?) Citizen Flips wins.

Steve did a brilliant job with the event. It ran to schedule. All of the roboteers were quick to recharge and repair their machines to keep everything rolling along.

I will probably build something else next time as aluminium and parts that stick out are no good in a spinner environment.

Some thoughts for next time. Finnish building before the morning of the event. Test drive before arriving at the competition. Make the battery bay easier to access and get a spare battery. No cutting board wheels.

Post Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:49 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Phillip -what servos do you recommend for ant flippers?

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:35 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Corona digital servos. Maybe this one https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-ds-843mg-digital-high-torque-micro-servo-4-8kg-0-10sec-8-5g.html I will have a look in the shed after sunrise. Edit DS919MG https://hobbyking.com/en_us/corona-919mg-digital-metal-gear-servo-1-7kg-0-06sec-12g.html

Digital servos are better than analogue servos even if they quote the same torque.

I like to work on 300 grams of weight on the tip of my lifter and work through the system back to the torque required at the servo.

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:25 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

Oh they look cool- thanks revealing your secrets-do you power them just from the reciever or from battery?

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:47 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I power them from a voltage regulator. The B328 does not have a strong enough voltage regulator to run them off the receiver. If you are using a BotBitz speedo, you will have enough power to not need an additional regulator. Alternatively, you could use a high voltage servo and poewr it straight from the battery.

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:50 am 
miles&Jules
Experienced Roboteer

I was just planning to plug em into the hk reciever? Running it off its on esc would be a lot heavier ?

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:53 am