www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> State Specific Information

Judging.NSW season 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
Bort
Experienced Roboteer

I've already discussed most of these issues with jake at marayong a few weeks ago, and it seems the discussion we had and the discussion occurring now on the forum are identical. And there's one problem with them...

...THEY ARE CYCLICAL!

They just keep going and going and going...

They will only stop when, as nick said, we find a way to make sure the field is even. So this discussion will keep going, the spinners will say the sport is about mayhem, the wedges will say its about battling.

So what are we going to do about it???
Does the field need to be evened? If so how?

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:45 pm 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
We need something that evens out the field so that no one style of bot has an unfair advantage.

What if the length of bouts was increased to 5 minutes, so that tactics can be more readily seen.

To an extent we are limited by the fighting enviroment. If the arena had a low wall (or no wall) seperating it from a drop off, an out of bounds KO is possible too - which eliminates the need for a destructive KO.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:55 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

5 minutes was how we all started off, it was just too long and the matches started to get tedious anyway.

quote:
If you really dont like the present system and want to change things, then the next best solution I've heard is simply to have X number of judges who simply say "I thought Bot A won" without having to justify their decision based on any criteria

thats what weve been doing at marayong from day 1, it seems to work well enough.

well as ive said if anyone ever bothered to look up the battlebots system of judging a swear blind its as good as you could possibly have it, ive never really seen a wrong call in all the battlebots matches ive seen and heres the criteria of it taken from "battlebots the official guide"

JUDGING AND VERDICT

if the bout goes the entire three minutes without either bot being incapacitated, the outcome is decided by a panel of three judges seated at arena ringside. judges score each match in three categories: aggression, damage and strategy.

AGGRESSION: is a measure of how often you attack your oppenent, how boldy and how severly.

DAMAGE: is just what it sounds like: how much damage you inflicted on your oppenent, either directly or indirectly with the arena hazards. a weaponless robot that successfully and consistently pushes its opponents under the pulverizors can outscore a robot with a ferocious weapon.

[b]STRATEGY: measures how successfully you carry out a game plan that exploits your robots strenghts against your opponents weaknesses, while protecting your robots weaknesses against your robots strengths. (note: running away does not count as strategy).

the first two are judged completely equally so the spinner peeps and pushy peeps are happy, and the last one is just a generic form of judging that favours no particular type but covers aspects like plan b smashing scoopys arm so it couldnt saw its thin lid, and me jamming myself under ballistics flipper so he couldnt flip us, strategy is impartial to what type of weapon you have, it just cares about how you use it.

now where is the problem with that.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
The way this discussion is headed, Jolt, Plan-B, Orbit, and reboot should either retire or go "totally offensive" as the only real way to win.

Not at all.. I think you misunderstood what I meant Nick..

I wasnt implying that a spinner has to knockout its opponent to win, just that if it doesnt want to be judged on its driving and agressiveness, but more on its damage, then it needs to do enough damage to KO its opponent . If it cant do that, then it will also have to do well in the "driving" categories to have a chance..

quote:
By that logic a wedge or ram that scores by control or imobilisation isn't doing enough if they can't permanently imobilise their opponent by propping them up or tossing them out of the arena.

If they dont want to be judged by the DCSA categories, then that is correct, they need to KO someone. But I have no problem with someone winning through a combination of SCA even if the damage points are low. My responses were meant to say that if you want the judging to be more about damage than the other areas, then do more damage.. Wink

quote:
They shouldn't be penalised but the attacker should be rewarded for inflicting that damage.

As they are.. thats what the damage points are for. I'm arguing that damage should not be over -emphasized against the other categories, unless it is sufficient to result in a KO.

quote:
Should Singularity have won just because it was still moving?

Not at all.. Just being alive at the end doesnt mean you won, but it does mean that the other bot didn't inflict enough damage for a KO, so there is no reason for the damage that was caused to outweigh the other categories.

quote:
We need something that evens out the field so that no one style of bot has an unfair advantage.

I like the current judging standards.. If someone can come up with something better I'm open to change, but I havent heard anything I like the sound of yet..

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

all i have been trying to get through ,is as stated............ treat a wedge attack,a spinner attack a saw attack ,a flipper attack and a succesful ram attack .......as good as each other thats all i have tried to say ..because if we go with the 'oh its only cool' if theres bits of robot scattered all over the arena .then folks our sport is doomed ....... :(and im not interested in other countries judging criteria ....all im suggeating is give every design a chance of winning in a judged battle enviroment

Last edited by chrisjon65 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:53 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The way I see it, it's a Robot WAR and the bot BATTLE. If you look at real life wars (this is a tad of topic) you'll notice no war is ever won by pure all out attack, nor solely on stradegy or defence.

I believe BattleBots has one of the best judging systems in the robot combat world and it's tried and proven. I'm going to let you spinner and wedge boys talk yourselfs till your blue in the face Very Happy

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:58 pm 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

not interested in battle bots and the like ....its about how the folks we have battling at each round at marayong that im concerned about, and how they see judging Very Happy cause thats what will keep the loosers and winners happy .or should i say content Wink

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:22 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

So what Chris is saying and what I was saying several posts ago is exactly the same thing, just different words Smile. A good dent (damage category) is equal to a good wedge (control category) and driving is largely independent of the bot. Hurrah - its all settled! Cool

The system we used last year at Marayong wasn't really 'broken' it was just a bit undefined. The suggestion of nominating 3 judges before each match was excellent and AFAIK universally agreed upon. Perhaps if Jeff J. or Chris gave us all a recap on the judging critera at the start of each round so its fresh in veryone's minds then we will have as fair and accurate judging as anywhere in the world.

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:19 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

we should get as many judges as we can
so however many balls there are lol

and the sweetner is judges get preferential "seating"

Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

just when you thought it was over Wink just a damage opinion, dont want the folks to think a cut with a saw blade is worth any less than a chunk out with a spinner im sure you all know what im getting at ..........i would still like to see people focus on the build up to an attack and not just the damage at the end of it Very Happy it just concerns me that people just starting to build might think they have know hope at all of winning a battle ..........................and folks please remember .ahhhhhhhhhh i did it without a destructive weapon Wink Wink and be warned ill do it again hahahahahaahahaha Wink

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:31 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

well nick i guess you and i should retire our bots and put some car keys on flails then mount them on RC cars we can get hundreds of damage points then. think of all the scratches we can put into polycarb with that setup

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

I designed this setup with big purple fluffy air freshener dice on the end of the mag motor - the plan is to make the other bot smell like a 1970's Valiant until it dies of shame Smile

Post Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:53 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

LOL

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:42 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I'ce changed my flipper mechanism so that it now makes gestures in an attempt to convince the other robot to flip upside down by itself Smile

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

well gents if you gonna give every match to a spinner then what the hell you've convinced me.... a spinner i shall have ....... no chance of winning any other way 2 spinners coming up !!!!..cant beat them join them ...............so it shall be Wink

Post Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:27 pm