www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

New DumBot on the way!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

New DumBot on the way!

Well, inspired to play with pneumatics after driving El Bravo at Robowars I picked up some bits and pieces from Gary's favourite junk shop to take home and try out.

On new year's day I did some experimentation, including running the rams from LPG because my compressor is dead at the moment Smile Stinky!
I also put a pressure gauge on the LPG cylinder and found that the vapour pressure is a bit over 120psi on a reasonably warm day.
I tried out the idea of using car fuel injectors as valves for the gas, which worked pretty well, but they don't give much flow so the rams move slowly.
I dug out a few old fire extinguishers to use for pressure tanks, and made the world's most useless extinguisher by filling one with LPG Smile

Today a friend came over, bringing an air compressor, so I could do some proper experiments, and a little bit safer Razz

We found that at about 125psi I can get over 50kg of push out of the smaller rams, and on the largest one it spun the dial around twice on a bathroom scale and then crushed it!
The scale is now mangled and reads a good 8kg lower than it used to Razz

I modified a fire extinguisher for some more flow out of the nozzle, and pumped it up to around 100psi, then connected it to the medium sized ram I have (small diameter, but long stroke).
When the extinguisher button is pressed the ram extends faster than you can see - and the ram itself hasn't been modified at all yet for more speed. I think a decent solenoid to operate the extinguisher valve could work very well. This could drive a flipper or a hammer style weapon very nicely - and it seemed to do a fair few shots from the one tank pump up.
I've also designed a semi automatic control system that will basically fire the weapon, vent the pressure, reset it, and re arm the trigger from one input pulse, which would make it very easy to use, and wouldn't waste pressure by keeping the firing solenoid open for longer than needed.

I found another fire extinguisher that was a bit different, and wasn't designed in a way that makes it easy to attach filler tubes or output pipes. This is unfortunate because it seemed to have a larger valve setup than the other one, so it may have been even faster!
I decided to try out another idea with this one.

The hardest thing about getting air out of a tank is doing it quickly. Small valves are easier and more reliable to do, but they can't flow enough air for really fast acting rams, etc.
Large valves can flow more air, but they're obviously slower to open, so you end up with a slower pressure build up, which can waste some of the time you have to accelerate something like a hammer weapon.
I wanted a valve that can be controlled easily and quickly, but would dump a lot of air as fast as possible.
Turbo cars tend to have a blow off valve, which is normally held closed by a spring and turbo boost pressure, but opens when the driver releases the throttle, to vent off excess pressure - which reduces shock on the turbo, and gives better engine response when the throttle is pressed again.
These valves normally only handle pressures of under 1bar (under 15psi), but they flow a lot of air, and open very fast.
I had a spare factory Nissan blow off valve lying around, so I finally found a use for the aluminium welding / brazing rods I bought a while back, and attached its intake pipe directly to the end of the fire extinguisher bottle.
The blow off valve has a plunger valve in it, which would be pushed open by any pressure in the bottle, but it has an actuator with a diaphragm in it pushing on the other side, fed by a small pressure line.
As long as there's the same pressure in the actuator as there is in the bottle the valve will stay closed.
This proved to work quite well, with the BOV holding up to 100+psi of pressure, although it did leak very slightly. I think some grease on the valve surface may improve that.

With the tank pumped up to 100psi and the pressure feed to the BOV diaphragm suddenly disconnected the effect is a single bang! with all the air being released from the bottle instantly through the 1" outlet pipe.
As a quick test I put a steel pipe on the end and fired various things out the end Smile
I think this thing would make an excellent spud gun!
I'm hoping to try this either on a modified pneumatic ram, or on a custom ram I'm putting together at the moment Smile

One other thing I have only partially played with is building an internal combustion ram to drive a flipper. I figure if I ran it on a small butane canister there's very little chance of a fire, and it should produce quite good repeatable flips without the power dropping off or needing large air tanks.

So, the weapon experiments are well on their way, now I just need to sort out the drive system Smile

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I gotta say Andrew, if there is someone who can combine Cars and Robots, it's you mate! You had El Bravo drift racing across the arena like a race car, now your build bots with car parts in them for high speed action. Keep us informed on your experiments!

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:39 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Sounds like you've been busy and having fun there Andrew Very Happy

a couple of things before you get too far down the track though..

I dont know that many (any) competitions will allow you to use a combustion-powered ram.

Buffer-tanks seem to be the norm in most pneumatic bots to get around the problem of trying to get sufficient flow out of the main storage tank valve.

I'm not sure about 100psi Air, but dont most compressed air/oxy fittings/gauges have "Use No Oil" printed on them ? Maybe its only a warning for oxygen, but grease on a pressure fitting might not be a good idea.

Other than that, it sounds like you're planning on starting the Australian equivalent of Inertia-Labs.. Laughing be careful though, high pressure pnuematic bots would have to be about the most dangerous type there is.. blink, and you're dead if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

This won't be high pressure pneumatics really - I'm looking at 200psi max, and with pretty small tanks there's not enough air volume to cause really major damage if something fails.
There will be some safety built into the final bot though!
I don't think grease on the blow off valve will cause a problem, but I'll certainly check it out properly before using it in the robot! Don't forget that pneumatic rams all have grease in them too. Maybe the warning on air compressor stuff is more to do with oils damaging rubber seals in the fittings.

I think I'll need to build a combustion powered ram even if I can't use it anywhere, just to see if it works. The funny thing is that it's probably safer than most pneumatics, because there's nothing at super high pressure except the ram when it's actually firing.
The small butane canisters only contain a very small amount of gas, and it's at quite low pressure so even if one was punctured it couldn't cause a fire bigger than a brief flash of flame (yep I've tried it Smile)

After looking at the various bits I have, and what they weigh I think I might even be able to get a flipper and a hammer weapon in the same robot.

By running two of the smaller rams on the flipper (which are extremely light) with a 2:1 leverage ratio to get more lift out of the flipper I should still be able to get well over 50kg's of lift.

I can then use the long ram to power a hammer, which could be a nice secondary weapon.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
andrew

i think u should focus on one very good weopon.

either a very good flipper or a very good hammer instead of trying to fit too many eggs into one basket so to speak.

also during a match it wold be hard in the fast paced action to really worry about lighning up a hammer shot instead of ramming and flipping, rinse and repeat.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:49 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Some bots are hard to flip, and others are hard to hammer though, so it would make for some extra versatility.
I'm hoping to end up with a good flipper and good hammer in the one bot Smile

Here are some pics of the parts so far (I'll take pics of the other rams and stuff tonight):

The extinguisher valve:
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=491

The longer of the rams:
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=492

Blow off valve extinguisher setup:
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=493

Air fitting mounted in the bottom of the extinguisher bottle:
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=494

Close up of the BOV:
http://robowars.org/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=495

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:16 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

sounds good Andrew ...the fuel powered ram might be feasible but getting the corect air fuel ratio in the ready to fire part might take a bit of work mabe a two stroke cycle where the top part of the ram is used instead of a crank case so when the ram is getting puled down air fuel is puled in the top section when the ram is fired the botom section expands untill it uncovers an exaust port and also uncovers the transfer ports so the compresed new charge gets pushed into the cylinder and scavenges the rest of the exaust so its ready to fire again ......this would also give you some end of ram dampening jut before the ports open . you would probaly need a fairly short stroke ram though ..and it would require some sort of pre prime set up for the initial power stroke

Last edited by Totaly_Recycled on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:05 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

There are many commercially available oils for use in pneumatic equipment such as nail guns. These are the only lubricants that should be used in pneumatics especially when using compressed air to prevent a diesel type effect.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:05 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Totaly_Recycled:
sounds good Andrew ...the fuel powered ram might be feasible but getting the corect air fuel ratio in the ready to fire part might take a bit of work mabe a two

That's pretty much exactly my plan, but the fuel will be directly injected into the combustion chamber using an EFI fuel injector. This makes it a lot easier to control the mixture, by accurate injector pulse width, and means that the first firing is quite easy as long as the air in the ram is fresh, and not full of exhast gas.
I'm not planning on having a compressed mixture for combustion, even though it would be more efficient. The piston won't seal well enough to hold chamber pressure between firings, so I'll have a larger chamber that operates at atmospheric pressure.
If the chamber is at least as big as the swept volume of the cylinder it should still provide decent power.

quote:
There are many commercially available oils for use in pneumatic equipment such as nail guns.

Yep, I'll be using air tool lubricants for all the compressed air stuff.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:14 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Good to hear. Flippers are fun.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:25 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Sure are!

I think I'll end up building the body out of fairly thin steel, because I have the tools to work with it and it's cheap.
I'd like to use alloy, but it does end up getting pretty beaten up, and I can't weld it with the gear I have.

So far I'm planning on a 3 wheeled setup, with a large single driving wheel at the back, and two small wheels at the front with steering.
The idea of 3 wheels is that they're all always on the ground, without having to use suspension - so I can keep good grip when getting bounced around, etc.
All the drive system weight will be as far back as possible to increase traction, and the front wheels will be right at the front, so they can take the force from the flipper.
I'll probably use one 300W scooter motor with chain drive to the rear wheel, as it's lighter than two 100W scooter motors and should be very reliable.
The drive train should be pretty efficient, so I won't need huge batteries, although I'd like to have an on board compressor for more flipper life.

For the pneumatics I think the easiest way will be to run two extinguisher bottles, with one's valve going to the flipper rams, and the other's to the hammer ram.
That way I can get high flow with easy control and not require any expensive solenoid valves.
I'll add an extra fitting into the bottom of each tank, and connect them together with a t-piece - to equalise pressure between the tanks and provide a spot for a fill valve.

I think I've worked out how to build the actual weapon section, which will also be quite simple and light - thanks to using the same pivot point for the flipper and the hammer, and the rams being positioned in an overalapping layout to save space and keep all the piping as short as possible.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:38 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
I dont know that many (any) competitions will allow you to use a combustion-powered ram.

Wasnt there a bot in season 2 of Robot Wars that had an internal combustion ram driven spike ? Pretty sure it got knocked out in the first fight it was in. I just remember a bot introduction with the fanatical builder going on about it, I think he said it used petrol. Ill look around for a pic / website for it and post if I find it.

ffej.net

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

if the tank is ruptured during a battle ,can a spark ignight any of the fluid???
Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:53 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

well it could Smile
The thing is though, that for a 3 minute battle there's very little fuel required. The small butane canisters for pocket blow torches etc only contain a very small amount of gas, so even if it was full, split open, and set on fire it would make a very brief bit of a flame and that'd be it.
Certainly not enough to set anything else on fire.

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:01 pm 
Giant Robo
Experienced Roboteer

LMFAO at the lpg fire extinguisher Laughing

Oh, No! in Andrew I think Iv`e created a Monster!!!

Post Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:05 pm