Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
prong
Experienced Roboteer

eh I reckon build it for yourself!

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well it depends on how well i build it in the first place but im probly gonna have to spend the big money so it probly will be mine in the end. but ive gotta get started on finalizing the plans so a question.

@ nexusThose thing attached to the motors are angle grinder gearboxes right. if so where and what did you get them off?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Um they are from anle grinders, not sure what you are asking.
YOu just get an angle grinder, remove the plastic case with the 4 screws and then get another angle grinder and grind off the 240 volt motor and then ponder how u will attach your plantery to the stumpy bit sticking out of the end. That parts really the catch apart from mounting them

The ones I am using where from a fleas market (yes, run by fleas), found it better to buy a used brand products rather than buying nu and cheap.

My advice would be to find angle grinders that have the extra 3 holes on the face plate as they increase its strength as they act as a face mount which helps the shocks go the the main body as early as possible before they get to the cast alloy body of the grinder.

Post Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

after storing nexus instuction away for the next robot, i at back and thought i haven't updated this for a while i thought i might do that.
things that have happended

:i've recived the pully system for my weapon

:made my weapon switch (all importaint)

:cut out a couple of the mounts for the motors just waiting for a couple of bolt for proper mounting

:found a whole bunch of steel tubing varius lengths/thicknesses in the shed for bot use (yaaaaaaaay)

: looked at pack of nicads on shelf from 18v drils and thought bout turning them into 12v packs if weights an issue for it.

and to top it off i managed to get the motors to sit right and nicely (they don't budge when i lean down on them i weigh 60 odd kg)

Down side is when i add all these weights in my head i run out weight for armor, looks like lexan for me if worst comes to worst (damn)
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:59 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well i put in another day of massive thinking, planning and building to my robot to which i must admit the end is near.

i put in four hours of grinding drilling bolting and placeing and it looks like i could have done it in one Mad, god i hate it when you look like you wasted time but you didn't. might have some pics of it in it's latter stages of completion for all your viewing pleasure.

might have to weigh it down at the butcher shop where i work to see it's weight and freak out as it bounds over the 10-11 kg mark and start my radical diet for the chubby MOTHER F$%KER to lose some weight (it's what happens when all you do is sit on a shelf all day).

but hey when all of the stuff is inplace it's armor time and it should be the easy part (i hope).

Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:34 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

ok got some pics for you lot here:
first and second ones is of the motor mount assembally were hopefully going to use

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/dragoonarie/5bf1bca7.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/dragoonarie/d3d37962.jpg

this one is how everthing is all nice and snug underneath it all

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/dragoonarie/948fcb84.jpg

and this is of the pully system attachments to run it.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/dragoonarie/f2b7ac5e.jpg

after spending the day talking with my dads mate whos aboiler maker to see how were going to weld the bits on and making up a mount for my reciver in some stytofoam i came on to this forum and swore really loudly and woke the family up as i remember i havent included a failsafe in my design so another thing to buy would be the recevers that have one built in, damn
mind you id like to see you come overhere to make me put one in brett Very Happy

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:39 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You can make your own failsafes with some PicAxe08's easily enough that will take up about as much room as a matchbox and cost about $5 each.

Remember, the failsafes arent for when the bot is in the arena.. it cant actually hurt anyone there..

They're for when you charge down your driveway showing it off to your mate, you hit stop on your control and the bot merrily keeps on heading out into the middle of the street into the oncoming traffic, weapon spinning, scaring crap out of a mother of 4 "babies on board" who promptly plants her 'burb-beater bimbo box into the tree on the side of the road trying to avoid your wacky creation.

Or you're demo'ing it at school, and just for fun "charge" the teachers car, or your least favourite person in school to scare them a little when your bot decides to suddenly develop selective hearing.

Stuff like that will make you wish you had a working failsafe. The PolyCarb arena walls dont really care that much, so its not for me, its for you..

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, those little picaxe chips seem damn flexible, only problem is programing them... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:33 am 
andrew

im gonna have to agree with Brett thar dude

I have had a few instances where my bot has gone weird and come to life on its own and one instance resulted in a paint tin cut in half (first version of scrap in full body spin mode, man stopping that sucked). and saw blade versions who have triggered blades when its been on bench on power up and stuff

Worst case at least failsafe any dangerous weoponary that the bot has but making a dangerous bot safe isnt hard.

I was able to make my bot failsafe 100% drives and all using drill speed controllers and servo/switch/relay setup for woepon all that it required was a spare servo and a store bought failsafing unit.

Simply have a microswitch wired between main poer and eveyrthing else that when triggerd kills the connection. The failsafe is attached to the servo. So if anything happens or i turn radio off the failsafe kicks in, servo goes back to pre set position and hits microswitch killing entire robot, all for maybe 25 bucks of failsafe and switch. Better than losing an arm and something happening that youll always regret.

Also added advantage and also ultra safe is that u can activate yoru bot from your radio set as above is also a rc switch to turn on the robot Razz

Also to your above post, u dont need a reciever that has failsafe built in, just get a little faildafe dealy from a hobby store for 25 or 20 and do above or just for weopon

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:08 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Angus, Picaxe chips arn't hard to program. I just wrote some code for a failsafe module using a Picaxe 08M chip. 15mins work, and I'm no guru with picaxe Razz

Code as follows:

;-------------------------------------------------------------;
;Team Distructive Technologies
;PicAxe 08M Failsafe
;Written by Aaron Knight
;Copyright 2005 Aaron Knight
;Last Updated: 10/11/2005
;Note: This is NOT a professional failsafe!
;-RC Channel Definitions
symbol fail_low = 90 ;0.9ms - failsafe below here
symbol fail_high = 210 ;2.1ms - failsafe above here

;-PicAxe Pin Definitions
symbol rx = 1 ;Pulsein from Reciever
symbol sx = 2 ;Servo output

;-PicAxe Register Definitions
symbol chan1 = b0
symbol fail = b1
symbol temp = b2

main:
pulsin 1,1,chan1
if chan1 <= fail_low then failsafe
if chan1 >= fail_high then failsafe
let fail = 0
let temp = chan1
servo 2,temp
goto main

failsafe:
fail = fail + 1
if fail <= 4 then main
if fail = 4 then shutdown
goto main

shutdown:
servo 2,150
pause 250
goto main

There might be a few bugs in that code because I haven't tested it myself, but I'm confident that it will work. Basically the code takes the signal from the reciever, screens it with my failsafe code, which checks to see if the signal is within the 90ms-210ms range (I made this a little bigger then the standard 100ms-200ms to cater for radios that are slightly out of tune) and then if it's not valid, it goes to the failsafe code.

In the failsafe code, it also counts, I've added it so it needs 4 invalid signals before it shutsdown, this should be fine for drive motors and slow weapons (crushers and lifters) as it will only let 80ms of time pass before shutting down but I would change this to 1 bad signal shutdown it if your going to use this on a flipper or spinner. Once it gets 4 bad signals, it tells the servo output to shift to the 150ms mark, which is centre. It then waits for 1/4second (250ms) to prevent the shuttering effect we notice with the IBC during repeated failsafeing.

Any questions? Razz

EDIT: Fixed two things in the code

Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:34 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

ok this is gonna probly be a stupid question but what parts make up an ibc?
im gonna try to build one using a picaxe chip to make a two channel speed/weapon controller and id would like to do it by my self so i can learn how to do it.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:32 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Look at (and figure out what each section does) the circuit diagram on the last page of the IBC manual here
http://www.robowars.org/docs/ibc-docs-v0.1.pdf

The PicAxe wont be fast enough to do two channels of PWM motor control (and mixing, and failsafing, and weapon control) in the one chip, you need something at least as fast or faster than the Atmel 12mhz micro (which is programmed in machine code, much harder than basic).

You could probably use two seperate picaxes, one per motor channel, but you need to do the mixing in your radio then, since each wont know what the other is doing, so they cant do the steer mixing - unless tank steering is ok with you.

Or just use the Atmel Micro like we did. The code is available for free (for non commerical use), already written and debugged.

Read up on the data sheet for the HIP4081 chip, its the magic ingredient that makes driving a full H-Bridge of possible, and you need to *understand* how its FET voltage sensing, charge-pump powered gate switching, and Bridge switch timing aspects work properly if you dont want it to go boom.

Then, theres the (expensive and fiddly) low-voltage switchmode regulator (and associated coils, caps and switching diodes) which enable the IBC to keep ticking through a brownout (voltage sag) as the batteries get low. Without it, you need to either run your circuit from 24v, or somehow make sure it *always* stays above about 14v, or your driver will stop.

Now add in a 4x thick copper circuit board to handle the current, some blocks of aluminium, a bunch of fets, Tranzorbs for spike protection, and you're pretty much there.

Problem is, I'll bet you're up over $400 worth of parts, and you havent written/debugged any driving code yet.. Shocked Any mistakes in your program tend to cause expensive smoke when working with high power controllers, turning bugs into booms.

A better area to start with if you are new to motor power control, would be to aim to develop something like an electronize controller that uses relays for direction reversing, with a single FET to do the PWM speed control.

Much easier to get started with and less likely to go bang since you dont get into the complexities of driving an H-Bridge of Fet's, with their "variable high side gate drive voltage" problems and "crossover shoot-through" etc.

If you really want to build your own IBC, just copy the circuit diagram from the manual to a circuit board (working out the track routing in the process, unless you *really meant copy - in which case it would probably be easier to ask jason to buy a blank circuit board - but they're not cheap, thick double sided copper and all),

Then buy all the parts from somewhere like DigiKey (www.digikey.com). Pricey, but they should have everything - noone in Australia does. If you want to get the same price on parts the Jason gets you will need to buy them in lots of 200+ at a time.

Buy/Build yourself a Micro programmer (about $50), and setup the operating code and download software on your PC.

Polish up on your fine surface mount and heavy Fet-Track soldering skills.

and awaaay you go.. Wink

(It really isnt that easy, is it ? If you're motivation is to learn how to do it for interests sake and you dont care what it costs, I'll be pleased to help teach you how they work for free.. make sure you have some $ ready to buy lots of parts though.

If you think you're going to save yourself some time or $, Forget it. Theres only about $50 worth of Labour in the IBC's price, and thats a professionals time who can do the job about 20x faster than anyone else cause he's done hundreds of them and has all the tools and bits right there - If someone asked me to make them a "one-off", I'd put the price at something like $750 taking into account all the stuffing around to get 1's and 2's of everything.

or, Talk to Aaron about his Pulse-50 project that is closer to finished, that would be a much more achievable first controller for an electronic DIY'er.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Repeatedly whacking yourself in the nuts might be less painful.

I have read where many people have tried to build their own speedos. They have often spent three times the purchase price and still do not have a working speedo.

Good luck to you though, if you want to do this for education and for the experience. I applaud your bravery.

This mob stock the Electronize (as mentioned by Brett above) in your neck of the woods. Discount Hobby Supplies 5/27 Augusta Street, Willetton, Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA. 6155. You could buy a kit from them if you choose. Only the 15 A is available in kit form. http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:10 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
This mob stock the Electronize (as mentioned by Brett above) in your neck of the woods. Discount Hobby Supplies 5/27 Augusta Street, Willetton, Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA. 6155. You could buy a kit from them if you choose. Only the 15 A is available in kit form. http://www.electronize.co.uk/model_electronics_frames.htm

Just hack the 15amp electronise. Replace the fet with a IRF1405 (Same as the IBC) and then hack the relays on the electronise and wire in some external 30/40amp relays.

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:40 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Ya big al, i've investigated that before, and the IBC really is extremely cheap for what it is Smile !
Another, cheaper route that works well which many people have used is microswitching and tank steering. For some reason its easier to tank steer microswitching then mix it (probably due to the slightly different contact time throwing you off!).
Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 am