www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Hyper-MSD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Tracked bots don't get any weight bonus, so they fit into the weight classes (eg, 13.6kg for a featherweight). If you want to go cheap, i think microswitching is the way to go. Although fidily and not too good, it will at least get your robot moving and after my test set, i made one that gave me next to perfect control (i can post a pic if you like). After that however.... you can invest in variable speed control, and either get something like the IBC, or 2 victor 883's. There are heaps out there, but i'm afraid standard hobby ESC's aren't good enough. Smile

For hobby ESC's, try www.ebay.com.au
It's WELL WORTH registering! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:48 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I have read many reports from people who have tried hobby speedos in robots. They all say that they are no good at all. Dyrodium is right. Go for a good speedo or micro switches.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:00 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah nearly every hobbyweight robot out there uses tekin or Mtronics hobby controllers

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

The traxxas XL-1 is pretty cool for a car esc.
Only issue is its 8.4 volts but apart from that its worked good.
Ran those at the last event at rye and not a problem, they usially live in T34 which does put a load on them and have thrashed them for a couple of years.
They cost about 40 US and handle stalls of up to 100amps so if you had motors to match they might be usable.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:49 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Some 9.6v maximate drill motors"same as xu1 and kk2 only with 9.6v motor" and run them at 8.4v they should be fine as its only 1 cell less.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:06 pm 
kkeerroo
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by dyrodium:
Tracked bots don't get any weight bonus, so they fit into the weight classes (eg, 13.6kg for a featherweight).

I'm not entirely sure your right there. There was a rather large discussion on the ABBL forum just before it went tit's up about wether segmented tracked robots should get at least a 15% weight bonus. I remember it because I was worried about Adversary's tracks being over weight.

Secretary of the Queensland Robotics Sports Club inc.

Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Never knew that, but was it passed? Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:27 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I think it devolved into the usual "What counts as a tracked Robot ?" discussion Rolling Eyes that inevitably occurs whenever peolpe start talking weight bonuses..

IIRC, We had *sort* of settled on the idea that if it *couldnt* drive without its track, then it might be OK to give them a small bonus. (Ie, the driven wheels that drive the tracks werent allowed to touch the floor enough to allow the bot to move if the track was knocked off or damaged).

That way, it stops people from wrapping a large rubber band around their 4wd bot and claiming them to be tracked bot. There might have been something about multi-segmented tracks in there as well.. I dont remember exactly..

If anyone wants to go searching, the old forum is available at http://www.robowars.org/abblforum/

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:58 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

all right before we start a massive discussion in my build report i was just asking to see as if i could attach a set of gears to my bot and be allowed for the bonus. (cut two extra holes and add a sprocket simple Rolling Eyes )

any way the main prob with the speed controls is that the place where the nuts go in sould stop where the batterys going into there rightful spot. (a problem designing stuff when you don't actually have them)

i post pics of what i've done so far (a rare glimpse Smile )
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:59 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

unless i can find a person to host my pics there be NOTHING. i finaly got it wired and running around (just wires and stuff) but i found that the motors dosn't turn very well(not at all to be specific) i'm using mecanical speed controllers and power isn't an issue so what could be the problem?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon May 02, 2005 11:28 pm 
Ali

first of all , if i can remeber correctly weren't you going to use those Tamiya like speed controllers ? If you are there are supposed to be for 7.2 v hobby motors and i think you motors can't really handle it . Second finfing a place to host your pics are easy go to www.imageshack.com register and bam you have a place to host pics ... for free !!

Post Tue May 03, 2005 3:04 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

You realise you can put the pics in the RoboWars Photo album and host them here ?

you just cant hot-link to them. you just list a URL in the message pointing to the album location as you often see people doing. if want to hotlink them, then you will need external hosting.

Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:16 am 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Anyone know where to host vidio files?

Post Tue May 03, 2005 9:02 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

@ ali i have some 7.2 v mecanical speed controllers but they handle it very well considering (resister only getting a little hot)

@ brett the pics are too big to be uploaded

Post Tue May 03, 2005 10:45 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

so shrink them down a bit. who wants to look at a 1600x1200 res image (or whatever) when you're web-browsing anyway ?

Post Wed May 04, 2005 2:14 am